Page 176 of 177 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177 LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,640 of 2641

Thread: 'The Light Princess' and its Cast Recording

I love Digby's voice, it's perfect for his character. It´s the sweet and manly voice that every prince has.
    Last edited by datura1452; 12-06-2015 at 03:33 PM.

Denn alles Fleisch, es ist wie Gras Malike-pakile's Avatar

"Tori and Sam discuss how the issues Althea faces in The Light Princess, relate to the teenagers of today."

I'm generally not interested in TLP at all, and I just wanna comment that SHE LOOKS SO PRETTY
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    So some thoughts now that I have spent some time!

1. The story is still flimsy, but I DO think its a strong examination of grief and I sort of wished it had been more about that vs. lovey dovey princess BS
    2. This is a super fucking impressive compositional achievement. I mean, no wonder Tori couldn't put out good music while she was working on this. You only get so much bandwidth. The score is stunning.
    3. The problem with the score is that, like much of Tori's music, it needs a few spins before the melodies and stuff really burrow their way into your brain. Considering most ppl saw it once, it probably felt flatter than it actually is. The music is really complicated.
    4. Amphiviaba is EVERYTHING. I could listen to it 5 times a day.
    5. Rosalie Craig >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nick Hendrix
    I agree completely with all these points. I think the casting of Nick Hendrix was strange. From what I know of them, Craig has way more experience in musical theatre than Hendrix, who I've seen in lots of plays but not in any other musicals, so casting them side-by-side seemed a tad unfair.

I agree that Nick Hendrix isn't as strong a singer as Rosalie Craig, but but I thought he was great in the show. He managed to both be charming and vulnerable. It's really Althea's show but Nick did well with the part.

Will the Musical be again in the theatre in London? Will it go to New York?

I´ve read that it was successful, so I don´t know why a new season it´s not in the agenda. I was not interested at all at first, but I bought the cast recording after listening to Amphibiava and I love it so much that I would go to see it to london.
    Last edited by datura1452; 12-14-2015 at 07:27 PM.

Bloop Bloop! Lord Rask of Trevdale's Avatar
    I have a feeling it could have a life in regional theatre.

I don't see it having any large professional mountings in the future, I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by datura1452 View Post
    Will the Musical be again in the theatre in London? Will it go to New York?

I´ve read that it was successful, so I don´t know why a new season it´s not in the agenda. I was not interested at all at first, but I bought the cast recording after listening to Amphibiava and I love it so much that I would go to see it to london.
    The National Theater mounts new shows every season. It doesn't really do extended runs (as in several seasons or even years in a row) like commercial theaters do. TLP would probably have to be picked up by another theater to be mounted again. I'm sure there's been ideas, but something like that takes time and a lot of energy from everyone involved.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    Also, it's worth noting that the Artistic Director at the NT has changed since TLP was on. The new AD may not be at all interested in pushing the show. They've just closed War Horse on the West End, so it doesn't look likely they're going down that road, besides the massive time gap since the show was on.

I just wanted to mention I think the OCR is superb and I'm thoroughly enjoying it! It's chocka-blocka full of beautiful melodies and great and witty lyrics! To me it sounds more like an opera than a musical, with all the repeats of melody lines in especially the second act and certain melodic turns belonging with different characters or situations. When I saw the musical I enjoyed the 4 songs I already knew the most, so in that respect I would have loved to have had this before I went. At the time I was so overwhelmed with everything the music sort of washed over me. I think it's wonderful they recorded the whole story, including the spoken parts. But there was so little of those, it would have been nice if they included them in the lyrics booklet as well. Other minor gripe: I think the CDs are hard to get in and out of the cover, mine already has a tear in it. And I wish to god they had filmed the performances and released them as a DVD, because the visuals were so spectacular as well!
    you have touched my life
    so that now cathedrals of sound are singing

After the superb score for the musical, I imagine Tori composing also scores for movies. She´s talked about a Ballet.
    She still has so much to say musically and I love it.

She´s definitely a musician in a million.
    Last edited by datura1452; 12-28-2015 at 09:30 AM.

I finally got it for Xmas & have been listening in the car a lot.

I'm not a huge fan of the format
    But it's tori, and so much of it gets stuck in my head so I have to listen

I can't believe I like it as much as I do

Of course, Love the tori versions as they remind me I'd good old bsides just T & B.
    Love highness. Don't love the piano lounge-sh sound of Darkest Hour
    Crash in the Universe is so much fun...

Tears seems like a classic melodramatic musical ballad to me but almost sounds like it's trying too hard a little
    It gets stuck in my head a lot

Coronation<Winters Carol
    Not sure if I like WC better bc I heard it that was first or I just genuinely prefer it
    But it seems like a weak afterthought and shoehorned in

In fact that the biggest issue
    It's so overstuffed and clunky story wise

I love how the songs weave in and out of each other throughout & how complex musically parts of it seems
    I can hear different nuances with different listens!

I hate how Gravity is on the cd twice!? wtf & esp where it is on the soundtrack
    Everytime my ears want to cry bc "I just heard it" & it's not good enough to hear 2x in a row!
    Why did they bother??
    "this way, that way, i am of two minds" -sappho
    http://classicpersuasion.org/pw/sappho/index.htm

"T & B"! Love that.

I haven't listened to the soundtrack yet, just a bit of a song here or there. It sounds juvenile to me. I find it encouraging that others here like it. I have really been into Hamilton and, well, nothing compares well to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Aster View Post
    "T & B"! Love that.

I haven't listened to the soundtrack yet, just a bit of a song here or there. It sounds juvenile to me. I find it encouraging that others here like it. I have really been into Hamilton and, well, nothing compares well to that.

Hi, I´ve checked it out after you mentioned, the Hamilton Musical, and Tori´s one and Hamilton´s have nothing to do. I think both could be enjoyed.

TLP is absolutely brilliant and its style is different from the hamilton one. It´s much more classical and less crowded, more intimate, if you know what I mean. Hamilton musical seems like a total super production. TLP is more humble although the staging was quite complex, the music is inmense in my opinion. And also it´s the first Tori musical, I think it has a lot of merit because of that.

I´ve found myself incredible surprised by the quality of TLP and listening to it a lot. The instrumentation is so complex, with so many instruments, harpsichord included, and I love that is a piano based musical. It´s not common at all.

I think few, if there´s any, contemporaries of Tori could pull off such score, releasing a new album and while in a world
    tour.
    Last edited by datura1452; 02-06-2016 at 01:18 PM.

Just got back from the "Story to Stage" British Academy event, where Rosalie Craig sang 3 songs from The Light Princess. Was really lovely...