Page 2 of 177 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: 'The Light Princess' and its Cast Recording

"The as-yet untitled piece will have music and lyrics by Amos"

So its not called The Light Princess?

I'm excited this seems to be definatly happening, I always had my doubts. Definatly a good thing for Tori to expand into this sort of genre.

WOW! Marianne Elliott directing! that's HUGE....her last two productions at the National have been some of the best in their program! This is really good news for Tori!

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Yay! April 2012. Thanks for the news

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    It's great news. A date set in stone to look forward to.
    Gone. When hope is almost gone, you know that's the time we must stand strong --
    Every girl in every band- Every cosmic cowboy in the land -to the Earth will you show mercy?

It says it's going to be at the Lyttelton Theatre, which has a capacity of 890

The Lyttelton Theatre is one of three theatres inside the National Theatre complex and is the second largest. It is named after Oliver Lyttelton who was the very first board chairman of the National and is remarkable for its striking proscenium-arch design. The theatre is situated next to the Thames River in the London borough of Lambeth in South Bank and was designed by architects Sir Denys Lasdun and Peter Softley. Lyttelton opened in 1976.

Plays that have been previously performed to audiences at the Lyttelton include The Madness of George III in 1991 starring Sir Nigel Hawthorne and The History Boys which premiered on Lytteltons stage in 2004 and starred popular actor James Corden. The play subsequently went on to be performed in Broadway.

More detail from the Press Association. It will not be called The Light Princess...

The National will also host a musical by American singer-songwriter Tori Amos in April 2012.
    Amos, who had a number one hit with Professional Widow, has written music and lyrics for the work based on a story called The Light Princess by Scottish writer George MacDonald.
    National director Nicholas Hytner said they had been working on it for "three or four years" and it was "suggested" by the MacDonald fable but would have a different title.

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    Oh gosh, that's so exciting. Seriously. I am actually collaborating on a musical right now and have a whole new appreciation for the amount of work that goes into it. Really happy for her!

it's not meant to be a strife MikeEP's Avatar
    hmmm might be a good excuse for a trip to London. very exciting news!

I'm so glad the musical is actually happening! I've been wanting to see it ever since Tori first made mention of it in 07, and it's good to finally have a concrete date. I'm definitely going to make another trip to London to see the show, so I'll have to start saving up.

I'm also very glad it's not going to be called The Light Princess, since I was never a fan of that title.

I have to admit I was a bit skeptical,now that I see a date,names and stuff,I'm very happy!

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    I like the title. hmm. Wonder what it is being changed to.?.
    Gone. When hope is almost gone, you know that's the time we must stand strong --
    Every girl in every band- Every cosmic cowboy in the land -to the Earth will you show mercy?

I've never had my doubts about the musical, but I'm glad that we have concrete news of when and where it's taking place.

I was beginning to doubt it would ever see the light of day as news was so slow in coming, but this is the best news I've heard so far this week! I liked the title, hope the real title isn't anything worse!

Now all we need is a new album this year to tide us over...

By JILL LAWLESS, Associated Press Jill Lawless, Associated Press – 28 mins ago

LONDON – A musical by singer-songwriter Tori Amos and a new play from Mike Leigh are among productions being staged by Britain's National Theatre over the next year.

Amos has written music and lyrics for a play based on "The Light Princess," a 19th-century fairy tale by Scottish writer George MacDonald. The theater announced Wednesday that it will be staged at the London venue early in 2012.

Writer-director Leigh, who was nominated for an Academy Award this week for the screenplay to his film "Another Year," has started work with an ensemble of actors on a play that as yet has no script and no title and is due to open in September.

Leigh's plays, like his films, are developed collaboratively during rehearsals.

"I have absolutely no idea what's in his mind," said the venue's artistic director, Nicholas Hytner.

Leigh staged a play about Jewish identity, "Two Thousand Years," at the National in 2005.

Other season highlights include "One Man, Two Guvnors," an updated version of 18th-century comedy "A Servant of Two Masters" featuring "History Boys" and "Gavin and Stacey" star James Corden, which opens in May.

There is also a new and so far untitled play by Irish writer Conor McPherson — the author of "The Weir" and "Shining City" — that opens in October. The same month sees the opening of "Collaborators," a play by John Hodge — writer of the screenplay for "Trainspotting" — that imagines a meeting between Soviet leader Josef Stalin and long-banned writer Mikhail Bulgakov, author of "The Master and Maragarita."

Britain's flagship state-funded theater has had a run of successes in recent years, transferring several hits to Broadway and broadening its audience through a discount ticket policy.

But like many major arts organizations, it is facing a likely cut in funding as the government slashes spending in a bid to reduce Britain's deficit.

Hytner said the company would continue to take risks, despite tough times.

"When the economy is down, we should be up," he said. "I don't want to go timid and stop spending just because the economy is contracting."

Made it to the main Entertainment News page of the BBC!

Here's the link to the article.