Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Catholicism WOW thread.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarendai View Post
    Did anybody see what Dot said in eastenders when that girl asked her about the Anglican church?
    Yes! The bit about them liking it when black folk drop in?

haha it makes them feel more integrated! Though I find it worrying that the cast is getting more and more black in the name of political correctness
    GSV Tarendai

i'm the painter of light obv ThomasKinkade's Avatar
    at least the catholic church gave us saint sebastian!!

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    More delightful uses of "mental reservation" to lie, but not lie, this time to a Jury in Canada in 1870!

In case you've forgotten:

A wide mental reservation is using equivocations and amphibologies to imply an untruth that is not actually stated.
    In the strict mental reservation, the speaker mentally adds some qualification to the words which he utters, and the words together with the mental qualification make a true assertion in accordance with fact.
    but obviously without the words that the priest says in his head and no-one else can hear the statement means something else entirely.

Some examples: Mentally reserved words in brackets.
    e.g. "I didn't fuck that (preteen) boy (every day).
    I did (not) tell him to stop sucking me off.

Or this article gives some actual examples that surfaced during one of the reports into the institutionalised abuse of children by the Catholic Church in Ireland.

In other crazy Catholic news, the Archbishop of Dublin recently gave a speech in Italian, but with no available english language translation, as there were "no resources available" to translate the speech. Sure, the speech was given in Italy, but the Archbishop himself is Irish and speaks English.

But it's ok, this article about the speech shows that he was talking a lot of bullshit anyways:

As the church tried to come to terms with its current crisis, he said, it was often not much helped either by concerned, charismatic Christians or by self-righteous politically correct lay opinion.

Making reference to the debate on the role of the Catholic Church in Irish education, Dr Martin suggested that the fundamental role of Catholic schools in guaranteeing social integration in today’s Ireland was not always recognised, adding: “Sometimes, you get the impression that a pluralist Ireland must de facto be a laicised Ireland.”
    laicised = reduced to lay status ; to defrock a priest.

And yes. Yes it should be. Unless the priest / nun teacher leaves their religion out of the classroom and focuses on the subject they are teaching.

Dr Martin also criticised the poor quality of Catholic and lay intellectual debate in modern Ireland, saying: “There are no forums for reflection on the relationship between faith and life similar, for example, to the Catholic academies in many German dioceses.
    Because the intelligent debate is coming from corners he doesn't like, I guess, such as the "Count Me Out" and "Atheist Ireland" corners.

“There is no serious Catholic press in Ireland . . . Very few people present themselves as Catholic writers whilst we have lots of people ever ready to comment on church affairs, often in a sensationalist manner and with little real knowledge of the nature of the church.
    Here's one example: Paddy Agnew, who is a Catholic writer and criticises the church very accurately as the Religious Affairs Corespondent for the Irish Times? But perhaps those articles are too critical? And as for the first sentence, this says it all: http://twitpic.com/1dh35q

“Yet, there is a tendency on the part of Catholic commentators to sensationalism and to underestimating the depth of the crisis of faith and to imagine that everything could be sorted out with a few . . . management strategies.”
    LOLZ, understatement.

Reflecting on the historical figure of Cardinal John Henry Newman, Dr Martin suggested that today’s Ireland badly needed inspirational figures such as the founder of UCD, due to be beatified by Pope Benedict XVI in Birmingham next month.

He said: “In the Catholic Gazette of February 9th, 1855, Newman wrote, ‘One of great calamities of the modern era is the separation between religion and science, whereas the union of both these things represents the perfection of knowledge, something which makes men not only well informed but also good Christians’.”
    Ugh. Separating religion and science may have been a calamity for religion, but not for science.

And one more, to really set off your Thursday:

'Visionary' gets too much information

A SELF-styled visionary yesterday told followers he couldn't give them a message from the Virgin Mary as she had given him "so much information" he couldn't remember everything, writes Eimear Ni Bhraonain.

Joe Coleman said he would have to reflect on it all before putting details on his website.

The Dubliner also held up his bus pass, telling supporters he was a "poor man" who lived off the invalidity pension.

More than 1,000 people turned out at the Melleray Grotto in Cappoquin, Co Waterford yesterday to see Mr Coleman.

Mr Coleman, who has attracted scorn for his claims that the Virgin Mary passes him messages, told the crowd that Our Lady had appeared to him with red roses at her feet.

He said she had given him a "fantastic" message and had urged everyone to pray.

But he was unable to pass on the message as it was too extensive.

Speaking after the event, Mr Coleman claimed to be "disgusted" at how the Catholic Church had treated his supporters.

He said he would be returning to Knock, Co Mayo shortly, a place where he claims to see the Virgin Mary.

"Knock may look out. The people are going to claim Knock back. They cannot close Knock on me and my followers."

Mr Coleman claimed his supporters had been "disrespected".

