View Poll Results: The beekeeper or American Doll Posse

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Beekeeper

62 57.41%
  • American Doll Posse

46 42.59%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which album do you like better - TBK or ADP?

Banned

Which album do you like better - TBK or ADP?

generally they are both regarded as her worst albums, yet they sound very different. Her look was very different. The themes expressed are pretty different. So I'm just wondering which one people like best of the two. I'm pretty much undecided. I certainly viewed ADP as an improvement over Beekeeper when it first came out. But as time has gone on I find ADP's clunky production and rock instrumentation annoying. Beekeeper's worst tracks are at least sort of sweet, not stick a fork in my ears annoying like You Can bring Your Dog. So I'm torn.

Last edited by NUHN; 07-20-2010 at 10:56 PM.

ADP, no doubt about it!
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

The Beekeeper:

Original Sinsuality
    General Joy
    Sweet the Sting
    The Power of Orange Knickers
    The Beekeeper
    Garlands

vs.

Code Red
    Bouncing off Clouds
    Almost Rosey
    Dragon

I genuinely like both, but for very different reasons.

I would say, however, that TBK is closer to my heart. I love every bit of it, from start to finish. I even love the production. I think it's warm and, sonically, delicious. And it also has some of her best lyrics.

ADP is great in its own right, but TBK is among my favs.

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    The Beekeeper all the way. There are just more songs here that have become "classics" for me. The Power of Orange Knickers, Martha's Foolish Ginger, Jamaica Inn, Goodbye Pisces, The Beekeeper, Sweet The Sting, and more. When it comes to ADP, it's Dragon, Code Red and Beauty of Speed and that's about it. TBK wins!
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

The Beekeeper by a landslide. I feel like there are good to excellent songs on the record wrecked by shit vocal/production. ADP has too much...shit.

I love both albums, but I don't think there's any song on ADP as bad as Ireland or Sweet The Sting (I liked STS at first, but now it bores me. The song is kinda ok, but it was ridiculously produced).

Beekeeper. Both are weak albums, but as Kari said, Beekeeper has some genuinely wonderful songs on it that somehow transcend the shit production/vocals.

I can enjoy the Beekeeper in the right mood and setting. I think the last time I listened to American Doll Posse though was in 2007, so TBK is my choice.

I think both albums need to be experienced live, with that being said I go with ADP! Father's Son, Code Red, Dragon, Smokey Joe, Girl Disappearing, Almost Rosey....these are songs I love, especially live and piano based.

Either of them will do it for me in the right mood, but I don't really like either of them all that much. I'm one of the few people that enjoyed ADP for what it was worth, campiness and all, but The Beekeeper really shines live and has some of my favorites in that context. I don't think the songwriting is very good on ADP, but like somebody said above, I'm not sure there's anything on ADP that's as poorly written as the myriad of awful and/or lazy one-liners on TBK. I guess my ambivalence toward both of them makes it hard for me to choose. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    The Beekeeper by a landslide. I feel like there are good to excellent songs on the record wrecked by shit vocal/production. ADP has too much...shit.
    Yep. I'd add that the production on ADP hurts the good songs more than the production on TBK hurt those songs. The best stuff on TBK is way above the best stuff on ADP as well, even if ADP doesn't have anything as awful as Ireland. ADP is also when Mac Alladin hit a low point of shitty guitar playing that hopefully will never be reached again.

ADP is way too long. But I feel like the good songs on ADP are GENIUS (bouncing, code red, smokey joe, dragon), whereas the good songs on Beekeeper are just GOOD. And the bad songs on Beekeeper are EMBARRASSING, whereas the bad songs on ADP are either super short or not particularly offensive to me.

whose wheels are squeaking arsonist samael's Avatar
    I dislike them equally.

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar
    Are they her two most different-to-each-other chronologically side-by-side albums?

The Goods: TBK is warm, ADP is lively
    The Bads: TBK is repetitive and boring, ADP is disjointed and clumsy, and also quite boring

A narrow win for ADP in my book.

MOST of the songs I dislike on TBK I dislike more than the songs I dislike on ADP.

The fact that she couldnt find room on them for Garlands or My Posse Can Do is the worst thing.