Page 117 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118 LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,755 of 1768

Thread: Alanis Morissette

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    I feel these are all kind of useless without actually seeing what's going on on stage. They're not meant to be listened to in isolation - musical theatre songs are meant to be staged. Some transcend that afterwards - there's so many musical songs I wasn't a fan of until I saw the show, then it clicked, and I know what's being delivered in the song in the context of the show.

These just sound like music class covers for an end of year show. Without the visual it's bit lacking...

Some gorgeous harmonies in there though - so that's positive. It could be really powerful in the staging, except I don't like that key change moment...
    For me, one of my favorite things to do is listen to a great musical's cast recording. I definitely agree that shows are meant to be seen, experienced live, but it's no excuse for a cast recording to sound like Amy Grant Karaoke.

That being said, I doubt these are going to be the versions on a cast recording. These are probably quick takes, meant for publicity.

girlfriend, you are so on Octopussy's Avatar
    Last edited by Octopussy; 05-07-2019 at 06:14 PM.

Alanis gave birth to her third child, a son named Winter Mercy on August 8. (Instagram)

Alanis is touring (again) Jagged Little Pill, this time to celebrate its 25th anniversary. She'll be touring with Liz Phair and Garbage, which is a dream.
    There's also a new song... and... yeah... it is better than the last stuff she'd been releasing, but that's not that hard.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

I was excited until I saw no NYC date But we usually get everything so I probably can't complain too much

And Jagged Little Pill The Musical is on Spotify!
    It really sounds like a Glee episode, but there's a couple of brand new songs that I'd like to hear by Alanis.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I was excited until I saw no NYC date But we usually get everything so I probably can't complain too much
    I suppose Jones Beach counts as the New York market? Definitely not as convenient though.

Looks like a lot of these places are the same amphitheaters she played with Tori back in the day: Jones Beach, Camden, Merriweather Post Pavilion, etc.
    Last edited by Andyland; 12-03-2019 at 03:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyland View Post
    I suppose Jones Beach counts as the New York market? Definitely not as convenient though.
    Yeah I'm considering that one but bus + LIRR + train at midnight? Not sure how that one's gonna go; I'm old lol. I finally heard a clip of the new tune; it's probably on par with the most listenable stuff from HABL but nothing near her best (I only heard a 30 second clip though). Still hopeful the album will be a step up - it's not like I loved Underneath but I do love FoE.

I listened to SFIJ on a run the other day; I can't get over how brilliant and frankly rather brave that album was. It's nothing like the JLP sequel people were probably clamoring for. Even something like Can't Not - which blended with the older tunes when she debuted it while touring JLP - ended up with less traditionally "angry", more ominous production on the album. I love every song on that wacky 18 song opus. And The Couch will always be her most underrated song.

New album, Such Pretty Forks in the Road, out May 1.

I don't even remember the first single from Havoc and Bright Lights (Warrior? Or something?), but this is miles better.
    Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble

I like it, but it's really reminding me of something I can't quite put my finger on...maybe Leave Me To Love by Imogen Heap?

Or maybe this:

Last edited by Andyland; 12-04-2019 at 12:27 AM.

I'm kinda obsessed with the new song. The piano feels a little bit Sara Bairelles-y in the beginning, but I love the chorus.
    I will be safe in my frame.

It's definitely growing on me, and I'm getting stoked for the new album, but I could still do without all the multi-tracked vocals. Her voice itself sounds great - I just wish it was further up in the mix and that the chorus didn't lean so heavily on the "20 Alanises" sound. It's pretty damn catchy though! Curious to hear what the deeper cuts sound like.

Quote Originally Posted by tolotti_ View Post
    The piano feels a little bit Sara Bairelles-y in the beginning
    Yes! Or any Maroon 5 track.
    post28!

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wout View Post
    Yes! Or any Maroon 5 track.
    SHADE
    lol
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    I wonder if Alanis is playing piano on the track?
    May 1. Geeze. That's like Tori Amos length release date notification.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.