Page 9 of 109 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Kate Bush bits and bobs

Quote Originally Posted by ChoirgirlsInGaffa View Post
    http://www.avclub.com/articles/kate-bush,53295/

Am I the only one who gets really annoyed by the repeated exalting of Hounds for Love and the disregard for The Dreaming? I simply do not understand it.
    I don't either. I think people show more love for Hounds of Love maybe cause it's a bit more accessible than the Dreaming and therefore more superior?

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    It's album release time. You know what this means? Articles about this reclusive weird cow known as Kate Bush!

Yes, the Daily Express has such an article today called "From Wuthering Heights to Mothering Nights." I haven't read it but I had a quick glance. The word "recluse"? Check. Reference to doing laundry? Check. Mention of her expensive home(s)? Check.

I may well read it, maybe I'll learn something.

I just read it. I find it so hilarious that most people think it's "weird" for Kate to shield her son from the public eye (OMG NO PHOTOS OF BERTIE!). Good on her for doing that.

'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    RE: That AVClub article. To be fair, the conceit of the write-up is suggesting "gateways" into a large, pre-existing body of work. "I always wanted to get into Kate Bush but I never know where to start!" So I guess HoL being more 'accessible' than The Dreaming would make it a more appropriate pick.

To be unfair, though, The Dreaming is what really kicked me from "appreciate, like, own a couple of albums" to "I MUST POSSESS EVERY SOUND THIS WOMAN COMMITTED TO RECORD." I think the fact that it's "difficult" really is held against it to an unfair degree -- if you don't like 'difficult' music, you'll probably never like Kate beyond the half-dozen singles you probably know already.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    One of the radio shows here tweeted me a heads up that they're gonna play some Kate Bush tonight, after I mentioned them previously because of a Kate Bush on the radio moment that happened late one evening. This has made me happy.

So I'm kinda new-ish to Kate Bush, I haven't really sat down to listen to all her stuff before like I've been doing recently. I did a little history readup on wikipedia to get a better idea of her, but I guess I'm wondering how she is received in England, she seems to have done really well with her records, is she still adored? She's really so out there, it's nice to have seen her do so well with being so eccentric. It seems like just about every song she's done is completely unique in itself. I wasn't there from the beginning and am getting her music in one fell swoop and I'm still getting to know her, so I'm curious to know what it is about her that you guys love so much? I mean that in the nicest way.

Welcome!

In answer to your question about her popularity in England, she's in a unique position in the sense that she is hardly ever photographed, didn't release a record for 12 years, and doesn't play the "celebrity game" yet is still really quite famous. I know people, of all ages, who don't necessarily know her music but know the name 'Kate Bush.' She's always been a commercial success in the UK, only one of her studio albums didn't peak in the UK Top 3, and yeah I guess she is something of a British cultural icon (I think "Wuthering Heights" would be her most culturally pervasive song.) That said, the tabloid press do seem to have a fixation with her private life and try to paint her as this weird recluse who shields herself from the public eye without fail and lives some kind of strange hermit existence. The truth to me seems that she lives her life very normally, privately, quietly, but the press like to do a story on her every now and then. But the music press - the magazines and so on - really do value her a lot.

Thumbs up

Corinthe, I'm quite newish myself. But I have completely fallen under Kate's spell and I'm kind of shocked. I had randomly downloaded "Cloudbusting" a few years ago, and after a few listens, it really clicked with me. I wasn't super intrigued about her, though. (yet) We were in some restaurant and I heard a snippet of "Running Up That Hill" and I just felt the biggest grin spread over my face. I was like, "I know who that is!" I figured it was time to listen to more.

My husband got me Hounds of Love (remastered) last Christmas and I grew to love that album deeply, especially The Ninth Wave. I considered seeking out more and checked out some snippets of her songs on Itunes. That is NOT the way to listen to Kate Bush. I was completely put off and thought, "What is with that voice??!" Of course she was younger when she'd recorded a lot of those songs. I didn't think I would like anything else of hers. Well, I was wrong. I ended up buying The Sensual World because it was very cheap & I thought, "Why the hell not? I may like it as much as HOL. It may just need time." Within three listens I was really enjoying myself with it. I believe my favorites are "The Sensual World", "Love and Anger", "The Fog", "Never Be Mine", "Rocket's Tail", "This Woman's Work", and "Walk Straight Down the Middle". Hell, I even sorta liked "Heads We're Dancing"!! Since then I've been lurking on this forum and reading peoples thoughts/interpretations on her songs, just getting more information. I find her to be a fascinating musician.

