Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Have One On Me Discussion

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Really? I have never felt "soothed" at the end of Only Skin. I am usually sobbing. LOL!

I do think there's bitterness in this record that didn't exist on Ys, though. All the songs on Ys, despite their sadness/intensity, have this sort of amazing innocence and sense of wonder to them. I think both records are extraordinary musical/lyrical/artistic statements.
    I probably picked the wrong word there with 'soothed' because it comes with a coziness that isn't what I was aiming at - I was thinking more of... healing cream being put on a nettle sting.

Actually you perfectly describe the differentiation I was groping at in your second paragraph. It's still that innocence and wonder in Ys that I find myself reaching to hear more of, at the moment.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar

One of the best album announcements of all time? I think so. No fancy press release. No massive fanfare. A comic strip. A month before the album was due out. No warning, nothing.

And it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by LaddyOwen View Post
    Still the best record of the year so far. I love it from start to finish.
    While I don't love it totally from start to finish it easily IS the best record of the year so far. Too impressive not to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I wish I liked "Esme" and "Ribbon Bows" more.
    With Ribbon Bows it's all about the bridge, that's all silent and shimmery before it explodes. Yum!!
    post28!

I got this album when it came out. I haven't listened to it in quite awhile and don't feel the need to.

Songs I love: Kingfisher, Go Long

Songs I like: Easy, '81, No Provence

The rest I don't remember or just find really boring. So I love/like 5 out of 18 songs? That's not good.

Overall, I really love some of her songs (Kingfisher, Go Long, and Emily) but most of them are just boring and long. I guess some people love music without much melody that goes on forever, but I'm not one of them. I don't have a problem with her voice (it's really good on HOOM actually) and her music isn't technically bad or anything, I just don't think she's as good as the Pitchfork crowd makes her out to be.

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    Music without much melody? OKAY. I can deal with criticisms of her music (not everyone has the attention span/connects to her storytelling, I get it), but that is just wayyyy off. Her music is nothing BUT melody. Melodies on top of melodies on top of melodies.

Also - it's not just the Pitchfork crowd. She's widely considered by critics to be one of the best musicians working today, and she sells out places like the Sydney Opera House and Royal Albert Hall. I know it's a nitpicky thing to say, but this isn't some obscure musician that no one has ever heard of. Granted, she got a lot of attention through Pitchfork, but what well respected indie musician hasn't?

I think HOOM just has a LOT of LONG songs to absorb. And unlike most of Ys's long tunes, the production on some of the HOOM songs is spare/toned-down. To me as a listener, that made it harder in some ways to pay attention to the longer songs. I love Baby Birch, but I never listen to it because that whole first long section goes on for a long time without much variation in the production. If I do get in a Baby Birch mood, I usually listen to the first part for a minute or so then skip forward to the first "chorus." I'm with it from there on out. Maybe I'm just too attention-deficit, or maybe the way Ys was produced trained me to be fine with long songs as long as there are lots of sonic bells and whistles to marvel at at every turn.

I think what Kari said about the bitterness in HOOM vs. the innocence/wonder of Ys is right on target. HOOM also just feels very...I don't know, earthy? Down to earth? Rooted? Whereas Ys has the whole far-away land, mythic thing going on. The (wonderful) ways in which the two records are different made me love Joanna even more, if that's possible.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

I think the sparseness and use of space in Baby Birch makes the ultimate payoff even more satisfying, but I can see how it's a "mood only" song.

I think the sparseness and use of space in Baby Birch makes the ultimate payoff even more satisfying.
    Yeah, I definitely think that's what she was going for, in how she chose to produce/arrange it.

One thing I will say about Joanna: she never stops challenging your notions about what a song "should" be, or about what makes for successful song structure/production/etc.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

streak his blood across my beak PoorMatty's Avatar
    I don't see how songs like "Have One On Me," "In California," or "Soft as Chalk" could be described has not having much melody. "In California" in particular has one of the most extraordinarily beautiful melodies I've heard, replete as it is with otherworldly chord voicings and spine-tingling key changes.

