Page 106 of 106 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 1590

Thread: Kate Bush bits and bobs

While her musical genius obviously has nothing to do with her politics, I'm glad that she came forward with this. I completely agree with @EdwardG's comment above, about how her work is characterised by so much empathy and awareness. It would have been a bit of a letdown to find that she doesn't follow those principles in her real life. That's not to say that people who vote Conservative lack such qualities, but at this moment in time and particularly in the UK, the decisions made by the Conservative party have been too disastrous for someone to ignore or wave away in good conscience.

^ Hear hear!

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    They might be "coming back" just in time as apparently something else is cooking for this year music-wise. Grain of salt until confirmation...
    Apparently (APPARENTLY) something might be announced tomorrow-someone on Facebook is saying.

That’s it.

I’ve seen so many of these though.....

It's probably a Tori clarification this time.

Yay! More clarifications!

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Last Saturday Pitchfork reviewed The Kick Inside (8.4, very nice review), The Sensual World (9,4!!!!!), The Red Shoes (7.0, which is fair, we know it's her Beekeeper), and The Dreaming (7,7, WTF Pitchfork!?)
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

^I read those reviews and thought they were mostly uninspired. They also severely underestimate how influential these albums are.
    I'd score TKI and TSW in the mid 90s, TD in the high 90s and TRS in the high 80s.
    I suppose they at least gave Hounds a much deserved 10.

Half their review of The Dreaming is spent discussing cultural appropriation, which frankly tells you everything you need to know about its validity. In fact the whole thing reads like it was written by a SJW in her sophomore year of college. Not a fan.

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BrotherNamedErised View Post
    SJW in her sophomore year of college
    This whole post says a great deal more about you (which I don't think you mean to say, but who knows) than it does about the review you're criticizing. If you're trying to say "the review is claiming that Kate Bush is guilty of cultural appropriation in The Dreaming, and I don't agree with that for X, Y, Z reasons..." then say that. Great. Make your case. But to wholesale dismiss the concept of cultural appropriation, or give life to this ridiculous and insulting concept of "SJWs", while also being not a little sexist about it, No, go find a new forum for that. Thumbs down. Sorry bruh.

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    This whole post says a great deal more about you (which I don't think you mean to say, but who knows) than it does about the review you're criticizing. If you're trying to say "the review is claiming that Kate Bush is guilty of cultural appropriation in The Dreaming, and I don't agree with that for X, Y, Z reasons..." then say that. Great. Make your case. But to wholesale dismiss the concept of cultural appropriation, or give life to this ridiculous and insulting concept of "SJWs", while also being not a little sexist about it, No, go find a new forum for that. Thumbs down. Sorry bruh.
    Hey bruh. How're we feeling today?

It's true that my post says a great deal about myself, which is indeed a shame since I was trying so hard to hide my views and opinions by posting about them in a public forum. But your intrepid sleuthing has put an end to my devious scheme. I want to thank you for instructing me on how I should have better phrased it or conducted myself. Your brand of condescension is infinitely more refreshing than the ones you rail against.

I wholeheartedly dismiss the concept of cultural appropriation, because I have no time for idiotic grievances during a period when the entire world seems to be on fire. People are being stripped of their basic human rights all over the world, getting shot in broad daylight, drowning on their way to a safe place, and being held in cages if they do arrive but there seems to be less righteous fury and indignation over that than there is over a pop star wearing a kimono or eating a watermelon in a music video. Discriminating against a culture in any way is something I take issue with. The political correctness of a singer's stylistic choices is, decidedly, not.

sexism | ˈsɛksɪz(ə)m |
    noun [mass noun]
    prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex: sexism in language is an offensive reminder of the way the culture sees women.
    My only reference to the author's sex was in the pronouns I used. She appears to be a woman. This did not inform my criticism of her work in any way, shape or form. I would have used the exact same terms had the writer been a man. Disagreeing with something a woman said does not automatically make one a sexist. Criticising a woman's point of view is not misogyny. No-one is exempt from criticism. Not myself, not Kate Bush, not Ms. Carr. It's how a forum works.

