Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Paula Cole

Thumbs up Paula Cole

Paula has a new album - Ithaca - out this year. All signs are pointing to a return-to-form, of sorts:

http://www.pridesource.com/article.html?article=41867

How personal is the album for you?

It's really an important album for me. These songs - the vast majority of them anyway - were written while I was going through the divorce, and I was just so lucky to have music to turn to, some place to help me heal. These songs just demanded to be written.

You go through periods of drought as a writer, and you don't know when the mystery will hit, and that mystery - that beautiful muse - was very alive for me in this period.

So they were written over a long period of time then?

Well, I was stuck in divorce court for two years, so they were certainly written then - and also, after. I made "Courage" while I was coming off a long hiatus, a long time away from the music business. And that was necessary. But I needed help with "Courage." I needed co-writers, because I was this kind of broken bird.

With "Ithaca" I wanted to get back to my process that defined the work of the '90s for me, where I wrote my songs 100 percent with a highly personal process. I wanted to be involved in production again, because I'm a music geek (laughs).

Recent performances show she's lost none of her vocal fire; there's noone I want to see live more than PC.

Upcoming Tour Dates:
    JUL 15, 2010 Steamboat Springs, CO Strings Music Festival Fundraiser
    JUL 16, 2010 Steamboat Springs, CO Strings Music Festival
    JUL 17, 2010 Denver, CO The Soiled Dove
    JUL 22, 2010 Bend, OR Drake Park Munch & Music FREE CONCERT!
    JUL 24, 2010 Moses Lake, WA McCosh Park FREE CONCERT!
    AUG 06, 2010 Rockport, MA Shalin Liu Performance Center SOLD OUT!
    AUG 07, 2010 Rockport, MA Shalin Liu Performance Center SOLD OUT!
    AUG 08, 2010 Ogunquit, ME Jonathan's Restaurant
    AUG 14, 2010 Cleveland Heights, OH Cain Park
    SEPT 21, 2010 New York, NY City Winery - ALBUM RELEASE SHOW!
    SEPT 24, 2010 Boston, MA Berklee Performance Center - ALBUM RELEASE SHOW!
    OCT 2, 2010 Philadelphia, PA World Cafe Live
    OCT 3, 2010 Alexandria, VA The Birchmere
    OCT 4, 2010 Annapolis, Maryland Ram’s Head On Stage
    NOV 20, 2010 Arlington Heights, IL Metropolis Performing Arts Center
    DEC 1, 2010 West Palm Beach, FL Kravis Center

rare Amen bside, and one of the most inhumanly powerful & exquisite vocals ever tracked to tape

SO excited for the new album. Definitely think it sounds like we'll get a passionate, This Fire-esque record.

This is probably my most anticipated album right now!!!
    post28!

I'm a big Paula Cole fan....I really hate that she's not touring around me

I was just checking out some live clips, and saw this -

"American Idol's Katharine McPhee has released her new album, Unbroken, and it was influenced by one of her idols, Paula Cole."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unbroke...cPhee_album%29
    Track 12 - "Unbroken" (Paula Cole, McPhee) – 4:17

and this:

Ithaca

After the final guitar overdub, I have now just submitted "Ithaca" to my record label, Decca. This is a story of dark and light; of turmoil and finding redemption in the heart-opening act of loving again. "...Yes, I will love again..." or so it goes on this very beloved work. I am proud - in love - with this novel. It is from my marrow, with songs fully written by me, with my hand in production. I had not been in this creative place for over 10 years so it was tremendous to get my groove back, my back up, my up-yours, my yours-truly with her freak on. Can't wait to unveil it for you. We're looking forward to doing lots of shows over the next several months and brainstorming an album release in this era of digital. Hope to see you on the road live as we play a few new songs and story-tell the winding journey that brings us together for our 'family reunions'. I cannot wait for you to hold this new album in your hands and feel the blood-music pounding in your heart.

This title will be released on September 21, 2010.

SO. Fucking. EXCITED. I just want to hear one complete studio song!

I really love the cover!

