Page 71 of 73 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1083

Thread: St. Vincent

burning up the bible BettahDevil's Avatar
    Anyone know what's up with the Pills video? It's been "blocked on copyright grounds". I was going crazy trying to find it last night, but no such luck. Weird

the whole Detroit show is available here in professional quality, multicamera.. I believe this was the Twitter livestream.

I listened to "Masseduction" out of boredom for the first time today and contrary to my expections, I really, really liked it. "Hang on Me", "Pills" (though everybody seems to hate it), "New York", "Slow Disco" and "Smoking Section" struck a nerve, and "Los Ageless", "Savior" and the title track are bangers. The rest is good as well. So happy I gave it a chance, since St. Vincent was always one of these artists I felt I was supposed to love - listenable yet experimental, far from boring, great voice, intriguing album art, interesting face, etc., but strangely, never kept me interested longer than for a day. I was fond of a few songs off "Marry Me" (I think) back then, so that album is next on my list.
    Last edited by Butter Moon; 12-12-2017 at 02:33 PM.

her performance and interview on NPR's World Cafe is now up: https://www.npr.org/sections/world-c...-on-world-cafe

the setlist (which is just her on acoustic guitar):
    Los Ageless
    New York
    Masseduction
    Slow Disco

Those acoustic versions are wonderful! Is she still doing an all-acoustic version of the whole record?
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

^ I was coming in to ask the exact same thing.

It sort of makes me sad, but this album is just not going to get the attention the last one got it seems. Maybe rightfully so so? But I was really enjoying the “St. Vincent everywhere you look” period that seemed to weirdly quiet down with this album? Maybe I’m wrong and haven’t been out and about much?
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

imagine a future and be in it emanate's Avatar
    ^ It seems like St. Vincent's reach is pretty far these days. My dad asked me about her music recently. He's nearly 70 and doesn't really spend much time reading online. He read an article about her in a print newspaper when she came to Philadelphia. I'm not sure if he ever checked out the YouTube links I sent him, though.

Oh nice. I was hoping that the mixed reception the album received didn’t knock her off the trajectory she was on.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

Quote Originally Posted by The Markness View Post
    Those acoustic versions are wonderful! Is she still doing an all-acoustic version of the whole record?
    According to someone at a Q&A she said she will release it but she doesn't know how or when yet.

I thought this album was (mostly) met with glowing reviews? She's been cited on many critics' lists for best albums of the year--Pitchfork, American Songwriter, A.V Club, Brooklyn Vegan, Entertainment Weekly, The Guardian, the New York Times (Jon Pareles), Q, Slant, Rolling Stone, and Vinyl Me, Please all named her album as one of the best of 2017. She may have been slightly lower on some of those lists than usual and slightly higher on others, but she was still there.

My sense is that some longtime fans are not liking this as much as her other releases, but a significant portion love it and it's their favorite. She's not topping the pop charts, but the reception seems in line with previous recent releases.

It has an 88% score on Metacritic, it was incredibly well-received.
    (MM: 78%, A: 81%, SM: 85%, s/t: 89%)

Here in the U.K. it was named album of the year by the Times, but also she was awarded worst gig of the year too.....