Now, as long as I am being respectful of this forum's rules and terms of use, something which I have done since the day I signed up as a member, I will continue to post when I like, where I like, and about whatever the fuck I see fit. I suggest you find a way to deal with that.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherNamedErised View Post
    I wholeheartedly dismiss the concept of cultural appropriation, because I have no time for idiotic grievances during a period when the entire world seems to be on fire. People are being stripped of their basic human rights all over the world, getting shot in broad daylight, drowning on their way to a safe place, and being held in cages if they do arrive but there seems to be less righteous fury and indignation over that than there is over a pop star wearing a kimono or eating a watermelon in a music video. Discriminating against a culture in any way is something I take issue with. The political correctness of a singer's stylistic choices is, decidedly, not.
    I completely agree. The whole notion of cultural appropriation seems to me to be putting people into more and more silos, when more separation is the last thing we need, instead of brining us all together as one species. And so many of the criticisms show a shitty grasp of history. Like the objection to white people wearing dreadlocks, when there's much to suggest they've been common to many cultures throughout history - there are Roman accounts of white Celts wearing them. I'm not saying trust fund white kids in dreads don't look like dicks but there are far worse crimes. And for a music critic to pick up on cultural appropriation without acknowledging that the entirety of rock and roll as performed by white people is making use of black culture shows a very shaky grasp of the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    Thank you for posting. I think sometimes folks get defensive about this topic, because they assume that talking about cultural appropriation means that you're calling someone a big bad racist, when the reality is a bit more nuanced than that. The Dreaming was released almost 37 years ago, and a lot has changed since then. I love Kate's music, but she's not above critique, and I assume that part of the point of reviewing a 37 year old album, would be to reexamine it through a contemporary lens.

Tell me @BrotherNamedErised, help me understand, just what precisely is a SJW?

Because as far as I can tell, it's a sexist, right wing construct born of moron MAGA hysteria, that essentially means "when there is a viewpoint we don't like, specifically one that acknowledges there is neither racial nor sexual balance in our society/culture/world, we put it in this little box called "SJW" to indicate how silly and trite t is and diminish it straightaway".... without giving any analysis or gravity to the subject at hand. It's just the newest evolution of those who rail against "political correctness". Oh, I hate those Politically Correct Liberals! I can't even call Faggots, Faggots anymore! It's straight out of the Fox News/Hannity/Limbaugh playbook.

And while I get that word policing in the interest of sensitivity can go too far, what diminishing ideas as "SJW" and "Politically Correct" ultimately does, what the purpose of it is, is to diminsh the humanity that compels people to be thoughtful and aware, understanding, inclusive, and just. It is literally a right wing political tactic. Just what do you think is setting the world on fire, if not humanity being extinguished everywhere one turns?

Back to SJWs... Perhaps not coincidentally, I've seen it used almost exclusively by straight white males, the most entitled, privileged people in the world (that's a fact, by the way), typically when doors are being opened for minorities to level the playing field (refer to the comments on any YouTube video you can find about the growing presence of females in Star Wars, for a very handy example). I don't know where you live, but in America, straight white males constitute the majority of people who voted for President Garage Dump Tump. White men who feel threatened by any leveling of society. White men who seem prepared to set the world on fire to maintain the status quo that rewards them for their whiteness, maleness, and straightness. (Oh wait, I'm speaking very much like an SJW right now, aren't I?)

Are you one of them? Are you one of these morons?

Because I have never heard an intellectually respectable person use the term SJW. Or I should say, I have never heard any person make a coherent, logical and persuasive argument who is using the term SJW. Referring back to your original post, you did not make a coherent, logical, or persuasive argument about why that review is bad, and you still haven't, by the way. (I'm not saying it isn't bad, I have never listened to the album, I wouldn't know.)

And btw, I acknowledge being a total condescending dick by calling you "bruh". I absolutely detest this whole "SJW" trend (obvs) and I was quite surprised to see you use it, as I tend to appreciate your posts.