Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ANOHNI / Antony and the Johnsons

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar

ANOHNI / Antony and the Johnsons

I don't think we have a thread for Antony yet, so I am making one! He has definitely become one of my favorites over the years. Here is some news:

Antony and the Johnsons will release their five track EP “Thank You For Your Love” on August 24th via Secretly Canadian. The title-track is the lead single from the forthcoming album “Swanlights” also being released by Rough Trade on October 11th and Secretly Canadian on October 12. The album is now available for pre-order including bundles consisting of the full length CD and EP, vinyl LP and EP, and book with CD and EP will be available for sale on August 4th. Those who purchase the bundles will instantly receive an advance download of the EP. The pre-order is up here.

Artwork for the EP features photographs Antony took when he first arrived in NYC as a teenager in the early 90’s.

1 - Thank You For Your Love
    2 - You Are The Treasure
    3 - My Lord My Love
    4 - Pressing On
    5 - Imagine
    I already preordered the LP so I have gave a listen to the EP the other day. I like most of it a lot. However, I am so not feeling the Imagine cover. I don't understand why he decided to cover it. There are enough covers of Imagine out there already.

Also- I love how they chose to release this EP. It kind of came of nowhere.

I agree with you about the "Imagine" cover; he could've done a lot more with it. I like the rest of the EP, though, and can't wait for Swanlights!

I love Antony and the new EP is a nice way to hold fans over until the new record. I couldn't help but sense a religious thread running through it especially with My Lord, My Love and Pressing On. However that could just be because of placement.

From what I've read about it, Swanlights will be a stylistic departure from his past work, but from Thank You For Your Love, it doesn't sound that way. And I know judging a whole album on one track isn't fair, but TYFYL could have come from any of the Antony and the Johnsons albums. Gorgeous, yes. But not really what I was expecting.

streak his blood across my beak PoorMatty's Avatar
    I've only heard "Thank You For Your Love," but I kind of hated it, and I normally like most of Antony's stuff. I don't even really know how to put into words why I hated it, but I did. I guess I just thought it was kind of pointless? Just a guy singing, "Thank you for your love," increasingly passionately, over a pretty uninteresting arrangement. It annoyed me. I should listen to the rest of the EP, but a cover of "Imagine" sure is sounding irritating as well.

I didn't care for the Another World EP, either, so maybe when the full Swanlights album comes out, I will like it as much as I liked The Crying Light. I Am a Bird Now is still my favorite though.

I read somewhere that "Thank You For Your Love" sounds like an Antony and the Johnsons parody, and I'd have to agree. Haven't listened to the rest yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyland View Post
    I read somewhere that "Thank You For Your Love" sounds like an Antony and the Johnsons parody, and I'd have to agree. Haven't listened to the rest yet.
    I completely disagree. I think some of his stuff gets really boring, and this track is awesome. Definetly keeps my interest. I am a bird Now is one of my favorite albums of all time, but I must say the new LP, Swanlights is the best yet IMO, just heard an advance.

The duet with Bjork is BEYOND beautiful. Its way better than those lackluster duets on Volta.

Quote Originally Posted by scottslean View Post
    but I must say the new LP, Swanlights is the best yet IMO, just heard an advance.

The duet with Bjork is BEYOND beautiful. Its way better than those lackluster duets on Volta.
    Ahhh! This is awesome news. Can you shed any more light on the new album?

Video for "Thank You For Your Love":

Footage that Antony shot when he first arrived in NY. Very cool to see him in the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by scottslean View Post
    I could only listen to the first few songs of Volta but I love Dull Flame - probably in my top 5 Bjork songs.

Fltta is nothing like it or anything I expected. The melody and especially the piano is stunning I do agree.

I am so not disappointed; the title track is absolutely amazing.

I am loving the album a lot right now , there's so many amazing moments .
    Fletta and Christina's Farm are currently my favorite but everything is just beautiful

ah! i had no idea this leaked!

ETA-
    Gave it two listens today. Gorgeous as I have come to expect from Antony. So far I'm loving all the tracks. And I'm really enjoying the way the piano is being used on this album. Also, it is great to hear studio versions of some of the songs he played when I saw him on his previous tour. So far the stand out for me is the title track. It gives me goosebumps.

It is so exciting to be into a musician who is in their prime. I love it when Antony releases new material, because it is always my expectation that with every new release, he is going to put out an amazing album that will fascinate me and end up high on my AOTY list. He has yet to disappoint. It is kind of how I felt about Tori & Bjork back in the day. It is so nice to be in sync with an artist's stride. /end fanboy rant.
    Last edited by .chris; 09-16-2010 at 01:08 AM.

Denn alles Fleisch, es ist wie Gras Malike-pakile's Avatar
    Falling in love.Again.

wow. this album reminds me of I am a Bird Now, in a very very good way.

I'm not that familiar with it yet but I have to echo whoever said that the piano work here is his best yet. It's way more visceral than I expected.

Not exactly the departure that I was lead to believe it was, but he sounds very self-assured and confident on this album. Definitely a welcome change in my books.