Page 95 of 95 FirstFirst ... 4585939495
Results 1,411 to 1,424 of 1424

Thread: Kate Bush bits and bobs

I want Kate to respond in kind, just for once. I know it will never, ever happen and that she's made her feelings on Tori rather clear through omission, but I wish she would understand that inspiring so many great artists is a privilege, not a source of embarrassment. Oh well.

I mean, look how Stevie Nicks wholeheartedly embraces younger artists that she has inspired. Same with Dolly Parton. They do it with full knowledge of their great legacy combined with an almost humble generosity.

Then again, who can blame anyone for being silent when the vast majority of the media, record labels and the public pit women against each other so often. :-(

I think Kate really just doesn't know Tori's work and most of contemporary music. I believe her when she says she doesn't listen to new music. Antony may be one of the few exceptions.

^ Same.

I'm going to refer back to a discussion we had when Kate came out with kudos for Theresa May, the conservative prime minister: "I think it’s the best thing that’s happened to us in a long time. She’s a very intelligent woman but I don’t see much to fear. I will say it is great to have a woman in charge of the country."

This was when I changed my user title to "Let them eat cheese flan" in a fit of picque. ) I was really pissed off at the time, but after some reflection, I realized that it touches on Kate's reluctance to embrace Tori's kind of feminism wholeheartedly simply because she thinks it can be extreme and divisive. Not that she's ever given any evidence that she knows anything about Tori, mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    My problem this morning was that the quote seemed too enthusiastic at a time like this.

I think the fact that the interviewer couched this question in the terms of "being afraid in the wake of the Hillary Clinton defeat" is key here. It seems to me like Kate might see feminism as counterproductive, at least from an artistic point of view. This was her take on feminism in 1989: "Yuck! God, I hate that word. It's like calling someone a sadist! I think it's really unfortunate that word has been so associated with very extreme... extremist persons. Radical behavior. And I think although it probably had to be put in a bit at the beginning, I think all women are rather offended by that term now. What really has power is when you get people like Jennifer Saunders and Dawn French up there doing something really good, as women, being people, just being women. Women just getting on with it and doing it, and doing it well. Which I think a lot of women are doing now. And there's not such an alienating process going on between men and women."

Also, if you take the time to consider her exact quote re: Theresa May for a few minutes it's kind of damning with faint praise:

"I think it’s the best thing that’s happened to us in a long time. She’s a very intelligent woman but I don’t see much to fear. I will say it is great to have a woman in charge of the country.

"She’s very sensible and I think that’s a good thing at this point in time."

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    Stop!! I'm still trying to forget those comments!! But then I have always thought of post-2000's Kate as being holed up in some coastal country mansion that reeks of cats and marijuana, with no TV or internet, twirling about the garden and dreaming of fish people and birds and stuff. It's a privileged life, to be so sheltered, but one that she's earned I suppose. I think she probably learned her lesson about commenting on current events -- when in doubt, don't.

She's so out of touch it's not even funny. At the same time though, she's never had any trouble infusing honest masculine and feminine influences in her work.

I mean, we have wonderful artists like Neil Gaiman and Natasha Khan of Bat for Lashes gushing over how songs like This Woman’s Work are celebrating everything that’s laudable about being a woman: about being nurturing and intuitive and emotional and gentle and sensual. But nobody ever seems to notice that TWW is written from the point of view of a man. As are other songs like Pull Out the Pin, In Search of Peter Pan, Cloudbusting and (arguably) Running Up That Hill. Kate seems to be fine with taking on any persona to illustrate an emotion without regard to their sex.

I think that "Running Up That Hill" and "This Woman's Work" kind of mirror each other directly. The former is the expression of a woman who's trying to understand the experience of a man whereas the latter is a man's prayer to soften the pain of the woman he loves, as he witnesses her struggle and is unable to support her otherwise.

^ Beautifully said, BrotherNamedErised.

It might be worth revisiting these two videos right about now.

"You don't wanna hurt me
    But see how deep the bullet lies
    Unaware I'm tearing you asunder
    Oh, there is thunder in our hearts
    Is there so much hate for the ones we love?
    Tell me, we both matter, don't we?"

"I should be crying but I just can't let it show
    I should be hoping but I can't stop thinking
    All the things we should've said that I never said
    All the things we should have done that we never did
    All the things we should have given but I didn't
    Oh darling make it go
    Make it go away"

Quote Originally Posted by FreshMownGrass View Post
    I think Kate really just doesn't know Tori's work and most of contemporary music. I believe her when she says she doesn't listen to new music. Antony may be one of the few exceptions.
    has Kate said that she likes Antony her music ?

Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    "All these men that don't even matter" THANK. YOU. TORI.

Their inductee list always looks like a mix tape made by a guy in a motorcycle club or a woman who's had the same hair since the '80s.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Octopussy again.

Quote Originally Posted by seso View Post
    has Kate said that she likes Antony her music ?
    She said she liked Antony & The Johnons while doing press for Aerial. She also said she'd liked the last Gorillaz record while doing press for 50WfS and added that she wasn't such an old fart yet.