Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Joanna on tour!

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    I just got my ticket for Carnegie Hall! Prime parquet, row P. Would you believe I've never been to Carnegie Hall in my life? What a great way to finally get to go.
    Last edited by stillorbiting; 08-09-2010 at 04:16 PM.

I got my ticket as well! Row M, parquet. My friend Josh and I are going and neither of us has ever been to NYC so I can't wait

I need to get on buying my ticket. Excited for this!

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    More tour dates announced today!

09-14 Dublin, Ireland - Grand Canal Theatre *
    09-16 Bristol, England - Colston Hall *
    09-17 Birmingham, England - Symphony Hall *
    09-18 Manchester, England - Palace Theatre *
    09-20 Glasgow, Scotland - Glasgow Royal Concert Hall *
    09-21 Gateshead, England - The Sage *
    09-23 Lille, France - Aronef
    09-24 Zrich, Switzerland - Volkhaus Zrich
    09-25 Feyzin, France - Epicercie Moderne
    09-27 Milan, Italy - Teatrro Dal Verme
    09-28 Rome, Italy - Auditorium Parco della Musica
    09-30 Tel Aviv, Israel - Tel Aviv Opera House
    11-06 Tucson, AZ - Rialto Theatre
    11-07 Phoenix, AZ - Orpheum Theatre
    11-10 Dallas, TX - Granada Theater
    11-11 Austin, TX - The Paramount Theatre
    11-12 Stafford, TX - Stafford Centre
    11-13 New Orleans, LA - Tipitina's
    11-15 Tallahassee, FL - The Moon
    11-18 Athens, GA - 40 Watt Club
    11-19 Asheville, NC - Orange Peel
    11-20 Richmond, VA - The National
    11-21 Baltimore, MD - Ram's Head Live
    11-23 New York, NY - Carnegie Hall

I'm a creep I'm a weirdo

So worth it!! Whee! I'm glad she headed south and west.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Ooh Roy Harper is supporting the UK ones. I am getting rather excited about seeing her next month.

You mean she's NOT boycotting Israel and Arizona?

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    More tour dates announced today!

11-13 New Orleans, LA - Tipitina's
    I'm so excited!!! It seems no one ever drops by New Orleans anymore. I thought I wouldn't get to see her on this tour.

Oh god, a Florida date! In the city where my friend is in college!

There's now a November 16 date for Ybor City, FL on Ticketmaster. It's way down near Tampa apparently. I think I'll just stick with the Tallahassee show, even though it's not for sale on TM or showing up on the venue's website yet.

11-19 Asheville, NC - Orange Peel
    omgomg. I forsee Dave taking the Friday after my birthday off. yessireeee. *nods lots*

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    So, I did get to see Joanna last night in the Grand Canal Theatre in Dublin Completely last minute, and my seat was in the middle of the third row of the upper circle, but the wonderful thing about that (new) venue, is that every seat has a really clear view, and we were positioned perfectly to see Joanna when playing harp or piano! Never a blocked view! The sound in that venue is amazing - I saw Rufus in it earlier this year, and was blown away by how much it made you feel like you were on stage beside him. Same with Joanna, you could hear everything.

My only complaints:
    it was very obviously the first show of the tour, and they'd all been on holidays and not practising, so there were a few fuckups - some more noticeable than others.
    Neal - I love your drumming, but goddamn does it have to be so loud in the mix? At times it was completely overwhelming the other parts on stage, and not in a good way

But! Good stuff:
    Mr Trombone Man is a fox. The gays I went with all fell in lust, and his trombone solo at the end of Good Intentions Paving Company was one of the highlights of the night.
    Monkey & Bear, Inflammatory Writ (kari!) and Have One On Me were all also equally as awesome as Good Intentions...

Quite a random setlist though, she opened with "Jackrabbits" before introducing the band, and we also got "Autumn" and "Kingfisher", which surprised me. There was no '81 or Baby Birch, and only two songs from MEM (Inflammatory Writ, and the awesome band version of Peach Plum Pear as the sole encore song).

But I did really enjoy it! Joanna told a story about the last Dublin show (which I was at) - she went for a meal the following day, and a table came and sat behind her and started talking about the show, not knowing Joanna was sitting behind them, only they were completely slating it, so Joanna and her dinner partner snuck out of the restaurant. She was wondering if any of those people were there tonight, and if so, she'd try and do a better gig

She was on good form. Random extended banter as she retuned the rented harp, and glued her fingers having lost the callouses from taking a holiday before the tour instead of lots of rehearsals. But it meant there was a freshness on stage between the band, which was nice to feel from the audience.

She opened with "Jackrabbits" when I saw her in NY! I am glad you got to see her, even if she was fucking up.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    She opened with "Jackrabbits" when I saw her in NY! I am glad you got to see her, even if she was fucking up.
    Have you heard the band version of "Inflammatory Writ" (aka, Song For Kari ) ?

And actually, she didn't fuck up as much as the string players did. And there was a moment in Monkey and Bear where herself and Neal were both singing the same line, and someone messed up words, but I think it was Neal, and then they got back in sync.