HQ

Yay!
    And yeah, great cover
    post28!

This Fire was the first CD I ever owned, but I lost touch with Paula after Amen. I sincerely hope that she has something really special up her sleeve with this album.

There's something weird about her right arm in the picture.
    Or probably there's nothing wrong about it and it's just that I'm way too used to watch photoshopped pics.

Anyway. PLEASE, SOMEBODY LEAK THE DAMN ALBUM!
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Dunno the source, but here's the track list according to Wikipedia. P.R.E.N.U.P. and Sex = lol but definitely looking forward to the album. Anyone know if this is the real track list?

"The Hard Way" (Cole)
    "P.R.E.N.U.P." (Cole)
    "Music in Me" (Cole)
    "Elegy" (Cole)
    "Come on Inside"* (Cole)
    "Waiting on a Miracle" (Cole)
    "Violet Eyes" (Cole)
    "Somethin' I’ve Gotta Say" (Barry, Cole)
    "Sex" (Cole)
    "2 Lifetimes" (Cole)

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    Eh...not big on that tracklist. "Waiting on a Miracle" and "Somethin' I've Gotta Say" are gag-worthy titles, and "Sex", "2 Lifetimes" and "P.R.E.N.U.P."? Meh.

Suppose it doesn't matter as long as the music's good, though.

Looks like Sarah McLachlan song titles lol

I love the album cover except that her right arm and hand looks like it is part of a man's.

http://musicremedy.com/p/paula-cole/...haca-9179.html

Paula Cole to release Ithaca

By editor: Jermy Leeuwis on August 07, 2010.

Paula Cole, one of the preeminent female singer/songwriters of our generation, journeys to ITHACA on her deeply personal new album to be released on Decca Records September 21st. On her fifth album ITHACA, Cole takes listeners on an intensely emotional, yet uplifting journey through divorce (“The Hard Way,” “P.R.E.N.U.P”) and the struggle to recover one’s identity (“Elegy,” “Waiting on a Miracle”) before allowing herself to revel in the healing, redemptive power of new love (“Sex,” “Come on Inside”). Along the way, she acknowledges being torn between work and her daughter (“Somethin’ I’ve Gotta Say”), and ultimately celebrates having music to get her through it all (“Music In Me”).

“My albums are like Polaroid snapshots of my life,” says Cole, whose last album, Courage, was released in 2007. “The writing is the hard part because my process is highly personal and autobiographical. This new album reflects me processing the things in life we all face on a daily basis.”

ITHACA, a touching tour-de-force of emotions, showcases Cole’s sharp and poignant songwriting, along with her moving voice - which The New York Times referred to as, “rich and tremulous” The album represents the difficult, yet healing journey we all go through to try to find the beautiful things in life. Cole wrote every song on the album and co-produced it with Kevin Killen (Peter Gabriel, Elvis Costello, U2) and Decca Records chairman, Chris Roberts. Referred to as, “a singer of substance and range” by The Los Angeles Times, Cole’s searching lyrics played out against a backdrop of acoustic and electric instruments is musically reminiscent of its pop-rock genre defining predecessors.

“The overall theme of ITHACA is making peace with life,” Cole says. “I hope to show people through my music that these lessons in life can truly be a healing process.”

Paula Cole biography

On her fifth album Ithaca, singer and songwriter Paula Cole takes listeners on an intensely emotional, yet uplifting journey through divorce (“The Hard Way,” “P.R.E.N.U.P”) and the struggle to recover one’s identity (“Elegy,” “Waiting on a Miracle”) before allowing herself to revel in the healing, redemptive power of new love ("Violet Eyes,” “Come On Inside,” "Sex", "2 Lifetimes"). Along the way, she acknowledges being torn between work and her child (“Somethin’ I’ve Gotta Say”), and ultimately celebrates having music to get her through it all (“Music In Me”).

“My albums are Polaroid snapshots of my life,” says Cole, whose last album, Courage, was released in 2007. “The writing is the hard part because my process is highly personal and autobiographical. One of my biggest musical heroes is John Lennon because he was so brutally honest. I love the songs he wrote after he left The Beatles. They are so outrageous in their courage. This new album is just me processing things.”

