Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Paula Cole

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    OMG, that set!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, Strong Beautiful Woman is the only clunker for me, but I know she likes that song herself so that's fine, and my boyfriend seemed to like it so I made my peace. The rest of the set was a dream. I wanted boyfriend (who didn't join for the This Fire shows) to hear Tiger or Mississippi, but I didn't miss them with the set we did get. I'm glad he got to hear her rock out since his first show was very quiet/subdued on the "7" tour.

I will say, I never heard her NOT end with Jolene, so that was kind of a surprise. Every setlist I've seen on paper since 1996 had that as the closer. She did mention before Our Revenge that the set was intentionally political, and she and the band all came out in pink hats from the women's march for the encore. Maybe Jolene didn't fit the tone she was going for The "love one another" ending of God Is Watching into the Lennon medley was clearly pretty intentional.

Weird show tonight at City Winery; her guitarist dropped out two days ago after a trip to the ER for asthma, and her dad is in the ER/hospital now she said, so the three-show run got close to being canceled. She ended up coming out with just one bandmate on upright bass (except for an additional guest on guitar/vocals for Carmen and Cowboys). The songs definitely sounded a little thin without any guitar but she still managed to pull it out for the most part with that incredible voice of hers. Set started out favoring Ballads (which I thought would be snoozy but I liked all the songs she picked), had a nice variety in the middle (including playing a little guitar herself on Billy Joe... an instrument I've never seen her touch before), and then ran through all the This Fire ballads/singles (which was honestly the weakest part given the lack of a full band).

During Feelin' Love it got weirder when two dudes got in a fight (one started walking to get security and the other guy ran after him and pushed him to the ground from behind - the audience just clapped at the stage to keep Paula going amidst the turmoil). She cracked a bit of a smile during Me when the red and blue lights from the cop car started lighting up the stage and the shover got taken outside. Not gonna lie - dying to know wtf there is to fight about at a Paula Cole concert.

Oh, and the highlight was a cover of Nothing Compares To U which I hadn't seen her do live before; lovely end to a pretty odd show.

ETA: she did mention that she's been feeling lately like the project she's working on for 2019 needs to be what she called "Amen, Part 2"... which could be great or awful (I'm a little terrified after that Seven Deadly Sins song she released, which sounds semi-Amen'y but not in a good way).

Setlist:

Ode To Billy Joe
    God Bless The Child
    I Wish (I Knew How It Feels To Be Free)
    Elegy
    Mississippi
    Throwing Stones
    Amen
    Billy Joe
    We Don't Know (Where We Are Going)
    Carmen
    Where Have All The Cowboys Gone?
    Feelin Love
    Me

I Don't Want To Wait
    Nothing Compares To U
    Last edited by Nick; 07-14-2018 at 05:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

During Feelin' Love it got weirder when two dudes got in a fight (one started walking to get security and the other guy ran after him and pushed him to the ground from behind - the audience just clapped at the stage to keep Paula going amidst the turmoil). She cracked a bit of a smile during Me when the red and blue lights from the cop car started lighting up the stage and the shover got taken outside. Not gonna lie - dying to know wtf there is to fight about at a Paula Cole concert.
    Me too!

Is anyone else on the mailing list? She is wrapping up ballads shows and preparing for 2019 and a number of Harbinger and Amen anniversary shows!!! Color me intrigued by both. The versions she did of God Is Watching and Our Revenge in Jersey City have me salivating for more deep cuts from those two albums. She also references the new album which should be out next year.

I'll be looking at my social media sites for requests, as I'll be performing songs from my Ballads album and of course, favorites from the ever-growing catalog of PC songs. Since next year (2019) will be more focused on anniversary tours of my Harbinger and Amen albums, and celebrating a new release of originals (the first since 2015) this will be the some of our last opportunities to hear me singing the gorgeous Ballads classics along with diverse material across my catalog.
    Last edited by Nick; 10-11-2018 at 10:11 PM.