Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sarah Palin Fancy Pageant Walkin' Thread, Also

Exclamation The Sarah Palin Fancy Pageant Walkin' Thread, Also

The Oxymoron of the Sarah Palin "Conservative Feminism" Brand

Let me say this one more time: Sarah Palin is not a feminist. In fact, the fabricated term "conservative feminist" is an oxymoron.

As I said this morning on the Laura Ingraham Show, Sarah Palin calling herself a conservative feminist is like BP calling themselves a corporate environmentalist. You don't get to just pick up that word and use it the way you want it.

I think we can all agree that feminism is about equality. Where we disagree is whether or not "equality" extends to all aspects of a woman's life—including reproductive health choices.

To me and the many other women's rights activists who have spoken out on this subject, claiming to support equality for women—without trusting them to make the most important and personal life decisions—is both absurd and insulting.

Feminism is intrinsically linked to a woman's ability to make the same decisions as a man. Women need to have control over their own important life decisions. It's that simple. If you take that power, that basic right of autonomy, away, you take away a woman's economic viability, personal freedom, and any ability to make her life her own.

True feminism means giving women choices. Anything else is silly putty feminism—stretching the word far beyond all meaning and recognition.

What's ironic is how women like Palin and Fiorina are reaping the benefits of the pro-choice feminist movement. And that's fine...when women have equal representation in public office, we will of course have women on both ends of the political spectrum.

But I find it immensely sad that these women aim to revoke the very rights which afforded them their chance to become successful political figures.

Of course, I can't change that. However, these women don't get to turn around and completely redefine the word feminist. They don't get to steal, mangle, and distort its meaning. Not on my watch, and not on the watch of the many organizations that truly defend women's rights.

Even putting feminism aside, 81% of Americans believe that individuals, not politicians or the government, should have control over their own important life decisions, according to their own circumstances and values.

Government isn't about forcing your own personal beliefs on the masses—and neither is feminism.

"It's okay, I have gay friends!"

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

Lightbulb

I actually want to read that article. I'm fascinated by the fact that she appeals to ANYONE.

I'm worried that her appeal may tip in her favor these next couple of years ( yes, there are that many uneducated, uniformed Americans), and that we may have her sitting in the WHite House :/

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    I think she'll run, and worse, I think she'll win.

I think she'll run, but nah, she won't win. She'll scare the fuck out of us, though.

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    I don't know, Heather. The right is super mobilized (again). Obama is fucking up all over the place and losing moderates. Meanwhile, the media (so-called "liberal media") continues to take her seriously. People have all but stopped making fun of her or questioning her qualifications, save for lefty blogs etc. The Tea Party has been legitimized. I think she's a force to be reckoned with, and the Dems had better have a really good game plan or she's gonna take it.

I wish to God it wasn't only the uneducated or uninformed people she appeals to. I have a friend who is an avid Palin supporter and she is incredibly intelligent and thoughtful. This is what scares me. It's not just the fringe nuts she's getting support from.

Lightbulb

She'll run, but I don't think she'll even get the nomination.

I don't think she'll run, she's making too much money and having too much money fun (Freudian typo) right where she is. She doing fine as a cheerleader, but her positions are too self-contradictory and easily skewered.

Besides, being a candidate is too hard!

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I think she wouldn't win because despite her supposedly folksy charm, a lot of people are still sexist. Now granted, I never thought I'd see a president with any known black in his background get elected, so I'm talking out of my ass. But I think there are a lot of people who wouldn't vote for her because she's a woman. Those people are more likely to be Republican-leaning voters, whereas the racists not voting for Obama weren't likely to vote for him even if he was all white.

And she is a fucking moron. There are a lot of people who do see that, but we're not necessarily as loud and organized as her fanbase. I think she gets a lot of media attention because she generates ratings. Her unpopularity itself drives pages views and ratings. We froth at the mouth talking about her, but we're going to those sites and those channels. It's not like the media is giving her a platform so much as it's exploiting our "OMG can you believe she said that?" tendencies. We'll click because it's a train wreck and we're rubberneckers. They don't care why we click but that we do.

I don't know if they still do it on Sirius, but when Howard Stern was on FM, there'd be an intro at the beginning of his show that was a clip from Private Parts. It was someone talking (Paul Giamatti?) about how the average Howard fan listens for like 15 minutes a day and the reason was "I want to hear what he says next." Then the person goes on to say the average Howard detractor listens for an hour (or whatever) and the reason was "I want to hear what he says next." It's that same kind of thing. Love her or hate her, we watch and listen.

I also think she's enough of a fucking moron that if she runs, she'll put her foot in her mouth. She can be prepped only so much, and it sounds like she didn't listen to her handlers very well the first time. The GOP would be better off running her as a VP candidate again, but this time not with an ancient senator with a history of cancer. They'd get the attention and the "I love her" votes, but with her not being the actual candidate, it wouldn't scare off too many sexist voters or ones that don't like her that much.
    Last edited by Regina Phalange; 06-16-2010 at 05:55 PM. Reason: forgot words

She can't handle a real run. She'll quit half way through.

Is it possible to run for national office without getting covered by the "lame-stream media?" If so, she might run. I reeealy don't think so though. She can't take any kind of heat, her only response to any kind of criticism is that they are twisting what she said/the "facts" to suit their agenda.

Scarlet is right, she's a train wreck and we're rubberneckers. Look away!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarella View Post
    She can't handle a real run. She'll quit half way through.
    Dingdingding! That's it right there. And really, how can people vote for someone for president who wouldn't even finish one term as governor? Of course, I know plenty of people still will but if it came to an actual presidential election that could sway more than a few voters.