My birthday was recently and my good friend bought me Lionheart and Aerial. I'm digesting Lionheart right now and I'm amazed at how much it effects me. I don't think it's even really a fan favorite. But songs such as "In Search of Peter Pan" and "Wow", though I love them and they move me, actually make me feel sad and unsettled. I adore "Full House", "Coffee Homeground", "Symphony In Blue", and "Hammer Horror". The higher pitched voice was strange at first, a little much, but I got used to it. She just blows me a way. And I really enjoy the piano on that album too.

I still haven't tried out Aerial, but I have a very good feeling about it. I know it was her latest and fans waited a looong time for it. I've read great things about it. I don't think the comparisons to Tori were ever apt. She reminds me a lot more of Bjork. She's totally wacky and does her own thing. She's always experimenting. She never does what people expect her to do.

I want The Dreaming and The Kick Inside next. I guess I'll get The Red Shoes last. Hehehe. I'm sure I'd enjoy that one too. This woman is an INCREDIBLE talent and was quite ahead of her time. I'm quite smitten with her.

I recently discovered that my 21 year-old nephew, who is a huge metalhead, industrial music fan and a lover of anything experimental and anything non-English language from Europe or Asia (he loves 60s and 70s Korean and Japanese girlpop and lots of Finnish and Russian folk for example) had sneakily liberated my copy of Lionheart to investigate this character known as Kate Bush, whom he's heard me spazzing out over for many years. This was shortly after I showed him the clip of Kate doing RUTH on Wogan with the guys with the military drums, jokingly claiming it was she who actually inspired the martial-industrial genre. I have this ongoing thing with him where he mentions some obscure genre and I come up with spurious evidence that Kate actually invented it. Anyway. I asked him why he chose Lionheart out of all the Kate albums as it's still in the early squeaky phase and he said a)the cover was awesome and b)"I thought that if this was in Japanese, I know I'd like it."

I love it when my evil influence finally wins out.
    Last edited by Lágnætti; 03-26-2011 at 07:26 PM.

I like that story!

And madworld, glad you are enjoying discovering Kate. I think Lionheart is distinctly underrated; it was definitely a bit of a rush job but I think the songs are really strong for the most part. Let us know how you get on with the other albums and if you want any advice/info be sure to ask, we're a friendly bunch

So I heard a strange cover of 'Running up that Hill' on one of the network cop dramas a week or two ago. Did y'all already cover that?

^ It was probably Placebo's cover. It's everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post

And madworld, glad you are enjoying discovering Kate. I think Lionheart is distinctly underrated; it was definitely a bit of a rush job but I think the songs are really strong for the most part. Let us know how you get on with the other albums and if you want any advice/info be sure to ask, we're a friendly bunch
    Thank you Menju. I'm just glad to have someone to gush over her with. NO ONE around here knows who she is. Even my husband told me he'd never heard of her.

I really love Lionheart! I was just a little surprised at how much those two songs (In Search of Peter Pan and Wow) effected me. They are beautiful, to be sure, but I just felt very sad. I think it was my mood that day. I love just about every song on that one, only In the Warm Room is kind of underwhelming, though I like it's slightly sinister feel.

I cannot WAIT to hear The Dreaming. I think I'm going to be head-over-heels for that one, as I enjoy her piano playing so much. But The Sensual World, Hounds of Love, and Lionheart are WONDERFUL to my ears. I think she's a genius.

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    I think the reason Hounds of Love gets mentioned so much is because it was her simultaneous critical and commercial peak in the UK. Running Up That Hill was a massive hit.

Quote Originally Posted by madworld View Post
    I cannot WAIT to hear The Dreaming. I think I'm going to be head-over-heels for that one, as I enjoy her piano playing so much. But The Sensual World, Hounds of Love, and Lionheart are WONDERFUL to my ears. I think she's a genius.
    I would only consider myself a casual Kate listener but "The Dreaming" is probably one of my favorite albums by any artist.