Ithaca is a welcome return by one of pop’s most compelling vocalists, who has enthralled audiences with her soaring, agile soprano. Born the daughter of musicians, Cole studied jazz singing and improvisation at Boston’s Berklee College of Music before attracting rapt attention as a featured vocalist on Peter Gabriel’s 1993-1994 Secret World Live tour. Cole released her debut album, Harbinger, in 1994, followed by 1996’s self-produced This Fire, which spawned the two smash hits “Where Have All The Cowboys Gone?” and “I Don’t Want to Wait.” In 1997, Cole was nominated for seven Grammy Awards, including “Producer of the Year” and “Album of the Year,” and took home the award for “Best New Artist.” In 1999, Cole released her third album, Amen, then decided to take some time off following the birth of her daughter Sky in 2001.

“I needed to get off the giant hamster wheel,” Cole says of her music career. “I wanted to find some other meaning to my life and it seemed impossible to combine motherhood with the music business. It was like being at a spiritual stop sign in the road. That’s what inspired ‘Somethin’ I’ve Gotta Say,’ one of the older songs on the album. I thought I was done with the music career after having Sky.”

Several years later, Cole was lured back to record-making by a friend, Blood, Sweat & Tears’ drummer Bobby Colomby, who produced her intimate, jazz-influenced collection Courage, which she released in 2007 while going through a difficult divorce. After the split was finalized in 2008, Cole moved back to her hometown of Rockport, Massachusetts — the inspiration behind her new album’s title.

“The overall theme of Ithaca is the return to home and making peace with it,” Cole says. “It’s about accepting that I actually want to be with a man who is a lot like my father and that I am a lot like my mother — which I’ve written about in ‘Music In Me.’ I rebelled against these classical complexes and got really beat up in the world. So I’ve come to a quiet place of acceptance in my family and my hometown. That’s why I called the album ‘Ithaca,’ which is the island Odysseus came home to in The Odyssey after 10 years of fighting and 10 years of trying to get back home. Rockport is my Ithaca, and coming home has been an Odyssean journey: enduring war and finding beautiful things in home. That’s the tone of the album, that there is both darkness and light to this story. My journey has healed me, and in that healing process I’ve been able to work again.”

Ithaca is the sound of Cole taking back the reigns on her life. She wrote every song and produced it with Decca Records chairman Chris Roberts and engineer Kevin Killen (who produced Harbinger). Her searching lyrics play out against a backdrop of acoustic and electric instruments, including guitars played by Ben Butler, Kevin Barry, and Marc Ribot (who also plays 'back-porch' banjo on the languid “P.R.E.N.U.P”); bass by Jon Ossman and Tony Levin (whom Cole knows from her Peter Gabriel days); piano, Wurlitzer, and clarinet played by Cole; and anchored by Ben Wittman’s rock-solid drumming.
    With its slashes of electric guitar and kick-ass balladry, Ithaca is musically reminiscent of its pop-rock predecessors This Fire and Amen.

“Courage was very gentle and eclectic,” Cole says, “but I have real affection for perfect little pop gems. And I needed the sex, wail, and anger of electric guitar on certain songs, so this album is definitely more rock, pop, and soul-influenced. It combines the styles of This Fire and Amen, but is presented from a wiser woman’s perspective.”

And then there’s That Voice, a world-class instrument that led one critic to rhapsodize recently about the ability of Cole’s voice to “leap octaves in a single breath, at once vulnerable and brimming over with undeniable strength.” Cole has never sounded better than she does on Ithaca — passionate and powerful and fully of service to her muse.

“I really wanted Ithaca to be an uplifting record,” Cole says. “It was a choice to return to the music business. That alone is big for me because my heart has been heavy. So for me to be here means I have love and enough self-confidence to do it and that’s all positive. Even though I needed to get some anger out on some songs, ultimately, I’m grateful because music is very healing for me. I don’t possess many other skills,” Cole says with a laugh, “so I need this!”