Right. I try to avoid being a megafan like I was about Tori and get defensive when people don't like her, but the "not much melody" criticism holds zero water with me because it is patently untrue. Is her structure occasionally meandering (for lack of a much better, more accurate word)? Yes. Is her music full of conventional pop hooks and bells and whistles? No. But melody?? Melody she has.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Her melodies are expansive, often exploratory, but more focused than you might initially think. I definitely think when I first heard some of her songs, from both this album and from Ys, they sounded really loose and, like Kari says, meandering (due to length, I suppose.) But when you study them and spend more time with them, there are loads of nice repeated phrases, surprising twists and turns, and variations on the song's main melody.

'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorMatty View Post
    I don't see how songs like "Have One On Me," "In California," or "Soft as Chalk" could be described has not having much melody. "In California" in particular has one of the most extraordinarily beautiful melodies I've heard, replete as it is with otherworldly chord voicings and spine-tingling key changes.
    I get those songs stuck in my head all the time! So they must have a melody. I mean what else am I singing under my breath without realizing it when I'm walking down the street, making passersby think I am a crazy person quite possibly. "CUCKOO-OO-OO-OO! AH-AH-AH-AH! AH-AH-AH-AH!"

Plus Good Intentions Paving Company is, in its own way, pretty much a pop song. I mean this as a compliment.
    Last edited by Michael Michael; 06-20-2010 at 05:31 PM.

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    I've had one little fragment of Have One on Me (the song) stuck in my head for over a week. No idea why, as I haven't actually listened to the song in a while. Just these lyrics over and over: "as if god himself spat like a cornered rat // i really want you to do this for me, will you have one on me?" Over and over and over and over.

Music without much melody? OKAY. I can deal with criticisms of her music (not everyone has the attention span/connects to her storytelling, I get it), but that is just wayyyy off. Her music is nothing BUT melody. Melodies on top of melodies on top of melodies.
    I don't think attention span is the issue...because all of the songs I said I loved are pretty long. It's what's going on in the song (or in this case, not going on) is what I have a problem with. The biggest offender of this that I can recall is Baby Birch. I don't find the payoff worth sitting through that song at all. It's just torture. I don't care on any level what's going on in that song...and she doesn't really try to make me care. That's her right as an artist. She can make long songs that don't have much of anything going on in them sonically, but I as a listener won't sit through them.

As far as the melody comment, I was generalizing a bit. But there are some songs on HOOM (hello Baby Birch, again) that don't seem to have any kind of melody. I guess what I really wanted to say: there are no interesting melodies that make me want to listen again. I do remember when I listened to HOOM months ago that there are some very pretty melodies there, but they were stuck in these 10 minute songs and the interesting bits would usually be less than a minute long. Life's too short for that. Maybe if I knew her in real life I'd care what she went on about for 10 minutes, but I don't so I just listen to something I enjoy.

Melodies on top of melodies on top of melodies? I can't hear it. Maybe all the melodies are canceling each other out?

Also - it's not just the Pitchfork crowd. She's widely considered by critics to be one of the best musicians working today, and she sells out places like the Sydney Opera House and Royal Albert Hall. I know it's a nitpicky thing to say, but this isn't some obscure musician that no one has ever heard of. Granted, she got a lot of attention through Pitchfork, but what well respected indie musician hasn't?
    I don't put much stock into what the critics say. I can think for myself fine, thank you very much. I highly doubt any of these critics listen to Joanna or any artist on a regular base.

And I'm not saying she isn't talented. She obviously is. It's just that most of her music doesn't interest me. The payoff isn't worth it for me.
    Last edited by Scott; 06-20-2010 at 08:32 PM.

'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post

As far as the melody comment, I was generalizing a bit. But there are some songs on HOOM (hello Baby Birch, again) that don't seem to have any kind of melody.

??? I can hum/sing the melody to Baby Birch from memory right now.