Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: The DNC Deathwatch Thread

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    I'd love for Joe to come out and say "See how easy it is to goad him?"

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    There are two weird stories happening that I can't quite tell exactly what is going on.

First, someone is writing a book about the Hillary campaign and it has several passages about Chelsea. Chelsea keeps calling out the author for not fact-checking it, that the things in it aren't accurate. Like literally one of the stupid things is if she had a keratin treatment on her hair. Chelsea says she's never had one, the author said she did.

People are chiming in on the author's side. Someone chimed in with how the fact checker worked great for him/her, but Chelsea's like "Fine, but s/he never contacted *me* and this stuff is incorrect." And person after person is attacking Chelsea and she very politely writes "Hi, that's not what happened." And then someone else comes out and gets mad at her for talking to THAT person, lather, rinse, repeat. Here's an example:

It's so weird.

The thing going on is that I guess someone dug up a bunch of posts on a blog by Joy Reid that are really homo/transphobic. She's saying she didn't write them. Some analysis says they're authentic, some analysis says they can't be proven to be *hers* and that the style of writing doesn't match hers and the timestamps are not times she would have been posting. I guess she got in trouble for some other stuff she said YEARS ago not too long ago and owned it and apologized. So why wouldn't she do that now if it was her? These posts are from ages and ages ago and while it sucks if she did say them, apologizing and showing how she's changed and learned is something we need to accept. Because she's a liberal black woman, she gets it from alllllllll sides for one reason or another. The Bernie Bros hate her, the MAGAers hate her.

And I don't know what to believe. A lot of the stuff being written about it are by people who I guess have hated her for years. Does that make them less right? Should I trust my own personal instinct about her? That it feels ... it feels like it's not as it appears so I should just ignore it?

The two stories are really bugging me because I can't tell what the objective truth is and it's pitting people I might normally agree with against each other.

Katy Tur, who I follow on Twitter, posted this yesterday.

She got this response.

She also got more responses to the tweet. Over THREE THOUSAND responses. Each one nastier and more personal than the next.

Maybe Katy was wrong. She didn’t deserve that.

I really like and respect Katy. I feel like responding to all that.

I don’t dare.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

When I saw that Tur post, I was like "Oh, that was shitty but mild." And by shitty, I mean "why is she jumping in this fight?" So of course she shouldn't have gotten heaps of shit for it, but should Chelsea have just not called her out for being misinformed? I'm so confused about all this. I don't know why people are defending the writer if she didn't do her job properly... do they know something we don't? Or is it knee-jerk Clinton hatred? Loyalty to your writer friends is great, but it doesn't mean they didn't fuck up.

And maybe they didn't fuck up and Chelsea is leading a bot army because she doesn't want people to know she treats her hair or fed her baby?

It just doesn't make sense AT ALL.

I have no problem with Chelsea’s response. Neither did Katy; she responded to Chelsea thusly.

No, I was pissed off by the three thousand nasty personal attacks. OK, not all were nasty, but many if not most were. Just because you disagree with someone is not a reason to question her character.

Or maybe I’m just too sensitive. This was a weird fucking day.

No, it was totally weird. Ana Marie Cox jumped in too and others. It's weird all around. If you jump in to defend the author and fact checker, you're basically accusing Chelsea of lying. So why would anyone do that? Just stay quiet! (Not us but Public Figures on Twitter.) There's going to be no winner in this fight. Lines will be Drawn. Sides will be Taken. Even if one person is 100% in the right (the fact checker never called Chelsea or Chelsea made the whole thing up) it's getting weirdly ugly. And like I'm glad Tur was like "Fair point" and corrected her course. That was really great of her... but it would have been muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch better had she shut her mouth or phrased things better. Everyone wants to be Objective Journalist so bad that they blinding attack the Clintons, imo.

And I know I've said this before somewhere here but that's a bad thing too because now I don't believe anything anyone says about them because it's ALWAYS the boy who cried wolf. They're not perfect by any means, but the hate they get is disproportionate to me and so much of it is based on OPINIONS and not FACTS. They're easy targets so everyone gets a swipe in to establish their Independent Mind Cred.

