Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Rilo Kiley, Jenny Lewis and related

Both songs are great so far.

As a side note, I have to admit reading the Ryan Adams story in The NY Times made me wonder about Jenny’s relationship with him and whether it will affect the release of the new album at all.

I thought the same thing about Jenny, as well as whatever Liz Phair worked on with him. EDIT: Looks like Liz has commented on Twitter.

Long-time Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyland View Post
    I thought the same thing about Jenny, as well as whatever Liz Phair worked on with him. EDIT: Looks like Liz has commented on Twitter.
    I looked but didn't see anything. Did she delete it? I had read they were recording songs for a double-album in 2017, and there's been no news about it since, so there has to be some story there.

Here’s the tweet (it was a reply):

Jenny tweeted about the situation yesterday too.

Really good interview with Jenny on this podcast called "Kyle Meredith With..."

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/...ng-emo-as-fck/

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Okay I am really loving this album so far!

I'm curious to hear her new record. I'm definitely more of a casual fan than a die-hard, but I was so impressed with her Rabbit Fur Coat concert a few years ago. I love that particular album. The two subsequent records are good-but-not-great for me, though. I don't know what it is that keeps me from completely digging them.

Anyway, I really like "Red Bull and Hennessy." Looking forward to hearing the whole thing soon.

I hope she adds a NYC solo show. She's playing Queens, but only as an opening act for Death Cab for Cutie …

Great new feature article/interview with Jenny from Pitchfork: https://pitchfork.com/features/profi...ine-interview/

And a great interview with AV Club:
    https://music.avclub.com/i-m-speakin...jen-1833232909

The album is out tomorrow..I can’t wait. I’ve seen a couple reviews calling it her best solo album yet.
    Last edited by MikeEP; 03-21-2019 at 09:47 PM.

This album is very lush and realized. The production is pretty flawless. I love it. Every song on it. The weakest songs were the ones she released before the album. Hollywood Lawn, Dogwood, Little White Dove, Taffy, and On the Line are my favorites so far. I may say it’s her best after I’ve had some time with it. Rabbit Fur Coat will always hold a special place in my heart. I’m sure this will be an album of the year pick for me.

Yes, the production and playing are both so gorgeous throughout. I’ve heard her describe the production as “muscular” on songs like Red Bull and I totally hear it.

I was already obsessed with the 3 previously released songs so this is such a treat. And I agree, I do think this will end up being her best solo album yet. Early standouts for me are Dogwood, On the Line, and Little White Dove but I’m really enjoying it all.

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Can we talk for a minute about how freaking cool all her looks for this album are? Specifically referring to the "official audio" stills on YouTube, the album cover, her looks in the PitchFork article, etc.? She be stylin' y'all! So far I really enjoy every song I've heard.

^ yes! I love the tarot card designs that come up for each song on Spotify mobile. I actually think I would’ve preferred one of them or others from the official audio stills as the album cover.

Also, this review from the Atlantic is beautifully written. An excerpt:

Guitar fuzz blurs into the sound of a dial tone that’s sustained for 20 seconds, requiring listeners of the text-message era to, for once, hear and feel and think about what it means to be disconnected. So ends the title track of Jenny Lewis’s On the Line, and the trick says a lot about this terrific album by one of this millennium’s most reliable rock figures.

For one thing, the retro aesthetic of the landline—so familiar, so obsolete—fits the sturdy, big-tent classicism running throughout On the Line. Ringo Starr plays drums on two songs; references to Bob Dylan and the Rolling Stones appear in the lyrics; and the equipment of Frank Sinatra and Carole King was used during the recording process. The music has a proudness—bold rhythms, finely considered melodies, plummy instrumental passages—uncharacteristic of the indie and emo tags that might erroneously remain attached to Lewis from the former child actor’s days in the early 2000s band Rilo Kiley.

The telephone effect also carries forward the song—and the album’s—story. To some man who’s leaving her, “Jolene”-style, Lewis pleads, “Before you let her under your sweater, tonight / listen to my heart beating / … / on the line.” The phrase on the line might be idiomatic—conveying how the stakes feel life-and-death when it comes to love—but it’s also concrete. The receiver is to her chest, and the person on the other end of the line has hung up.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...review/585490/

The title track On the Line is fucking gorgeous. It’s my #1 song on the album at this point. I’ve been playing it like crazy. I really don’t think there’s a weak song on the album though. They all sound so carefully crafted.

It’s really nice to see that the album is getting such stellar reviews across the board. She’s been doing a ton of promo and interviews around it too and it’s great to see so many of them mentioning how influential she and Rilo Kiley were too. This album feels like a major career moment for her, like a culmination and a monument to her craft as a songwriter.
    Last edited by MikeEP; 03-23-2019 at 03:31 PM.