Page 1 of 72 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: St. Vincent

She was looking out the window Snow White's Avatar

St. Vincent

St. Vincent needs a thread!

I saw her play at the Pitchfork Music Festival yesterday and she is brilliant live. All of her songs are slightly reinterpreted and she was accompanied by saxophone, flute, and violin.

Plus she's absolutely amazing on guitar. There was a long guitar solo on Your Lips are Red that eventually became really noisy / distorted (verging on too messy) until the violinist began playing with her and faded it out perfectly into the rest of the song. Such a cool moment.
    Last edited by Snow White; 04-04-2014 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Because why not fix spelling from four years ago if you catch your mistake.

^That Your Lips Are Red moment sounds amazing. I'm seeing her August 1st in Central Park, and am sure the show will be excellent. I missed her last time she toured and am still kicking myself over it.

She's playing august 1st in Central Park? I didn't know that!

I'll be there! It will be my third time seeing her. Who wants to hang in the front row?

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    She's playing august 1st in Central Park? I didn't know that!
    Yeah, it's a free SummerStage show in the afternoon. Tune-yards is opening, and I'm excited to see her again as well.

Does anyone know if she's been playing new material or covers at the recent shows she's done? I'd love to hear some new stuff as well as the Actor/Marry Me tracks.

And heartlikeasocket, I'd love to hang in the front row, although I shudder at the thought of how much time I'd need to spend in the heat to make that happen.

She was looking out the window Snow White's Avatar
    ^ At Pitchfork she played all material from Actor with the exception of "Your Lips Are Red." (At least that's what I remember. The 90 degree weather and insane humidity may have fried my brain a little.)

Quote Originally Posted by headlikeahole View Post
    And heartlikeasocket, I'd love to hang in the front row, although I shudder at the thought of how much time I'd need to spend in the heat to make that happen.
    Ahhh, good point. I'm really praying for lower 80s that day, even though I'm sure that won't happen. She played a stunning cover of "Mistaken For Strangers" by the National at the Allen Room show. One of the best shows EVER(hello, David Byrne, Justin Vernon, and Bryce Dessner!). It would be really cool if she busted that out again. She also brought back "Jesus Saves, I Spend" and "Dig a Pony" for some of the shows in February. I was sad to see her ditch "Now, Now" and "Marry Me," though. I'm really looking forward to Basia Bulat and Tune-Yards. Should be a great show!

Glad to hear she's good live, I'll definitely check her out if she ever rolls through town.

I really love Actor, but have yet to check out Marry Me. Are they fairly different?

Quote Originally Posted by heartlikeasocket View Post
    Ahhh, good point. I'm really praying for lower 80s that day, even though I'm sure that won't happen. She played a stunning cover of "Mistaken For Strangers" by the National at the Allen Room show. One of the best shows EVER(hello, David Byrne, Justin Vernon, and Bryce Dessner!). It would be really cool if she busted that out again.
    I was at that show!! It was amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
    Glad to hear she's good live, I'll definitely check her out if she ever rolls through town.

I really love Actor, but have yet to check out Marry Me. Are they fairly different?
    She definitely puts on a great show. Actor and Marry Me are fairly similar, I guess. The arrangements on Actor are a lot more complex and I think there's a lot of emphasis on that, whereas in Marry Me, the arrangements are more straightforward (but still AMAZING) and there seems to be a little more emphasis on the lyrics. If you like Actor, I'm sure you'll enjoy Marry Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I was at that show!! It was amazing!
    Wasn't it? I just started crying during random parts of the show. The Allen Room is the most beautiful venue I've ever been to! She was really feeding off the energy of the room and the atmosphere was so intimate. The sound was out of this world, too!

Boost! The show was amazing last night. The rain held off. I was worried because I hadn't brought an umbrella with me.

First of all, Basia Bulat and Tune-Yards were both amazing. Basia's simpler, folksy tunes were the perfect way to start the evening. She was low-key, but powerful and poignant. I often wondered where that voice was coming from. Tune-Yards was absolutely insane! She was wailing, looping, breaking drumsticks and I absolutely adored her. I was more familiar with her music than Basia's, so I was definitely looking forward to her set. I would absolutely see her again.

Annie's set was pretty flawless except for a few technical difficulties, which seemed to annoy her immensely, especially when there was feedback in the middle of Actor Out of Work. She played with her usual band as well as a string section and three saxophone players. We couldn't have asked for a better show!

Setlist:
    The Strangers
    Save Me From What I Want
    Actor Out of Work
    Jesus Saves, I Spend
    Just the Same But Brand New
    The Neighbors (debut!)
    Laughing With a Mouth of Blood
    The Bed
    Black Rainbow
    Marrow
    Your Lips Are Red

Encore:
    The Party (new arrangement)

I thought the show yesterday was great overall, but there were some definite sound issues. The bass was WAY too high and it was hard to hear the string section at points as well. The debut of The Neighbors, Marrow, and Jesus Saves, I Spend were all highlights for me. I'm not sure how I feel about the new arrangement of The Party, it was interesting but I would've much rather heard a version more similar to the album, especially since she had the string section there.

Basia Bulat and Tune-Yards were also great, I was pleasantly surprised by how good (and long) Basia's set was, and it was great to see Tune-yards with a fuller sound since they brought out horns, another drummer, and a few other people to play on some songs.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    from twitter:
    @st_vincent Did I mention I'm working on a new album? I'm working on a new album! All other details TBA in due time, friends. X
    Last edited by ebby; 01-14-2011 at 12:20 PM.

Yay! That's great news! I'm really looking forward to it!

Woo hoo!!