Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rufus Wainwright

Denn alles Fleisch, es ist wie Gras Malike-pakile's Avatar

Rufus Wainwright

I just am really getting into his recent album "All Days are Nights:Songs For Lulu".

I think it takes a little longer to like this album, as it is quite complex, but once you find a way in, it is a very good and soothing album.

My favourites are Where are you New York? , The Dream and Zebulon right now.

I'm not gonna talk about Judy. Johnothon's Avatar
    I own and love every album Rufus has ever made but I've yet to be seduced by ADAN. This might sound silly but I find it hard to grasp onto anything. Zebulon is great, I do like that song, but apart from that... Time will tell.

My heart belongs to Want.

Oh yes, those Want albums are still his best.
    Though I also really like Release the Stars...especially Tiergarten and Sanssouci

I'm not gonna talk about Judy. Johnothon's Avatar
    Tiergarten is lovely, it's true. Release the Stars is my favourite from that one.

Do you have an all time top Rufus number?

No, I don't think I have.There are too many.

A strange thing for me is, that I really only listen to Rufus in Fall/Winter...somehow his music really speaks to me, when it is cold and dark outside.
    (today is a rather rainy day, that's why I came up with this thread )

aging hipster trash The Seaward's Avatar
    my top 10 ru tracks

1. grey gardens
    2. foolish love
    3. beautiful child
    4. in a graveyard
    5. danny boy
    6. in my arms
    7. hometown waltz
    8. old whore's diet
    9. shadows
    10. april fools

i love rufus. loveloveLOVE the man. his music is so very dear to me.
    I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

i was a huge rufus fans before and saw him live many times, but lost interest with release the stars. Haven't given a proper chance at the latest album yet. I probably will at some point though.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    ^ I was the same. I just didn't really enjoy "Release The Stars".

In many ways, though, I think "All Days Are Night: Songs For Lulu" is one of his greatest acomplishments so far. The songwriting is wonderful, the piano work is better than anything we've heard yet from Rufus, and the lyrics are perhaps his most personal yet.

I've been completely suckered in by this album. It's the opposite of Want One in many ways, and the lack of a big orchestration might make it harder for people to get used to. It's my joint favourite of his albums at the moment, and certainly the one I'm listening to the most these days.

I'm really digging: Martha, Zebulon, The Dream, Who Are You New York?

It's a wonderful album.

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    It really is a wonderful album. It could very well be his best? Perhaps that's the newness of it for me, but it's gorgeous from start to finish and his piano playing is thrilling to listen to. I adored his last album very much, it had replaced Poses as my favourite which is something neither the Want albums could quite manage. But I was ready for Rufus to stop with all the production and arrangements and let the songs breath. This is the album I've been waiting for from him for ages and it definitely doesn't disappoint.

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    Has anyone heard Rufus's achingly gorgeous cover of Judy Collin's "Albatross"? It's on the Born To Breed: A Tribute To Judy Collins album, which is incredible in its own right. Dar Williams, Dolly Parton, Shawn Colvin, Chrissie Hynde, Joan Baez, Leonard Cohen, and even Bernadette Peters. This comp. also introduced me to the gorgeous Webb Sisters, who's cover on this album steals the show. Anyway, Rufus is at the top of his game on Albatross, and his vocals are sinfully pure.

http://www.amazon.com/Born-Breed-Tri...=cm_cr_pr_pb_i

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    I'm having another night in with "All Days Are Nights", which I came back to listening to tonight after reading some Shakespeare sonnets online, three of which are of course set to music on this album.
    SONNET 43

When most I wink, then do mine eyes best see,
    For all the day they view things unrespected;
    But when I sleep, in dreams they look on thee,
    And darkly bright are bright in dark directed.
    Then thou, whose shadow shadows doth make bright,
    How would thy shadow's form form happy show
    To the clear day with thy much clearer light,
    When to unseeing eyes thy shade shines so!
    How would, I say, mine eyes be blessed made
    By looking on thee in the living day,
    When in dead night thy fair imperfect shade
    Through heavy sleep on sightless eyes doth stay!
    All days are nights to see till I see thee,
    And nights bright days when dreams do show thee me.
    Explains the winking images projected behind him in the live gig. Heh. Never really thought much about the words to be honest, as I don't think the sonnets are the strongest parts of the album at all. In fact, I think they're the weaker middle in a strong album.

Still think this is perhaps the strongest though.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    I've never heard a song by him. My exposure to him and his kin have all been through film. His dad was in a music sequence in the film The Aviator and Rufus was in this little movie that I quite liked called The Heights. I know him as an actor. lol.

I think his album Poses, or even just the title track, is a good place to start.

Top 10 RuF:

Do I Dissappoint You
    Oh What A World
    The One I Love
    The Art Teacher
    Gay Messiah

Go or Go Ahead
    14th Street
    11:11
    Who are you New York?
    Beautiful Child

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    Oh man, where do I even begin? Brambles, Poses is most definitely a good place to start, I agree. Rufus is one of my top 5 favorite artists of all time, but I started to slightly lose interest with RTS. This was probably due to the fact that I consider his first 4 albums all masterpieces, especially Want One. That album produces such a feeling for me that I could almost cry just talking about it. It's so powerful. It's amazing, amazing music. I've listened to ADAN maybe twice all the way through. It's going to take time, but like ebby said, that piano work is probably the best of his career. I can tell that much. I've seen Rufus many times live, but nothing compares to the concert where he played Imaginary Love for the encore! I had met him before the show and asked him to play the song and after a long pause, he said "well, the chances aren't nill." He came out for the encore and said "someone asked me to play this and it's been a really long time, so I hope I don't fuck it up," or something along those lines. God, I wish I had an mp3 of that performance. It was at a Cleveland show on his tour with Ben Folds. Anyway, Rufus' music was a huge part of my early to mid 20s and he was the first artist to ever effect me the same way Tori did. So, I definitely hold a special place in my heart. I guess I'll need to listen to some Rufus today, it's been awhile! If I had to pick some favorites:

Go or Go Ahead
    The Consort
    Poses
    Imaginary Love
    Beauty Mark
    Vicious World
    The Art Teacher
    14th Street
    11:11
    Grey Gardens
    April Fools
    Dinner at Eight

well, the list can go on and on and on...

Love me some Rufus.
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo