Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Rilo Kiley, Jenny Lewis and related

Sounds about right! There were rumors going around during the last tour that it would be their final one, and then I actually witnessed Jenny and Blake borderline fighting on stage in front of everybody. I thought she was being a total bitch to him just because she knew he wouldn't call her out in front of a crowd, suddenly changing the setlist from songs that it was obvious Blake really wanted to play (I think changing from songs that showcased impressive guitar parts to ones that were more about her vocals) and you could tell he wanted to kill her. He was constantly shooting daggers through the back of her head with his eyes. They came out from the encore and played all the songs she had changed, and they all just looked pissed and over it.

I am sad about it though, because as much as I love their side projects, (the new Elected album is sort of filling the Rilo Kiley spot for me right now) I gravitate much more toward Rilo Kiley's songwriting and style than any of the side projects. And I actually LOVE Under The Blacklight, so I was curious to see what would come next.
    When they're calling
    From the edge

Is Rilo Kiley Working on a New Album?
    Last year, Rilo Kiley announced that after going on hiatus, the group has broken up. But a recent post on the band’s Facebook page has hinted that Rilo Kiley might have something else in the works.

Around noon today, the group’s long dormant Facebook page changed their cover photo to a picture of a notebook with possible new lyrics and a status, which stated the following:

“Record is almost finished, and artwork is nearly done. Going to need your help! More to come”

The record in question could be the compilation that drummer Jason Boesel discussed in an interview with Paste in 2010:

“Rilo Kiley’s working on a compilation of all the songs we never got to put on records over the years. A lot of them are some of my favorite Rilo Kiley songs, so that should actually be a pretty strong release.”

The compilation that Boesel discussed has still not been released.

Whether this is a new release from the reunited band or just a compilation of unreleased material, it’ll be great to hear Rilo Kiley once more.

Ooooh! Exciting!
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

That is the best news I've read in... I don't even know. CANNOT WAIT to see what it is!

aging hipster trash The Seaward's Avatar
    Whatever the album is, I'm sure it will be awesome. I'm actually hoping for the b-sides release! Their b-sides have always been great. I'm with you, Jake! This is the best news I've heard in a while!
    I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

^ It's b-sides!

Rilo Kiley Almost Finished Archival Project, Not Releasing Album of New Material
    In July of last year, Rilo Kiley guitarist Blake Sennett gave an interview with Spinner making a strong suggestion that the band's 2007 record Under the Blacklight, was likely their last. "I just felt like there was a lot of deception, disloyalty, greed and things I don't really want to submit myself to," he said. But he did mention that the group was working on "a two-disc set of 40 songs, or something," which could be "more considered like our last release, to me."

Yesterday, the band posted on Facebook, "Record is almost finished, and artwork is nearly done. Going to need your help! More to come." This caused many to get excited that a new Rilo Kiley album is on the horizon. But that's not the case. We've confirmed that the post was indeed referring to that archival project Sennett hinted at in 2011.

In an interview last year, frontwoman Jenny Lewis said the release is "a collection of B-sides," "just stuff that has been lying around for many, many years." She said the band was "getting a bunch of songs together and old photographs and sifting through the past."
    Can not wait to hear this!
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Jenny is going to be touring with The Postal Service this Spring.

Rilo Kiley to release rarities album ‘RKives’
    The double-disk LP goes by the pun-tastic title RKives (‘archives’, get it?!) and will feature seven new tracks.

The release will come out via Little Record Company on 2 April.

Meanwhile, frontwoman Jenny Lewis is set to head on tour with The Postal Service.

Check the full tracklist below:

1 Let Me Back In (previously unreleased)
    2 It’ll Get You There (previously unreleased)
    3 Runnin’ Around (previously unreleased)
    4 All the Drugs (previously unreleased)
    5 Bury, Bury, Bury Another (previously unreleased)
    6 Well, You Left (previously unreleased)
    7 Draggin’ Around
    8 I Remember You
    9 Dejalo (Zondo remix ft. Too $hort)
    10 A Town Called Luckey
    11 Emotional
    12 American Wife
    13 Patiently
    14 Rest of My Life – Demo (previously unreleased)
    15 About the Moon
    16 The Frug
    Excited for new RK songs!

Awesome! But arrrrrrrrrrrgh how is Big Break not included. I was really assuming we'd finally get it on CD, since it's only on vinyl and some Urban Outfitters compilation CD, as far as I know.

Can't wait to hear the new stuff!

i'm excited that i don't know most of those songs.

surprised not to see Somebody Else's Clothes or Pull Me In Tighter on there.

Yeah all of these songs are brand new to me for the most part, so this is a really exciting release! Definitely will pick up the vinyl.

I just learned yesterday that James of Rilo Kiley had a side project with some folks from other bands (Maroon 5, Phantom Planet, The Like). The band is called JJAMZ, and they released their album 'Suicide Pact' this past summer I highly recommend the album!

But anyway, Jenny Lewis joined the band on stage for a performance of Silver Lining in June. Love this version!

Jason Boesel is in JJAMZ. He also has a solo album which is good. So, does Pierre de Reeder. Everyone in Rilo Kiley released good solo albums. James Valentine is is Maroon 5. JJAMZ video for the song Heartbeat is one of my favorite videos.

aging hipster trash The Seaward's Avatar
    Extremely happy that American Wife made the cut, kinda bummed that early songs like Glendora and 85 were neglected, ELATED that The Frug is there as the closing track. To me, The Frug was where it all began. It's when I fell in love with an unknown band. Fitting that it closes the final chapter on their history.
    I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

sorry to bump this thread without news but thought i'd share this. i fell down a Rilo Kiley/Jenny Lewis YouTube rabbit hole last night and ended up watching a bunch of videos from the solo shows Jenny did late last year in California. i knew she did Silver Lining solo a lot over the years, but didn't realize she was doing Rilo Kiley stuff like I Never, Close Call, and Portions for Foxes too. here's Portion for Foxes at Big Sur with some nice harmonies from the Watson Twins and Jonny:

and then sadly what is only a 14 second video of what looks like a great performance of I Never from her show with Conor Oberst in Ponoma:

the moral of the story is i am SO ready for some Jenny/Rilo Kiley activity in 2013.

^ Thanks for sharing. Portions For Foxes is one of my favourite RK songs!