"The Catholic Church -- they cannot bar us from the church -- that's Our Lady's church, it's our church."

Mr Coleman was referring to how he and his followers were not allowed to pray in the Apparition Chapel in Knock.

Oh the crazy. It keeps coming.

Blasphemous heathens! Where is the pedophilia and the rampant decadance and hypocrisy?!
    GSV Tarendai

it wouldn't even matter other pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gog View Post
    Yeah, the article says about the British government wanting to shift him away quietly because they thought arresting a priest would cause such ructions in the community they'd regret it. It shows the deeply ingrained the Church was in the power structure of the country at the time.
    Shocking to think that they were probably right too. That is, right in their prediction of the consequences of taking action.

As Britain prepares for a visit from the Pope, there is opposition from some gay people who believe the Roman Catholic church is intolerant of their sexuality. But in one London church homosexuals are attending a "gay Mass" with the blessing of senior clergy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11218791

Im of the personal opinion that Dawkins and Stephen Fry etc are right to want him to be arrested on his arrival, and he should, we've arrested far lesser known people for far less using the same rules
    GSV Tarendai

Did ye see the article in New Humanist, asking people what they would say if they had an audience with the Pope? It's interesting reading: An audience with the Pope

If you were invited to address Benedict XVI during his UK visit, what would you say to him? Richard Dawkins, Philip Pullman, Claire Rayner, Ben Goldacre and many more take part in our Pope quiz.

Official welcome on behalf of British atheists
    Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist: "Mr Ratzinger, as head of the worlds second most evil religion you are not welcome. True, your church recently pardoned Galileo (four centuries late), and eventually revoked its historic anti-Semitism. But the equally long-established misogyny remains. On almost all issues concerned with sex, contraception, population and reproduction your stance is illiberal, inhumane and immoral, and your propaganda claim that condoms dont protect against AIDS is scientifically inaccurate and murderously cynical. In criminally shielding child-raping priests from justice you have placed the welfare of your church ahead of your victims. Go home to your tinpot Mussolini-concocted principality, and dont come back."

Claire Rayner, broadcaster and campaigner: "I have no language with which to adequately describe Joseph Alois Ratzinger, AKA the Pope. In all my years as a campaigner I have never felt such animus against any individual as I do against this creature. His views are so disgusting, so repellent and so hugely damaging to the rest of us, that the only thing to do is to get rid of him."

Great minds think . . . clink
    Francis Wheen, journalist and broadcaster: "You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence. In short, sonny youre nicked."

Johann Hari, journalist: "I am placing you under arrest for conspiracy to pervert the course of justice, and for your central role in the systematic cover-up of the rape of children across five continents. You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you do not say now something you may later rely on in court. Wait there - Ive called for a police officer to take you down to the cells."

read the rest at the link. They're worth reading.

aging hipster trash The Seaward's Avatar
    i thought this thread was going involve smiting murlocs with holy water and collecting gold for the big JC.

still good, though!
    I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

Belgians apostasizing in record numbers

Faced with ever-more harrowing revelations of child sex abuse by Roman Catholic clergymen, Belgians are turning in record numbers to apostasy formally breaking with their religion through a process of de-baptism.

It has increased enormously since the cases of child abuse. It keeps going up, said Bjorn Siffer, deputy director of Flemish Humanist-Secular Society. We know from the bishops' secretaries that they cant cope with all the requests they are getting for de-baptism.

Siffer says 80 people ditched Catholicism during a single de-baptism day in Antwerp in June and a similar number dropped out of the Church in an event earlier this year in the western city of Kortrijk.

A secular organization in Belgiums French-speaking south says 869 people have used its help to sever links with the Church so far this year, compared to 380 for the whole of 2009, and just 66 two years ago.

"The pedophilia cases play a part, but its more that people have had enough of the positions which the Catholic Church has taken on issues like abortion, contraception and homosexuality," said Daniel Leclerq, a coordinator at the Federation of Friends of Secular Morality.

more...
    Backlash? What's that?

Pope's adviser pulls out of visit

One of the Pope's senior advisers has pulled out of the papal visit to Britain, after reportedly saying the UK is a "Third World country" marked by "a new and aggressive atheism".
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    This is by far my favourite:

Nick Doody, comedian: "Hello, er, do I call you Popey? Mr Pope? Herr Ratzinger? Ratzinger sounds like an anti-rodent spray. Anyway, youre probably wondering what this is. Its a condom dont panic, my intentions are honourable. Now, just relax as I roll it over your head... Dont be silly, of course you can breathe. After all, a molecule of oxygen is far smaller than, say, the HIV virus, and if, as you claim, that can get through, you should be in no danger at all. Why are you struggling? Have a little faith! Ah, now youve gone blue. And still. Perhaps Id better leave... I bet this isnt how you thought youd be found."

That's awesome!