Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: The DNC Deathwatch Thread

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar

Why is it so hard for Democrats to find a god damn spine? It is infuriating.

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    They continue to allow the goalposts to be moved. They're not even on the field anymore.

And excuse me, Dan Pfeiffer. "Congressional Democrats have spent 2017 proving themselves worthy vessels for the grassroots energy taking over the party." No. People are voting against Republicans for the most party, not enthusiastically voting for Dems.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    It's early. People's anger over taxes could abate in 10.5 months. Voter suppression is an issue. Low turnout. Gerrymandering.

But today I needed a bit of hope. Just a little something that's not horrible

Among registered voters, 56% say they favor a Democrat in their congressional district, while 38% prefer a Republican. That 18-point edge is the widest Democrats have held in CNN polling on the 2018 contests, and the largest at this point in midterm election cycles dating back two decades. The finding follows several other public polls showing large double-digit leads for Democrats on similar questions.
    And clearly the Dems aren't perfect. But it's not about perfect. It's about lesser evils. I HOPE ALL THOSE LEFTY, PURE SOULS WHO COULDN'T VOTE FOR CROOKED HILLARY LEARNED THEIR FUCKING LESSON.

I hope they lose their health coverage and get a substantial tax increase.

I'm pretty sure I will. I'm going to have to hang a sign on the door telling people not to call an ambulance for me if I stroke out on the lawn.

Again, we're really far out, but most of the polls listed in this twitter thread show a GENERIC democrat leading against the incumbent republican. And that was before this tax mess and every other hair-on-fire thing in the last six-twelve weeks.

We can't get complacent, but it feels like sometimes "Oh, why bother. Nothing's going to change." These polling numbers show that it's possible. Maybe likely, maybe not. It's going to be white knuckling till next November, but when I read these numbers, I feel slightly less dead inside for a few minutes.

In a special repeat of the hanging chad fiasco in 2000, Republicans just won the drawing for the Virginia House seat. Obviously they feel that if they can't win an election, they have to steal it.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/04/politi...ing/index.html

In better news however, Doug Jones is sworn in by Mike Pence as his gay son looks on.

(How wonderful is this photo?)

Jones has just hired an African American as his chief of staff, making him the only African American chief of staff for a Senate Democrat.

His son’s face is the face I make at pence

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    In better news however, Doug Jones is sworn in by Mike Pence as his gay son looks on.

(How wonderful is this photo?)

Jones has just hired an African American as his chief of staff, making him the only African American chief of staff for a Senate Democrat.
    AMAZEBALLS PICTURE ON SO MANY LEVELS!!!! Thanks for sharing

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    I don't really know where to put this.

All of these garbage media men who shaped the misogynistic narrative around Hillary enrage me so much. I can't even imagine how different things could have been for her, and the US now, if men who didn't hate women and Hillary specifically so much had been in these powerful positions.

Dems still are ahead in generic November elections. And it jibes well with this

The DNC needs to not take for granted the anti-Trump votes. There is a blue surge against him, but to do our best to erase his legacy and combat his ineptitude, people have to be FOR Democrats, not just AGAINST Republicans. It'd be a real shame if there's a blue wave in November and then it stagnates and flounders and we lose 2020 because we can't get our shit together to prove we're better.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/power...=.6e40a55eaff2

SARASOTA, Fla. — Democrats continued a streak of special election wins with a victory along the Gulf Coast of Florida on Tuesday, the 36th red-to-blue switch in a state legislative race since the 2016 election.

Democrat Margaret Good triumphed by seven points in the Sarasota-based 72nd District, defeating Republican candidate James Buchanan in an area that backed Donald Trump for president in 2016 by more than four points.

The upset is likely to reverberate through the two major parties as they gear up for the midterm election cycle. Although Republicans have been buoyed in recent weeks by the sense that their tax legislation will be popular among voters, and by new polling showing that Trump’s popularity has ticked up, Tuesday’s outcome offers yet another data point that voter enthusiasm lies with Democrats.

