Page 67 of 72 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1072

Thread: St. Vincent

Those visuals!

I downloaded earlier today and couldn’t get it off my computer onto my iPhone. I also couldn’t get it to burn to disc. Does iTunes not let you copy leaks to cd or your phone anymore? If so, how long has this been going on? I’m seriously on my phone all the time and haven’t opened up my laptop in forever.

BUT...my pre-ordered copy from iTunes is on here now ( I WANTED it like crazy today not only because I was salivating for it but because I had a long drive. Would’ve been perfect. Oh well. ) and I’m waiting until morning to drive around and listen from start to finish. I’ve found that driving around is my favorite way to listen to music and St. Vincent is PERFECT for drives. Anyway, my expectations are sky high and it seems from everyone’s reactions that I won’t be let down. I’m totally expecting it to be my fave of the year. I’ll be surprised if it isn’t.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

I didn't quite get through the entirety of MASSEDUCTION on my commute this morning, but DAMN is this a great record. If I had time I would have circled the block a few times to finish.

Happy Birthday, Johnny is particularly devastating to me.

it's not meant to be a strife MikeEP's Avatar
    As I told Kari earlier, I had barely even opened my eyes this morning before I hit "download" on Spotify...I'm dying to dig in today. This has been such a great year for music (SZA, Perfume Genius, Lorde, Kelela..the list goes on!).

first listen - really like it a lot. It's sort of more...poppy than her usual? Not in a bad way, just stood out for me. LOVE the title track. Standouts for me are: Masseduction, New York, Los Ageless, Pills, Happy Birthday Johnny, Smoking Section (oof what an ending). This album feels really personal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    It's sort of more...poppy than her usual?
    Agree -- one of the things she keeps mentioning in interviews is that she wanted to write "air tight" songs and i think that's probably part of what she meant, because these are some super-tightly constructed pop songs with monster hooks. I am getting major Prince vibes from the title track.

Quote Originally Posted by Meowth View Post
    Those visuals!

Love this!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEP View Post
    Agree -- one of the things she keeps mentioning in interviews is that she wanted to write "air tight" songs and i think that's probably part of what she meant, because these are some super-tightly constructed pop songs with monster hooks. I am getting major Prince vibes from the title track.
    This is her Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea IMO. I like it a lot so far.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEP View Post
    EXACTLY! I hear SO much Prince in this album. Not just musically but in the way he approached sex in his music.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

holy shit, this album. it's somehow both SO HER and also such a fresh sound..like the part of Young Lover at like 2:25 where the song just explodes, i've never heard anything like this from her before. it's blowing me away.

This album... I'm in love. The critical reception has been predictably amazing; currently 90 on Metacritic. It'll be interested to see reactions from the straight white dudes who covet her.

There's an amazing contrast on this album. She's called it her most personal, which is hilarious for many reasons. How many artists say that every time they release a new album? I believe Annie 100%, though. So she takes her most personal songs and filters them through her most obtuse, ridiculous, campy lens yet. Even Jack Antonoff feels intentional. He's the hottest producer in pop, and he's insanely talented. But obviously St. Vincent's name stands out on a list of Lorde, Taylor Swift, and P!nk. In a way, she's subverting what "working with Jack Antonoff" means in the pop landscape.

Vocally, she pushes herself to new places. The whistle note in "Young Lover" gives me chills every time. Same effect as Kesha's in "Praying." There's more body, power, and deliberateness than ever.

The Prince and Madonna influences are clear, but I also love how Garbage this sounds. "Sugarboy" and "Young Lover" have that ugly, crunching guitar contrasted against beautiful melodies. It's the perfect way for her to flex her pop muscles.

*sigh* She is it. Five fantastic albums and one of the greatest visionaries we have.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Just had my first full listen- I am really enjoying it a lot! I can't wait to spend more time with it.

Judging from the universal praise, I might be the only person on the face of the planet who is thoroughly disappointed with this album. It's just so bland compared to her previous stuff. I find the (purposefully?) cheap production to be particularly awful. I doubt the rumoured acoustic/stripped-down version of the LP will change my mind - to be honest I barely made it to the end of the record, I was bored shitless halfway through.

i like it, i don't love it.
    this is a very finely, nicely crafted, layered pop album. i like all the songs.
    it has moments, but i miss the totally weird st. vincent. i know she'll be back, so i'll take this for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
    Judging from the universal praise, I might be the only person on the face of the planet who is thoroughly disappointed with this album. It's just so bland compared to her previous stuff. I find the (purposefully?) cheap production to be particularly awful. I doubt the rumoured acoustic/stripped-down version of the LP will change my mind - to be honest I barely made it to the end of the record, I was bored shitless halfway through.
    My experience as well. X__X "New York" is the exception.