Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rilo Kiley, Jenny Lewis and related

Icon15 Rilo Kiley, Jenny Lewis and related

I bet I'm not the only Rilo Kiley lover here.

They are one of my favourite bands ever and Jenny's solo work is brilliant as well. Blake's solo project The Elected is also great.

There's blood spilled on the floor
    Everyone's staring at you, what for?
    Until you realize the blood is probably yours
    You feel you've lost something, you want it back
    You're lying motionless on your back
    And your legs aren't taking any more requests
    Those disobedient wrecks
    How you cared for them as they carried you
    From class to class and coast to coast
    When you owned land and when you were broke
    Through recessions and addictions
    Rilo Kiley - Accidntel Deth

Genius!
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

i'm a big Rilo Kiley fan..both of Jenny's solo albums are a bit uneven in my opinion, but there are some stellar tracks on both (especially Jack Killed Mom and Rise Up With Fists).

i'm not sure i have a favorite Rilo Kiley album..my favorite release of theirs is probably actually the Live at Fingerprints EP. i loved the first half of Under the Blacklight but i find tracks like Dejalo, 15 and Give a Little Love almost unlistenable.

Quote Originally Posted by Brambles View Post
    i loved the first half of Under the Blacklight but i find tracks like Dejalo, 15 and Give a Little Love almost unlistenable.
    There's an alternate mix of Give a Little Love that makes it sound a lot less Ashanti and more pop-Rilo, but I couldn't find it on YouTube. I came around to liking the album version, but the alternate mix edges it out a bit.

I wish Rilo would get back together to do something other than the b-sides album they're compiling.

Jenny & Johnny tis leaked. I'm enjoying it; nice sunny vibe. Should be a good end-of-summer album.

Yay, it's a great sunny, summer pop album! I've been listening to the stream on NPR, and I'm going to the Austin show. Can't freakin' wait. I love me some Jenny.

I'm completely opposite of Brambles, as I find Rilo Kiley album's to be very uneven, mixed moments of genius and crap. But I think Jenny Lewis's solo discs are gold. "Acid Tongue" is by far one of the best albums of the decade, IMO. It did take me a bit longer to get into Rabbit Fur Coat, but once I did, it shot all of the Rilo Kiley albums out of the water.

They'll eat your baby cat! Peter Z's Avatar
    I can't get into Jenny and Johnny whatsoever. I'm supposed to review their show tonight in SF for Glide Magazine, but I think I may opt to go to SFMoMA to catch the Daft Punk film and review that instead. I just can't get into the album at all. Frustrating, because I loved Acid Tongue!

Blah, I'm right there with you. I love Jenny and her voice, but in combination with Johnny's, the whole record sounds like it was made as a boring Urban Outfitters soundtrack.

They'll eat your baby cat! Peter Z's Avatar
    Last night was one of the worst shows I've seen in recent memory. I'll have a review up on Glide soon, but wow. The Great American Music Hall in SF is a great venue to see a show, but everything about last night was wrong. The sound was awful-- you couldn't hear Jenny at all-- they barely spoke to the audience, the band was WAY too loud, only 2 songs from anything other than the Jenny & Johnny record (unreleased one and The Next Messiah from Acid Tongue), they played for about an hour and then LEFT-- walked off the stage, with a wave, without saying anything, and then the house lights went up. No encore.

What a bust. Wow. I know it's their 3rd show ever, but wow. I have no interest in ever seeing them again. I love love love seeing Jenny solo or with Rilo Kiley, but this was TERRIBLE.

I'm a huge fan of Rilo Kiley, can't really get into Jenny's solo stuff aside from a few songs, but I absolutely love the Jenny & Johnny album.
    When they're calling
    From the edge

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Blah, I'm right there with you. I love Jenny and her voice, but in combination with Johnny's, the whole record sounds like it was made as a boring Urban Outfitters soundtrack.
    well said!

adore

I think it's a fun, summer-y album. I'd rather hear Rilo Kiley than Jenny and Johnny, though.

They cancelled and rescheduled the Sept. 29th Austin show to Nov. 2nd. (did you get that memo, darwin?).

I hope I don't drive all the way down there to see what PeterZ saw, though. I will take some over-ripe tomatoes with me to throw, just in case.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    They've split up

Country-pop band Rilo Kiley have split up, guitarist Blake Sennett has said.

The quartet, who feature Jenny Lewis as their lead singer, were thought to be on hiatus while Sennett recorded as part of The Elected and Lewis worked as part of Jenny and Jonny with her partner Jonathan Rice, but the guitarist has now said they will not be reuniting.

Speaking to Spinner, Sennett explained the reasons for the split: "I just felt like there was a lot of deception, disloyalty, greed and things I don't really want to submit myself to. I had related that frustration to music but I just thought, 'I'm not going to put myself in that position again,' so I said, 'Fuck that, I can't do this anymore.'"

Rilo Kiley released five studio albums over their 13 year career, with the last, 'Under The Blacklight', in 2007. Sennett also spoke dismissively of the album, saying: "I don't think it was our best record by far. I think that it could have been our best but I think we were under pressure. There were some of our best songs on that record but some of our worst songs. We have a ton of old tracks that are better than a lot of the stuff that did make the record."

Sennett has said that he intends to release a compilation of the band's unreleased material, adding: "I think we're going to try and release a two-disc set of 40 songs, or something. I think that can be more considered like our last release, to me."

Why am I not the slightest bit surprised (but still disappointed)?

fulfiller of the mullet prophecy eednic's Avatar

I love Rilo Kiley. I'll admit, their last album was hit or miss with me. I liked some, hated the rest. Rilo Kiley was one of the first concerts Erik and I went to together as a couple. Probably THE first, now that I think about it.

I adore Jenny's solo work and like her work with Johnny. But there was something special about Rilo Kiley, and I will miss them. DAMNIT.

Cindee, don't jump! It'll be ok!!!! They've got a disk worth of unreleased material they'll put out and then maybe get past their greed in a few years time!

I honestly haven't missed Rilo Kiley. They haven't put out an album since Under The Blacklight, right? And Jenny's done what two or three projects since then. I say give it a while, they'll do something again I'm sure. Sounds like they just can't get their shit together right now. I wonder who is being the greedy one. Think it's Jenny because she's the star?