They're not above reproach but I just hate the pile on. We are eating our own. And Chelsea is so consistently polite. Why drag her just because you might be mad at her parents?

It's weirder today. That Moore lady (who is not the author of the book. Just someone who came at Chelsea because people allegedly attacked the author) is complaining to @jack

As someone pointed out, she seemed to just realize hashtags exist today but still isn't quite sure how they work. And she locked down her twitter account to approved followers only. For extra hilarity, it says "Digital media advisor."

Oh sweetie, I hope your resume has better skills than that on it. Don't jump in a fight that's not yours, don't jump in a fight on the wrong side, don't make a mild fight into something bigger by doing those two previous things, and don't whine to @jack about people tweeting at you unless they're actually harassing you and threatening you. Calling you a dumb fuck is wholly deserved.

Like at any point, just say "My bad, I misread the situation. Sorry Chelsea." It makes it go away. Acting like some maligned innocent target of coordinated harassment is ridiculous, especially for a "digital media advisor."

And if it turns out that somehow Chelsea's been lying this whole time and she was fact checked and is playing games and did sic a robot army onto the dedicated truth tellers, I'M NOT GOING TO BELIEVE IT BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T ACT LIKE A GROWN UP.

Fuck Bernie

According to campaign spokesperson Arianna Jones, Sanders plans to seek the Democratic nomination in Vermont’s August primary. If he wins, she said, he would “respectfully” decline the nomination and run as an independent in the general election. Sanders would, however, accept the endorsement of the Vermont Democratic Party.

“That is what he has done in the past, and that is what he looks forward to happening in 2018,” Jones said, referring to Sanders’ 2006 and 2012 Senate runs.
    I didn't realize this is what he did in other years. He makes sure there is no challenger on the left and then just has to defeat the person on the right. And sure, Bernie is a million times better than even a Jeffords VT Republican, but it just shows again and again how he uses the Dems to further his OWN agenda and doesn't support the party. It's great that he caucuses with them and his vote is important, but it's all about him.

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    He needs to retire and go away.

Here we fucking go again.

I was reading a bit yesterday about Our Revolution and Nina Turner who - no surprise - is accused of using the organization to fuel her own political ambitions. This part sounded very "Nina" to me.

In a conference call two weeks ago, the board’s executive committee overruled Turner’s attempt to install her consultant and friend Tezlyn Figaro as the group’s chief of staff, according to people on the call. Not only had Turner sprung the decision on the board, but Figaro had no experience building a political organization.

Board members flagged Figaro’s frequent appearances on Fox News praising Trump. She has said on the network as recently as the end of April that the president’s critics mostly don’t like that he’s shaking up the system. And last year she said immigrants are “coming into the country and getting benefits that Americans do not get,” and getting away with crimes while African-Americans go to prison.
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...ts-2018-599331

Nina Turner sets off my bullshit detector.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    Thank goodness they aren't focusing that energy and money on backing progressive Democrats!

Don't get complacent for November and beyond. Don't think they won't try to cheat or fight super dirty (ie McConnell canceling summer recess so people can't go and campaign, hopefully (in his mind) fucking over Dems). But as election results roll in tonight, at least it won't be all horrible news.

Democratic candidate Lauren Arthur won a special election for a formerly GOP-held Missouri state Senate seat Tuesday night by a 20-point margin.

That’s the 42nd state legislative seat Democrats have flipped since Donald Trump’s inauguration, and though that only slightly reverses Democrats’ massive down-ballot losses during the Obama administration, it’s a pretty solid downpayment considering that few seats have been up so far.

Both Donald Trump and Mitt Romney won this seat by a four-point margin, so the Democratic victory amounts to a 24-point improvement on their presidential candidates’ performances in 2016 and 2012.

It looks like (right now, at least) that there were no Dem lockouts on California's fucked up primary system. That means there will be a democrat in every house election in November. CA, get your shit together.

This is a good start

And Alabama is continuing to be an electoral surprise and doing a great job of rehab-ing its image

And New Mexico's Dem house nominee is both a gun control advocate and a native american woman (the first to be elected to congress, should she win).