Page 48 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast

Thread: Kate Bush bits and bobs

Quote Originally Posted by other pete View Post

Where'd you get this one?

there are wonders working inside me Red_Rose's Avatar
    Just dropping this here in case it hasn't been posted, because that one scene from the Director's Cut images always reminded me of something, just couldn't recall what...

Max Ernst, illustration to "A Week Of Kindness" (1934):

That is really cool, Red_Rose! Never saw that before.

I see rumours of a new album are circulating on other forums. I guess if Kate has gone back to mostly writing on the piano, which she seemed to have done for 50, she could have been working on new songs for a while even if she's been waiting for her new studio to be done before recording them. It'd be great to get something next year.

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardG View Post
    I see rumours of a new album are circulating on other forums. I guess if Kate has gone back to mostly writing on the piano, which she seemed to have done for 50, she could have been working on new songs for a while even if she's been waiting for her new studio to be done before recording them. It'd be great to get something next year.
    *Squeal!*

Thanks EdwardG.... It sounds credible to me. I seem to recall around the time FWFS came out, an interviewer asked if she had any ideas about her next album and she said "Oh yes." Does anybody else remember that or am I making it up?

^Yes, in November 2011 she said she already had ideas for the next album but she was going to take some time off first.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    The fact that she put out two albums six months apart in 2011, with no inkling that the second would come out so soon after the first, makes me think anything is possible. Being a Kate Bush fan in 2013 is so different to a few years ago, it really feels like she's 'got going' again so to speak. And I like it!

And if she's happy with less songs on an album now, seven or so, and the bulk are pre-written on the piano, maybe that cuts down the time it takes? She's said she feels she used to try too hard so it sounds like she's comfortable with a simpler approach these days. Fingers crossed. I loved the 2011 albums - both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardG View Post
    And if she's happy with less songs on an album now, seven or so, and the bulk are pre-written on the piano, maybe that cuts down the time it takes? She's said she feels she used to try too hard so it sounds like she's comfortable with a simpler approach these days. Fingers crossed. I loved the 2011 albums - both of them.
    Same. I seem to be nearly alone in this, but I think DC is a much stronger album than TSW or TRS. I also think I might prefer FWFS to Aerial (though it's a tough call).

Quote Originally Posted by Puddles View Post
    I seem to be nearly alone in this, but I think DC is a much stronger album than TSW or TRS. I also think I might prefer FWFS to Aerial (though it's a tough call).
    Only nearly alone, because I agree with you. I think they're two of her best albums and if DC had been released as entirely new, and we hadn't heard earlier versions of those songs, I reckon a lot more people would rank it towards the top. 50 is brilliant. Now it's winter, I'm listening to it again and it just gets better and better. Like Hounds and The Dreaming it's one of those albums that keeps revealing little details I'd previously missed. Its simplicity is deceptive and there's a lot more going on there than there seems to be at first listen.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    I've completely given up on ranking her albums above or below each other. They are all special in their own way and all of them mean a lot to me for different reasons. I agree, Director's Cut is a lovely album and a worthy edition to her catalogue. The new versions of 'Song of Solomon' and 'Lily' are career highlights, for me.

Quote Originally Posted by spyk_ View Post
    I've completely given up on ranking her albums above or below each other. They are all special in their own way and all of them mean a lot to me for different reasons. I agree, Director's Cut is a lovely album and a worthy edition to her catalogue. The new versions of 'Song of Solomon' and 'Lily' are career highlights, for me.
    She's one of those very few artists whose entire work continues to appeal to me about equally. I'd tell people that Hounds of Love or The Dreaming are my favourite albums, yet I probably listen to The Red Shoes a lot more. I just love them all, albeit in very different ways. I can be in a Lionheart mood or an Aerial mood or whatever because they're all (as you say) special to me in their own way.

With Director's Cut, it's not that each song is necessarily "better" than its original version, but I'm not sure that was the point of the album anyway. I think she wanted to pluck the strongest songs from The Sensual World and The Red Shoes because she felt they were overshadowed, and put them together on the album she would have preferred to make (looking back) from that collection of songs. The result is one of her most visceral and emotionally immediate albums, IMO.
    Last edited by Puddles; 12-06-2013 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddles View Post
    With Director's Cut, it's not that each song is necessarily "better" than its original version, but I'm not sure that was the point of the album anyway. I think she wanted to pluck the strongest songs from The Sensual World and The Red Shoes because she felt they were overshadowed, and put them together on the album she would have preferred to make (looking back) from that collection of songs. The result is one of her most visceral and emotionally immediate albums, IMO.
    Absolutely. I see it as a completely new album.

Somebody on Homeground managed to unearth this interesting nugget:

http://www.ccdni.com/director-catherine-bush-7

"CATHERINE BUSH has position Director (DIRECTOR AND MUSICIAN) in company TESORO PRODUCTIONS LTD. At current position Director (DIRECTOR AND MUSICIAN) of company TESORO PRODUCTIONS LTD is 2 months."

It also states that Catherine Bush was born in 1958, so it's quite clearly Kate. The company was incorporated in October.

There's been lots of chatter about a Best Of. I'm not a fan of Greatest Hits or Best Ofs (especially in this day and age when you can find so much of a musician's work on YouTube for free), but I'd welcome any new release from Kate. The new company makes me think there might be something else around the corner as well in any case.
    Last edited by Puddles; 12-08-2013 at 02:12 PM.

Look what I found!

I was going through my chest of drawers back home and dug out these. Of course none of them fit me any more, but I'm going to keep them as mementoes.

KateTop1.jpgKateTop2.jpgKateTop3.jpg

The last one is a t-shirt my friend had custom made for me for a birthday (my 16th, maybe). The text says 'We Love Bush!'. I'm not going to pretend we weren't simple-minded teenagers.