Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Have One On Me Discussion

^ That only means your brain filled in the dots because you've been listening to that song more than you should have.

Anyway, I just played it (well, the first couple of seconds) to see what you were talking about, and I just can't stand it. It has the worst 60s/70s sound.

'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    Sorry to keep harping at you (har har!) but I don't think harp was that common in the 60's/70's?

HooM definitely has a 70's feel at times but that is one of the things I like about it. Some of the tracks make me think of Kate Bush's The Kick Inside.

Maybe it helps that I was 30 feet from the stage for this:

and it was pretty magical. But as for melody, hear how each phrase climbs up, jumps up a couple of notes more, falters back down, moves back and forth a few notes, then falls back to where it began? I mean it is very, very, very slow at the beginning. Each phrase takes about 0:18 or so, in that live clip. But there is a definite vocal melody making up each of those long phrases. You just need to be patient with the song, it is slow but it has a very clear, identifiable melody.

Also, as an anecdote: when the audience joins in on the handclaps aound the 6:00 mark in the clip above, I have never heard an audience so precise with their clapping. No one missed a beat, no one had crap rhythm, everyone clapped on the 4th and 6th beat of each measure as they should. It was freakish to experience in person. Everyone around me was clapping (I was too), everyone was doing it perfectly. I really think everyone in the room was 'with her' at that moment, everyone's attention was on the music and the performance.
    Last edited by Michael Michael; 06-20-2010 at 10:07 PM.

I was talking more about her vocals when I said it sounded like it came from the 60s/70s. Although the harp doesn't really change anything for me.

And I really find the "emotion" she's trying to get through with her voice nauseating. I think the word is "wailing." It's really irritating to me. She seems to wake up in that clip three and a half minutes into the performance. I skipped to the six minute mark and had to stop. The vocal delivery, the instruments, the rhythm...none of it works for me here. Whereas I find Kingfisher to be perfect from beginning to end, I find this song the total opposite of that.

The only track that I remember reminding me of Kate Bush was Easy. But I haven't listened to most of the album for over three months, so there might be more.

You don't need to necessarily justify why you don't like it. If it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you!

I know, but it's still interesting to think about it.

It certainly leaves more room for discussion, since at the end of the day, everything comes down to individual taste/preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I don't put much stock into what the critics say. I can think for myself fine, thank you very much. I highly doubt any of these critics listen to Joanna or any artist on a regular base.

And I'm not saying she isn't talented. She obviously is. It's just that most of her music doesn't interest me. The payoff isn't worth it for me.
    I'm not asking you to put stock in what critics say. You think she's overrated and boring and that's fine. However, your post implied that there is a super tiny subset of people who think she's amazing, and that is not the case. She's reached much wider than the Pitchfork crowd.

I just completely disagree with your other statements (like Baby Birch having no melody which is just...???), so we'll leave it there.

ETA: Kollins, I agree about Good Intentions being a pop song. It is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I'm not asking you to put stock in what critics say. You think she's overrated and boring and that's fine. However, your post implied that there is a super tiny subset of people who think she's amazing, and that is not the case. She's reached much wider than the Pitchfork crowd.
    The Pitchfork comment had nothing to do with how wide her fan base is, though I can't see her having a large or diverse fan base either. If you listen to a lot of indie and Pitchfork-approved music, you're not in the majority. If Joanna became a huge success, I highly doubt Pitchfork would give her glowing reviews.

Also: Good Intentions Paving Co. is as far from pop as you can get. Unless by "pop" you mean something that people would listen to in the 1800s?

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    ^ It comes the closest of all her songs to date to following a pop song structure. Verse, chorus, repeated hooks.

I am so confused. You criticize the album for being too 1960's/1970's, then you say the song on there that is perhaps the most 1960's/1970's is 1800's? Good Intentions Paving Company is very classic folk-rock, with that hooky chorus, the piano-driven bassline, the layered vocals, etc.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I love Good Intentions Paving Company. It's unmistakably Joanna Newsom but there are some fantastic '70s singer-songwriter flavours in there (Joni Mitchell, Judee Sill, Laura Nyro - only the best of course) and it's also pretty funny to me in parts (as well as being really quite strange and beautiful in others). I find a lot of humour in some of the phrasing and background vocals. It's classy, you know? A well-executed, sophisticated pop song with one and a half feet in the '70s.

Quote Originally Posted by kollins View Post
    I am so confused. You criticize the album for being too 1960's/1970's, then you say the song on there that is perhaps the most 1960's/1970's is 1800's? Good Intentions Paving Company is very classic folk-rock, with that hooky chorus, the piano-driven bassline, the layered vocals, etc.
    Well, we are talking about a triple album here. And the 60s/70s comment was only about Baby Birch. I wasn't commenting on the whole album.

Quote Originally Posted by stillorbiting View Post
    ^ It comes the closest of all her songs to date to following a pop song structure. Verse, chorus, repeated hooks.
    I would say it follows a traditional songwriting structure. That doesn't make it pop to me. I equate pop with accessibility.

Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    I love Good Intentions Paving Company. It's unmistakably Joanna Newsom but there are some fantastic '70s singer-songwriter flavours in there (Joni Mitchell, Judee Sill, Laura Nyro - only the best of course) and it's also pretty funny to me in parts (as well as being really quite strange and beautiful in others). I find a lot of humour in some of the phrasing and background vocals. It's classy, you know? A well-executed, sophisticated pop song with one and a half feet in the '70s.
    You nailed it!

"and I regret, I regret
    how I said to you 'honey, just open your heart'
    when I've got trouble even opening a honey jar
    and that right there is where we are'"

Man, those lines are funny, sad, and clever, all at once. Even the title is a clever play on words (we all know where the road paved with good intentions leads to!)
    Last edited by Michael Michael; 06-21-2010 at 12:02 AM.

I think we can all agree that Scott is just wrong.

streak his blood across my beak PoorMatty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    But there are some songs on HOOM (hello Baby Birch, again) that don't seem to have any kind of melody.
    I am sincerely not meaning to be patronizing, but maybe you are using the word "melody" when you mean something else.

"Baby Birch" has one of the most clear-cut, easy-to-latch-onto melodies on the whole album. Granted, it is not a song I listen to very much, and now that the dust has settled, I do think (and this is blasphemy for sure) it is one of the most boring songs on the album (save for the awesome parts--and it has its share of those). But the melody is pretty obvious--so strong and classic-sounding, in fact, that it brings to mind many famous, instantly recognizable hymns, "Amazing Grace" in particular.

As for "Good Intentions Paving Company," one of the funkiest, catchiest, rockingest songs on the record sounding like something from the 1800's, I just have to wonder if we're even listening to the same song.