Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ANOHNI / Antony and the Johnsons

I can never remember what "Ghost" sounds like after listening to it, for some reason. Everything else, though, is lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by hex object View Post
    Not exactly the departure that I was lead to believe it was.
    yeah, i don't sense a departure on this album either. it's like when Tori said she was jumping ship and she had barely swam an inch away.

that being said, i am really enjoying it. i think Fletta, Christina's Farm and Swanlights are favorites at first several listens. The Great White Oceans sounds very familiar but i cant seem to place it.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    I've only just gotten Swanlights, and I've not really had a chance to listen to it much, but via that MTF thread about the Metropole Orchestra I came across videos of Antony performing live with them, and there are some gorgeous versions of the songs.

videos spoilered

There are more up on youtube too. The arrangements are really beautiful...

Also, awesome photo:
    spoilered cause it's a little big

^
    Thanks for posting those!
    Cripple and Crazy in Love are fantastic!
    Have not watched the others yet.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    There's a fair few more on youtube, but those are the ones I watched and loved

aging hipster trash The Seaward's Avatar
    "The Cripple & The Starfish"... wow.

this is the first i've heard of the orchestra's work. really gorgeous stuff. of course, antony's songs lend well to orchestral versions anyway. i really hope tori doesn't botch things (as she's prone to do) by selecting shit songs. with antony's repertoire, they really couldn't go wrong.

thanks for posting the clips, ebby. i can't wait to watch the rest of them tonight.
    I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

I was watching these too when I youtubed Metropole Orchestra the other day...beautiful!

Watching those really just got me excited about this orchestra Tori gig that's about to happen later this week!

Thumbs up

good remider, this will get me through the crappy journey home through the tube strike!

My standout tracks are Swanlights and Christina's Farm (I'm wondering now if he did this at the Barbican and I forgot). I'm still quietly optimistic about Tori's show as I've never been to a show and hated it]

The Bjork duet was at first a highlight but for some reason I'm skipping it, perhaps in a hurry to get to the last song. I'm thinking about merging the two Lights (Swan and Crying) and arangng them in a new way - any suggestions? Would you include anything from the EPs?

Wow. He's an amazing performer and vocalist and I love his music, but he looks like he's having a stroke on stage.

I still love his performance of Aeon on David Letterman:

SWANLIGHTS is now available in its entirety on NPR's First Listen until the date of the album's release.

antony takes over Guardian's music page for a week starting today.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesi...nsons-takeover

so far, there is a piece about him and marina on there. he is collaborating with Marina Abramovic on a play/opera about Marina's life. i couldn't possibly be more excited and pleased about that. they are the two artists that excite me the most, three if we count Björk. so to hear that they met at a Björk party where "Matthew Barney was grilling fish on the lawn" made me have quite a hysterical moment of jealousy, i'll admit!

^The news that he's working with Marina is incredibly exciting. I hope the opera is filmed and released in some form, it sounds like a great project.

I saw Marina at the NYC MOMA back in April!