Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The DNC Deathwatch Thread

I think it’s fair to point it out.

Something else to note is that she accepted Franken’s apology, which may dampen some of the outrage. Maybe he keeps his seat but doesn’t run again. Who knows. But she certainly didn’t have to accept his apology, especially if she wanted to drag it out on Fox News.

The only thing that gave me pause is that Roger Stone tweeted about Franken’s turn being next... last night. So he knew she was coming forward, which means she’d told people in the Hannity/Stone/Fox circle that it was coming. It smells a lot like distraction from Moore. But still, if Franken did kiss her without her consent, it’s on him. Don’t give them ammunition and they can’t use it against you. This is still his fault. I saw the picture and while stupid (it looks like he’s mock groping her, which is childish and pig-headed but not actual assault) it’s still a bad look and he shouldn’t have done it.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Oh was it Roger Stone, not Carter Page? I get all these generic white name dudes confused. Not their pictures, but their frat boy names. It's a fucking blur, this last year.

Yes, it was Roger Stone, speaking in the third person from one of his alternate accounts because his personal Twitter account was banned. I've read the woman is a frequent guest on Hannity, so I'm sure the right-wing media machine has been preparing this for a few days now. Remember, Stone is also the one who just happened to know Wikileaks was going to be dumping emails before they did. He's a piece of garbage.

But again, this wouldn't be happening if Franken didn't act like an ass to the woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

But again, this wouldn't be happening if Franken didn't act like an ass to the woman.
    Oh I agree. But because of the birther thing, how much of an ass? She's VERY believable telling the story. But birthers by definition lie. The angel and devil on my shoulders are screaming at each other.

I'm trying not to be an asshole cis white man, but I can't help but see a difference between a stupid posed picture with an adult woman versus a serial rapist who's actively groping/raping/physically assaulting multiple women or girls. I can find a ton of pictures of myself pretending to grab friends' asses and stuff from my 20s. Anyone could come back and say that was me harassing them even if it clearly wasn't at the time.

*sigh* But just because she's a nutjob birther Hannity stan doesn't mean she isn't making a valid point. Is the kiss part true? Who knows. Franken says he doesn't remember it that way. I'm willing to believe that he may have made her uncomfortable and he's in the wrong for that.

How long before the floodgates open about other members of the House and Senate? I read some whispers today about large settlements/pay-outs to protect some members who are still serving, and people were questioning if and when those stories would drop.

Yes, apparently Congress is awash in pigs. I think one of the reasons that the Senate isn't making more of a stink about this, is part fear of their own harassment skeletons coming out of the closet. What will happen is that Congress will come up with some rule going forward about inappropriate behavior and call it a day. Otherwise half of the members of congress will be going through what Franken is currently going through.

Alt-right/GamerGate troll Mike Cernovich says a Congressman will have a bad day tomorrow and Roger Stone hints a lot of Democrats are about to face something similar to Franken, so it’s definitely starting to look more like a coordinated effort on the right to deflect away from the behavior of people like Moore and Trump by dragging Dems through the mud. This is what I meant about not playing fair from my earlier post. Get ready for their push to stop the blue wave in 2018 by any means necessary.

One of the only bright spots in this is that Trump CANNOT comment on any of it. Can you imagine how he feels sitting on his toilet this morning not able to attack Franken? He can't attack Franken without attacking Moore and he can't attack or support him or Franken without opening his own flood gates.

The urge is building. If another one comes out today, he won't be able to help himself. And then it becomes about him. He is incapable of letting other people be the story and he'll insert himself into it even if it is the worst thing he could do.

Cherry on top is watching Sarah Huckabee Sanders pretzel herself with all her lies. It warms my heart to imagine the spectacularly bad week she's having.

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post

The urge is building. If another one comes out today, he won't be able to help himself. And then it becomes about him. He is incapable of letting other people be the story and he'll insert himself into it even if it is the worst thing he could do.
    I went for a walk and this happened

I don't feel like I'm right so often on him because I'm smart but more like I'm right because I have a lot of experience with toddlers and narcissistic adults.

eta: I guess this happened last night, not this morning, but I hadn't seen it when it came out so it was new to me this morning and wasn't in my face when I first woke up

Insert something clever here iamstilljamiepoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    The only thing that gave me pause is that Roger Stone tweeted about Franken’s turn being next... last night. So he knew she was coming forward, which means she’d told people in the Hannity/Stone/Fox circle that it was coming. It smells a lot like distraction from Moore. But still, if Franken did kiss her without her consent, it’s on him. Don’t give them ammunition and they can’t use it against you. This is still his fault. I saw the picture and while stupid (it looks like he’s mock groping her, which is childish and pig-headed but not actual assault) it’s still a bad look and he shouldn’t have done it.
    This is how I feel about it. I catch myself questioning her timing. What Franken did is gross, to be sure. I want to also make it clear that it's not fucking okay. Being...who she is in terms of a conservative makes me wonder what her motive was. Maybe that's wrong of me. I can own that.

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    ^ The thing is, they use that exact same argument when women come forward about Republicans, and they're doing it about Moore's accusers as we speak. She accepted his apology and said she doesn't want him to step down. That doesn't seem like someone just trying to do a hit job.

One could (and Republicans ARE) ask the same question about why Moore's accusers are coming forward now and not when he was on the AL Supreme Court, or before then. Or when more women came forward about Trump toward the election. The timing doesn't seem odd to me. We're having A Moment of people coming forward and exposing men for doing awful things.

It also gives into the perfect/ideal victim narrative people try to push.

Insert something clever here iamstilljamiepoo's Avatar
    ^
    You ain't wrong. It's one of those things where I have to check myself, for sure.

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    It's hard because everything is so lopsided with how the left and right react to these things. It is really hard not to just throw out the rulebook and follow their lead since they're winning and everything feels hopeless. We have the Predator in Chief talking about how awful Franken is for sticking his tongue down a woman's throat and miming grabbing her breasts while sleeping (WHICH IS AWFUL!), while he admits to doing worse on tape, is accused of raping a 13-year-old and his ex wife, and assaulting a number of women. And that's just the new norm! He does this with no sense of irony. Meanwhile, I still don't think he's commented on Moore and asked him to drop out after assaulting how many teen girls now?

ETA: This opinion piece in the WP is... god my gut reaction is to scream "this is wrong", but in reality, it's seems like the maybe the best path forward.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ken-to-resign/

But in a sharply divided political climate where toxic masculinity knows no party, yet is only ever acknowledged by one, we must think about how to minimize harm to women. One more empty apology and resignation, one more head on a pike, will not make American women safer or better off. Powerful men lifting up women’s concerns and supporting progressive women candidates, however, could be a real step toward changing the culture that makes victims of so many of us.
    Last edited by just owls; 11-17-2017 at 03:35 PM.

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by just owls View Post
    It's hard because everything is so lopsided with how the left and right react to these things.
    So much this. I think psychologically, it's easier for me to display some cognitive dissonance in instances like the Franken thing because I think he knows it's wrong. Turds like more and Trump feel no regret or empathy for their victims, so I definitely feel more rage the longer they protest their innocence.

And I 100% agree with you on the timing. I have zero issue with any women choosing now to bring light to whatever happened, whenever it happened. The floodgates have been opened.