“They’re winning elections in places where they shouldn’t be,” said Corey Lewandowski, Trump’s former campaign manager, at a Sunday afternoon rally for the Republican candidate. “We’ve seen them win statehouse seats in Wisconsin. We’ve seen them win big mayor’s races in New Hampshire. Fifty seats have already changed hands, from Republicans to Democrats, since President Trump took office. Make no mistake: The Democrats are unified.”

Well, this is some good news to end sketchy-lawyer-plea day.

I like Matt Yglesias, but he keeps insisting that Trump is going to win in 2020 because the economy isn't bad. And while he might be correct, I think he's ignoring the blue wave. It's true the wave could fade out and electoral shenanigans are clearly in the works regardless of nominees, but I don't think it's as easy as "ok economy means incumbent re-elected." And if this wave continues, we could end up with majority in US congress and Congressional hearings will be lit. I'm not even going so far as to hope for impeachment. I'm not putting the cart before the horse. Give me some hearings in the House with Nancy as Speaker.

Bernie Fucking Sanders weighs in on the Russian interference.

Bernie blames Hillary for allowing Russian interference
    The senator and his top political adviser also denied Mueller's assertion that Russian actors backed his campaign.

By EDWARD-ISAAC DOVERE 02/21/2018 06:45 PM EST Updated 02/21/2018 09:48 PM EST

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...ference-420528

Bernie Sanders on Wednesday blamed Hillary Clinton for not doing more to stop the Russian attack on the last presidential election. Then his 2016 campaign manager, in an interview with POLITICO, said he’s seen no evidence to support special counsel Robert Mueller's assertion in an indictment last week that the Russian operation had backed Sanders' campaign.

The remarks showed Sanders, running for a third term and currently considered a front-runner for the Democratic presidential nomination in 2020, deeply defensive in response to questions posed to him about what was laid out in the indictment. He attempted to thread a response that blasts Donald Trump for refusing to acknowledge that Russians helped his campaign — but then holds himself harmless for a nearly identical denial.

In doing so, Sanders and his former campaign manager, Jeff Weaver, presented a series of self-serving statements that were not accurate, and that track with efforts by Trump and his supporters to undermine the credibility of the Mueller probe.

“The real question to be asked is what was the Clinton campaign [doing about Russian interference]? They had more information about this than we did,” Sanders said in the interview with Vermont Public Radio.

After being contacted by POLITICO about the interview, Sanders issued a lengthy statement calling the Russian involvement a “direct assault on the free democratic systems that stand in contrast to the autocratic, nationalistic kleptocracy of Vladimir Putin and his backers in the Russian oligarchy” which “deserves unconditional condemnation.”
    He said that goes for “any candidate or active opposition to any candidate,” and listed most other candidates and campaigns whose support by Russians was detailed in the indictment — including "my own."

Sanders said that his campaign had shared information with the Clinton campaign about suspected Russian anti-Clinton trolls on a campaign Facebook page. But Weaver later acknowledged that the Vermont senator had no firsthand knowledge that this had happened. Weaver said Sanders based his remark on an article published by NBC’s San Diego affiliate over the weekend about a campaign volunteer who claimed to have conducted his own investigation and brought the findings to the Clinton campaign in September — an assertion flatly denied by a former Clinton campaign aide.

"A guy who was on my staff … checked it out and he went to the Clinton campaign, and he said, ‘You know what? I think these guys are Russians,’” Sanders said. Weaver said Sanders had not verified the information in the article himself before stating it as fact.

The Sanders statement issued late Wednesday attributed to “an aide to Sen. Sanders” added “he was using the word ‘campaign’ expansively to include not only the formal, institutional campaign, but also the broader network of volunteers and supporters of Bernie 2016 across the country.”

Sanders went on to indicate that he was at least vaguely aware of the operation that Mueller detailed in his indictment of 13 Russian nationals last week: “What Mueller reported, he had more specificity than we’d seen before. Not exactly new.”

A former Clinton campaign staffer said it was nonsense that Sanders' campaign had reached out to Clinton's about potential Russian interference. "No one from the Sanders campaign ever contacted us about this” — not in September, and not in “April and May.” Sanders said in the radio interview that he noticed "lots of strange things" during those months in 2016.
    ^ There's more. I'm too pissed right now to finish copying and pasting it.