Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Paula Cole

Man, this is building me up a little too much; I hope this one doesn't disappoint. And can we get a damn first song already haha.

http://news.bostonherald.com/enterta...osition=recent

ROCKPORT -- Grammy-award winning singer-songwriter Paula Cole performed in her hometown this weekend, the first time she has performed here since her 1986 graduation ceremony as class president from Rockport High School.

Back then, she wowed the crowd then with her rendition of Jimmy Cliff’s "Many Rivers to Cross."

Cole left the small seaside town of 7,000 on her journey as a teenager, and returned as an accomplished singer songwriter with fans around the globe.

One fan traveled from the Netherlands to see both Friday and Saturday’s shows in Rockport as well as a show in Ogunquit, Maine, last night.

"Unfortunately Paula doesn’t tour in Europe," said Robbert Vansprang. "But this is one of the best venues I have seen her in."

He wasn’t the only one who traveled to see the Decca-recording artist. Tina Kougher of Milton, N.H., has seen Cole perform more than 50 times.

"This is the best venue I have seen her in. The sound is amazing and I have seen her in places from coast to coast," said Kougher.

Both fans were referring to $19 million Shalin Liu Performance Center, which opened in June for the chamber music festival, but was hosting its first pop show on Friday night.

When she first came onto the stage, the audience gave her a rousing applause, a reception she thanked them for several times during the show with deep appreciation. While Cole dazzled the audience, often the show seemed more like a homecoming party.

"I’m grateful for my hometown. Thank you for your support, for caring and for remembering," she told a hushed audience. "We’re going to have a family reunion. It’s going to be like ’It’s Your Life Paula Cole Night."

Standing before the panorama of the sun setting over the Atlantic Ocean, she told the crowd she had learned to swim right there at Front Beach as a child.

"How lucky we are to be here tonight. I think this hall will transform Rockport," she said.

The crowd was filled with former teachers, classmates, neighbors and friends as well as just pure fans. The audience contained listeners from every age, ranging from elementary school children to grandparents. Probably half the audience had a Paula Cole story of some kind.

George Ramsden, a retired RHS guidance counselor and Rockport educator of more than 40 years, was wearing the Class of 1986 T-shirt on which each student had signed their name.

"I had such flashbacks when she was at Rockport High. She was so talented back then and took part in so many of our musicals and she was so comfortable singing," he said. "It was kind of surreal. I was thrilled to be there to hear her singing again in her town 24 years and two months later. I’m sitting there watching this world-class singer sing in a world-class venue -- I thought what a quantum leap."

Ramsden, who remembered her singing in "South Pacific" her senior year, recalled how she was a popular student, but she had no "pomp and circumstance about it" and she never sought any recognition.

"It’s so nice to see that she’s comfortable being back," said Ramsden.

Cole talked about the songs, telling the audience that the writing process is about documenting the unconscious.

She began the concert with "Comin’ Down" from her 2007 CD, "Courage."

Several times the audience response prompted her to cross her hands over her heart in thanks for the resounding applause.

Her vocals resonated with texture and character, as if she were an instrument herself, a quality which must have helped earn her the 1997 Grammy Award for best new artist. Some tunes she performed on the Steinway grand piano, while during others she sang on stage, some quietly and some while dancing around.

"Music heals me," she told the crowd.

Cole, 42, has traveled the road of divorce, walked away from the music industry, relished in the joy of motherhood, and like most working mothers has found a balance; she found a way to return to the music, which never ceased pulsating through her spirit.

Cole sang both crowd favorites such as "I Believe in Love" as well as music from her soon to be released "Ithaca" CD, including a song titled "Music in Me."

She dedicated "Happy Home" to her mother with a tender introduction to the song that she played on the piano.

She told the audience how she is enjoying a "new-found adult friendship" with her parents after rebelling and going out in the world.

"And through conflict we have gotten closer," she said. "My return to Rockport is about accepting my parent’s love back into my life."

Her parents, Stephanie and Jim Cole, babysat their 8-year-old granddaughter Sky on Friday, but all three attended the Saturday night show.

"She sat quietly, and she was mesmerized. It went late and she hung in there," said Stephanie Cole about her granddaughter.

Sky was first in line after Saturday’s show to hug her mother as the fans lined up to greet the artist. Cole signed autographs and CDs after both shows.

"It means a lot for her to connect with people," said Stephanie Cole. "They had a reception for her before the show with hors d’oeuvres. For such a little town, this (event) was very big for all of us. It’s hard not to get blown away and I try to control myself but inside -- it’s hard to describe."

Cole performed with drummer Ben Wittman, who she met at the age of 19 when she was a student at Berklee College of Music and he a student at New England Conservatory. On guitar was Ben Butler, an Australian, who she knew by way of Berklee College and who is now a Brooklyn resident.

In introducing her song, "Hush, Hush, Hush," she said she wrote it in tribute to a man named Stephen, who she met while living the San Francisco area.

