Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Have One On Me Discussion

pummelled gall-nuts afloat in urine
    there's a stray tweet from Francesconi somewhere saying Joanna didn't like the final product.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    "Soft As Chalk" is one of her best songs.

I couldn't get into her first two albums but I'm loving this album.

Quietly weeping to Esme while I wait for my Divers vinyl to arrive.

I think HOOM is the rare triple album that actually justifies its format and length perfectly, and Newsom has woven so many disparate threads into it, that it makes a perfect piece of work as a whole. That being said, here's a fun exercise: How would you cut Have One on Me as a single-disc album?

I don't know how I didn't know this, and maybe I missed it somewhere in this very thread, but I didn't realize that lines from Baby Birch came from the children's book The Runaway Bunny. I saw it, of all places, on a Humans of New York post about a woman whose 7 year old son died of cancer.

“I think I have post traumatic stress. I have so many horrible flashbacks. Two weeks after Max was diagnosed, he asked me if I’d be his Mommy forever. I said, ‘Of course I will.’ And he asked: ‘Even when I’m ninety?’ And I told him ‘yes.’ What was I supposed to say? And there were all the times he talked to me about the future. We’d talk about college. I just couldn’t tell him. God I was such a coward. I should have told him. I just couldn’t do it. Even toward the end. The day before he lost consciousness, I read his favorite book to him. It’s called Runaway Bunny. And the little bunny keeps threatening to run away. And the Mama bunny keeps saying: ‘Wherever you go, I will find you.’ Oh God, it was such a horrible way to die. He couldn’t speak or move or swallow or see. He basically starved to death. And the whole last week I’m whispering in his ear: ‘Let go, let go. Please Max, let go.’ My seven-year-old son. I’m telling him to let go. I mean, fuck. That’s not supposed to happen! And the whole time I never told him he was dying. I was such a coward. But he knew. He knew without me telling him. Because a couple weeks before he lost his speech, he asked me: ‘Mommy, do they speak English where I’m going?’”
    Ugh, now I have to listen to Baby Birch and be sad again.

OMFG Ryan, I read the same thing and I cried my dumb face off. Baby Birch was the first thing I thought of. I knew the reference - my mom read it to me and so did my grandmother.

ETA: I actually read that book to my friend's kid and almost lost my entire shit.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    Thanks guys. Now I'm crying in public.

pummelled gall-nuts afloat in urine
    HEY HEY HEY THE END IS NEAR

i haven't needed comfort/catharsis jo in a while
    Last edited by Andrew; 11-09-2016 at 10:31 PM.

^ "Esme" has been doing it for me.

Kindness prevails.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by take_offs View Post
    Kindness prevails.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    You guys I think I'm just realizing how amazing Soft As Chalk is. Like, whoa.

7 years later and just now learned that the fox picking off the goldfish in their sorry "golden state" is a pun.

7 years later... and I feel I'm hearing No Provenance for the first time. I never heard the rythym before as remotely interesting, but it's got a jazzy level I never thought about. She's incredible!

This album. Mad love. I have only praise for it. So rich and bursting with creativity and beauty. I used to drive my boyfriend crazy with this 'cause he passionately hates her voice. His loss. The track "In California" alone is made of so many ideas like an entire album of certain praised musicians...
    Last edited by Butter Moon; 08-02-2017 at 01:44 PM.