Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Joanna on tour!

streak his blood across my beak PoorMatty's Avatar
    Saw her last night in Atlanta and the set list was a dream. I mean a real Joanna dream set list would be like four hours long, so you can never get everything you want, but it was still a lot of my favorites. I may have a song or two out of order but

Bridges and Balloons
    Anecdotes
    Soft As Chalk
    Divers
    Emily
    Waltz of the 101st Lightborne
    Have One On Me
    Peach Plum Pear
    Cosmia
    Sapononikan
    Leaving the City
    Time As a Symptom
    Good Intentions Paving Co.

Albatross (Judy Collins cover)
    Baby Birch

These were the best arrangements of Baby Birch and Peach Plum Pear I've ever heard. I've seen Joanna live four times and gotten Emily every time and that is the total opposite of a complaint. It gets better every time. The Judy Collins cover was beautiful and performed solo (would've been nice to get Sadie in that slot instead, but this was thoroughly enjoyable). All the arrangements are so intense and dynamic, so much more than the album versions are already. I really felt on the edge of my seat through so many of the songs, even knowing them all by heart.

Alela Diane was the opening act. I've known of her for years without actually knowing her music well. An absolutely gorgeous voice, but I found her songs and performance style draining and dull, right down to the stage banter (if you can even call it that). I was surprised I didn't like her more.

I found Alela Diane boring, too. SOOO boring.

What a beautiful set!

pummelled gall-nuts afloat in urine
    This vid of Albatross surfaced :O

whatta song

Dumb question time: How does Joanna preserve her fingers after playing the harp night after night?

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    I'm guessing lots of moisturizer.

No but seriously she's probably got major calluses just like probably any bass player out there that doesn't use a pick.

I remember reading somewhere that she uses superglue when she splits her finger on the strings.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    Ok, that was beyond my wildest expectations. She is a force of nature on stage, and the songs came alive for me much more than I thought possible.

This was the closest she has gotten to a "home town show", as we were just down the hill from Nevada City. Her family and friends were there, as well as her harp teacher and first music teacher. She said "lotta important special people here, is all I'm sayin'." And how they were making her nervous. hehe It was nice for her to have her brother and sister with her, as well as two other BRILLIANT string players, Ryan Franesconi, and NEAL MORGAN (who only came out for the last couple songs and played sticks while he sang.) Robin Pecknold came out for the last songs as well. He came out with just Joanna for the first encore and sang On a Good Day as a duet. Stunning.

There was a lot more punch to the live arrangements, and Joanna sang with brilliant urgency.

The set: (much like most of the tour)

Bridges and Balloons
    Anecdotes
    Divers
    Monkey & Bear (gained a new appreciation for this one. That ending!)
    In California
    Sapokanikan
    Leaving the City
    Have One on Me
    Peach, Plum, Pear
    Cosmia (akdlsjfhsakdfjhdf)
    Time, As a Symptom
    Good Intentions Paving Company

On a Good Day (with Robin)
    Baby Birch (sobbing mess)
    Gahhhhh. I'm dying to hear On a Good Day with Robin. Damn.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down