"When he died of AIDS, I didn’t know what to do with the pain," Cole said, so she wrote a song. It’s also the only one of her songs to be covered by other artists -- Herbie Hancock and Annie Lennox.

"They are both heroes to me and it was a sign to keep on going," she said.

When she introduced "Me," her song about trying to deal with teenage angst, she told the audience that therapists have told her that this song is helpful to their teenage clients.

For her encore, she performed her two big hits, "I Don’t Want to Wait," which she wrote for her grandfather, but gained fame as the theme to the TV show, "Dawson’s Cheek, and "Where Have All the Cowboys Gone?" She finished with a fun version of Dolly Parton’s "Jolene."

When Gloucester fisherman and writer Peter Prybot left the show, he was impressed with both the musician and the music hall.

"It felt like we were on a cruise ship looking out the window and her voice was as entrancing as the waves on the sea," he said.

Kaytee Bolcome, who grew up in Rockport, too said she was amazed by both the musician and the venue.

"It was such a great time and she seems so authentic to me. It’s hard to find an artist that isn’t so impacted by the way society wants you to be," said Bolcome, whose cell phone ringtone is Cole’s song "Safe in Your Arms."

She said the Shalin Liu hall was part of the experience to look out at the reflection of the water.

"I had seen her before at a charity event for the Greater Boston Food Bank a few years ago, and she was even better this time," said Bolcome. "I could really sense her love for Rockport."

http://blog.timesunion.com/reviews/p...al-61910/2123/

She grabbed stardom by the horns in the mid-’90s. She won a Grammy Award as Best New Artist. Her song “I Don’t Want to Wait” was picked up as the theme song for the popular teen TV show, “Dawson’s Creek.” And “Where Have All the Cowboys Gone?” was a bona fide smash hit single. But 1999’s “Amen” album – the follow-up to her breakthrough 1996 album “This Fire” – failed to generate much airplay or sales. And since then, Cole has released only one other album – 2007’s jazz and bossa nova-flecked “Courage,” which clearly wasn’t aimed at the pop charts.

As she explained on Saturday, “I basically took an eight-year hiatus from my pop career.” But it was clear to everyone within earshot on Saturday that Paula Cole was positively thrilled to be back in front of an audience. As she sang in the opening, “Comin’ Down,” “Lord, make me an instrument to sing away the pain.”

Cole’s voice is indeed a magnificent instrument – a powerful, swooping voice that leaps octaves in a single breath, at once vulnerable and brimming over with undeniable strength. Drawing on such obvious influences as Joni Mitchell and Annie Lennox, Cole also taps into the old-school soul of Laura Nyro and wraps it all in her own unique free-spirited passion.

Dressed in snug, form-fitting black with a white flower tucked into her hair behind one ear, Cole wailed through a number of selections from her 1994 debut album, including “Happy Home” (with Cole impressing on the grand piano), “Watch the Woman’s Hands” (spiked with polyrhythmic handclapping) and the heart-stirring ballad “Dear Gertrude.”

wow. her upper register is freaky insane. love the licks.

new songs!

"Unfortunately Paula doesn’t tour in Europe,"
    post28!

Studio version of Music In Me:

http://www.directcurrentmusic.com/mu...sic-in-me.html

She wasn't lying...a TRUE return to form. Could've come straight off of This Fire. She sounds amazing, and I love the lyrics! I've missed that voice so much.

Verrrrry nice. I actually feel more Harbinger than This Fire, which is also fine with me. But definitely a return to form in one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Studio version of Music In Me:

http://www.directcurrentmusic.com/mu...sic-in-me.html

She wasn't lying...a TRUE return to form. Could've come straight off of This Fire. She sounds amazing, and I love the lyrics! I've missed that voice so much.
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by toriMODE View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing!
    Seconded!! Thanks Jake! Just shared this with my mates on Facebook. All great feedback so far - hope we get a UK date, would really LOVE to see her!!!

Oh wow, that is simply gorgeous!!!
    post28!

Cheers Jake!

I hope this level is maintained across the the Ithaca LP.
    I thought '14' was incredible, but the rest of Courage didn't really keep the same momentum.

Courage is gorgeous, but it can be difficult to listen to, knowing the kind of highs that voice has scraped up against previously.*

*aka: 'Tori Amos - 2003 - 2009'

It is I, you son of a bitch. blissgurl's Avatar
    Thank you Jake - this is wonderful. I can't wait for the full album now!

Wow, great song. I want ITHACA NOW!!!

And I just read that there's a new album of Dawn Kinnard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by waitressboy; 08-14-2010 at 03:34 AM.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

aging hipster trash The Seaward's Avatar
    GREAT song! like the rest of you guys, i'm really looking forward to Ithaca! i think it's gonna be quality stuff.
    I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

Wonderful wonderful song. But yeah, definitely more Harbinger than This Fire.

grammy flashback!

Thanks for posting those. I had never seen her acceptance speech. She thanked Kate Bush