Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: The DNC Deathwatch Thread

Well, as if today couldn't get more effed up:

The morning after the Oct. 1 mass shooting in Las Vegas, a member of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee’s press staff warned House candidates and their staffs not to “politicize” the shooting that day. Politicization, according to the DCCC official, included talking about gun violence prevention policy.
    And I can somewhat understand it, but it seems a little tone deaf, though.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Oh boy. Bernie's son is like a mega-condensed version of all of Bernie's bad features.

Bernie Sanders’ Son Is Extremely Mad Online
    His enemies include the establishment, the city of Houston and Chobani yogurt.

Lots of examples of him being a pedantic, arrogant douche. And for such a pedant, he has TERRIBLE spelling and grammar. His point-making is so bad one wonders if it's intentional. As someone who went to a rival HS, albeit not at the same time, I'm getting a weird sense of pride.

Rumors always abounded about Bernie's hot son while I was a teen, but I think it was one of his stepsons because it sure doesn't look or sound like this dude.

Trying not to get my hopes up about the Texas midterms:

http://theweek.com/speedreads/759245...in-today-texas

The 2018 midterm elections are off to the races, with the first primaries of the year being held Tuesday in Texas. All eyes are on the Democrats, who are hoping to turn the state purple as part of their nationwide effort to flip the House. The party is running candidates in all of the state's 36 congressional districts for the first time in 25 years, Politico reports.

While the polls officially open at 7 a.m. CST, early voting numbers already indicate an energized Democratic Party, The Texas Tribune writes: "Overall, 370,219 Democrats voted early in [the 10 counties with the highest number of registered voters] compared to 282,928 Republicans … That means Democratic turnout more than doubled from four years ago, while Republican turnout rose less than 15 percent."

The deputy director of Texas Democrats, Manny Garcia, expressed his excitement to The Washington Post: "If Texas votes like it looks, then Democrats win," he said.

I refuse to buy into any of that after what happened in 2016. Overconfidence, especially in polls and in early voting, is going to bite us in the ass if we keep putting so much stock in that. A few days ago someone on twitter wrote, “same old story: Dems win in early voting and republicans come out on Election Day and win.” And that’s exactly how it feels.

I know. It's really tough to maintain a positive view in the face of all this. It's just that it doesn't seem so long ago to an old fart like me to remember when Ann Richards was the governor of the Lone Star State. She was a force to be reckoned with, and I'd just like to think there are other badasses who are willing to step up to the plate like she did.

a succulent Chinese meal lacuna's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    Oh boy. Bernie's son is like a mega-condensed version of all of Bernie's bad features.

Bernie Sanders’ Son Is Extremely Mad Online
    His enemies include the establishment, the city of Houston and Chobani yogurt.

Lots of examples of him being a pedantic, arrogant douche. And for such a pedant, he has TERRIBLE spelling and grammar. His point-making is so bad one wonders if it's intentional. As someone who went to a rival HS, albeit not at the same time, I'm getting a weird sense of pride.

Rumors always abounded about Bernie's hot son while I was a teen, but I think it was one of his stepsons because it sure doesn't look or sound like this dude.
    Damn. What an insufferable shit. Why are his Facebook friends even putting up with him? *eats bacon*

'The world is watching': GOP braces for potential upset in Pennsylvania special election

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/12/polit...ing/index.html

Republicans are in the final hours of their frantic, all-out bid to save a Pennsylvania congressional district in the heart of Trump country from falling into Democratic hands in Tuesday's special election.

Democrat Conor Lamb, a 33-year-old Marine veteran and former prosecutor, holds a slight lead among likely voters over Republican state Rep. Rick Saccone, a Monmouth University poll released on the eve of the 18th District election shows.

It's left the GOP bracing for what would be its most embarrassing -- and ominous -- loss since Donald Trump took office. Republicans have spent more than $10 million to prevent a defeat in the district, which Trump won in 2016 by 20 percentage points.

If Lamb wins, or even comes close, it will be a signal that Republicans are in danger even in districts where Trump was won handily in 2016, and raise Democratic hopes of capturing the House and Senate this fall. The race would also serve as a model for Democrats running in deep-red districts across the country.

"The world is watching," Trump said in an appearance in the district Saturday night, upping the pressure for Saccone to deliver on Tuesday.
    *tents fingers*

50% in; Lamb up at 52%.

With 58% of precincts reporting, Lamb is leading 52% to 47%. NYT still predicts a narrow Saccone win because most of the remaining precincts are heavily GOP. I’d love to see them proven wrong.

I’ve been waiting on the shady GOP election meddling aaaaaaaand here it is.

At 70% and Lamb still at 52%

This clusterfuck reminds me: did Roy Moore ever concede?

87% in

50 Lam
    49 douche

Christ. With 92% of the votes in, they are exactly 1% apart. Most of the precincts that remain are GOP so I don’t see this ending well for Lamb. I’m amazed that it was this close, though. The seat is only for nine months and then it’ll be redrawn to be even more conservative, so in the grand scheme of things it’s not a huge upset I suppose.

95% in 50/50

They paid immensely for this seat if they won. We won't win every fight but if we make them work for every single seat, we can weaken them.

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post

This clusterfuck reminds me: did Roy Moore ever concede?