View Poll Results: The beekeeper or American Doll Posse

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Beekeeper

62 57.41%
  • American Doll Posse

46 42.59%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which album do you like better - TBK or ADP?

ADP for me.

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    I think if The Beekeeper were to have been produced differently and slightly edited, it would have been her best album. Some of those songs are just her best! Just listen to the live versions. I think 15+ songs are ADP are completely...I don't know, I guess I need to listen to ADP today.
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    I never listen to The Beekeeper any more at all, whereas although I don't like ADP as an album, there are a few individual songs on it that I do still listen to, so that's why my vote went there. I honestly can't recall the last time I listened to any track off TBK.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan with a *y* View Post
    I think if The Beekeeper were to have been produced differently and slightly edited, it would have been her best album. Some of those songs are just her best!
    Totally agree with that. I mean, "General Joy" is not a bad song; the problem is the version on TBK. The same with "Cars and guitars" (I do believe that song has a lot of potential). "Barons of suburbia" is a good song, but with a different production it would've been AMAZING.
    If I dislike TBK so much is, basically, because I feel so disappointed about it. It could've been a good album (though it needs to be edited; 12 tracks would be ok), but it's just... Martha Stewart-ish.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

I voted for The Beekeeper. Although I like my favourite ADP song -- Smokey Joe -- much better than anything on The Beekeper, I think TBK is the better album. ADP is, IMO, just a collection of songs that happen to be on the same CD, while TBK is a real album, with songs linked linked together both by musical style and by the repeated and connected themes of religion and betrayal in a relationship. As others have said, TBK might have been a great album.
    I think that ADP was, on the other hand, never even meant to be a great album. I almost think of it not as a regular Tori Amos album, but rather as a side project she recorded for the characters she invented.
    Black Diamond finally confessed

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    I voted for ADP. I can't even listen to The Beekeeper anymore. While both albums have their flaws, ADP is at least fun and energetic. The Beekeeper is a chore to listen to. The production is so dry and flat. And I'm sorry, but I don't even buy the argument that the songwriting is good on the album. I'll take Toast, The Beekeeper, The Power of Orange Knickers, and a solo version of Jamaica Inn- but the rest don't really interest me.

ADP is a mess, but at least she was trying something different. With the Beekeeper she was trying to ride on the coattails of Scarlet's Walk's success- and it really shows.

also- this:

Quote Originally Posted by uskidsknow View Post
    But I feel like the good songs on ADP are GENIUS (bouncing, code red, smokey joe, dragon), whereas the good songs on Beekeeper are just GOOD. And the bad songs on Beekeeper are EMBARRASSING, whereas the bad songs on ADP are either super short or not particularly offensive to me.
    Last edited by .chris; 07-21-2010 at 10:57 PM.

The Beekeeper , easy question
    the only song i actually listen on ADP is code red

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    Ok, so I gave ADP a listen on my commute today. I'm sorry, but it just doesn't seem like a REAL Tori Amos album, it just seems absolutely ridiculous. It's all over the place, it makes no sense and there are so many crap songs on it that I couldn't even get through to Roosterspur Bridge. Someone had mentioned embarrassing songs from TBK. You want embarrassing songs? Try Teenage Hustling, Big Wheel and Mr. Bad Man, amongst about 16 others on ADP. I hate that stupid fucking CD. Haha! Sorry, maybe I've had a bad day. No offense to any ADP fans, love to all EWF (haven't used that in a while), to each their own. Trust, I realize in the general scheme of things, I'm in the minority loving TBK as much as I do.
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    Both TBK and ADP have bad production, but the songwriting on TBK is overall better by a mile. Live renditions of TBK songs, band or solo, are generally wonderful. Live renditions of ADP songs, band or solo, are hit or miss. I also have a lot more emotional attachment to TBK as a whole.

I'm a sensible girl GirlForPele's Avatar
    Well since The Beekeeper is one of the worst things I've ever heard in my life, and American Doll Posse is my 3rd favorite Tori album...I picked ADP.
    When pianos try to be guitars...out of my black and white world

Quote Originally Posted by NUHN View Post
    generally they are both regarded as her worst albums, ...
    I feel that AATS should be included in this thread. I know that myself and many others consider it to be on-par with the previous two in terms of awfulness, if not worse.

I don't think any of the three are awful, but I agree that TBK, ADP and AATS are very similar albums.

TBK is one of my favourite Tori albums, up there with LE and SW, although not as good as Choirgirl or Pele.

Far, far superior to ADP.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan with a *y* View Post
    Ok, so I gave ADP a listen on my commute today. I'm sorry, but it just doesn't seem like a REAL Tori Amos album, it just seems absolutely ridiculous. It's all over the place, it makes no sense and there are so many crap songs on it that I couldn't even get through to Roosterspur Bridge. Someone had mentioned embarrassing songs from TBK. You want embarrassing songs? Try Teenage Hustling, Big Wheel and Mr. Bad Man, amongst about 16 others on ADP. I hate that stupid fucking CD. Haha! Sorry, maybe I've had a bad day. No offense to any ADP fans, love to all EWF (haven't used that in a while), to each their own. Trust, I realize in the general scheme of things, I'm in the minority loving TBK as much as I do.
    Well, I join you in your TBK love. I fell in love with TBK the first time I heard it and have continued loving it ever since. I do understand why it's not to some fans tastes, but for me, it's just one great song after another.

ADP on the other hand, sounds as if it's trying too hard. I reckon Tori listened to fans negative opinions on TBK and deliberately tried to give her next album an edge, so she started trying to rock things up a bit, and the results were less than impressive tracks like Teenage Hustling, Body & Soul, Fat Slut and YCBYD. They're not convincing, they're trying to be edgy and failing miserably. A good Tori rock song is Bliss or She's Your Cocaine. The rockier ADP tracks just don't compare.

ADP isn't without it's merits, I'm a big fan of Fathers Son and Dragon, but on the whole, the record is a mess.
    Last edited by MattyJam; 07-30-2010 at 12:29 PM.

I'll put on my silver UnderTheSpace's Avatar
    ADP, no doubt. Digital Ghost is the song I like the least but the whole album just rocks. Was pure fun. No matter how corny Big Wheel is, she seems to enjoy it live so much. The same with BoC.

The Beekeeper sound is too "polished" and it's the album I like her voice the least. Though was the first time I saw during that tour, no way compares to the energy of ADP tour. Even the merchandise was weird. I am also not so crazy for the Hammond as well (it's a bit on the heavy side).
    Last edited by UnderTheSpace; 07-30-2010 at 01:15 PM.