Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple Rumors!

Lightbulb Apple Rumors!

Next week, on September 1st, Steve Jobs and the team at Apple are reportedly making a HUGE announcement in San Francisco. No one knows for sure what the announcement might be about, but there are 3 strong rumors:

1. Apple is instituting a new "cloud-based music service" that will allow you to stream music wirelessly from your Apple devices.

2. A brand new iPod that will make the iPod touch look like a Walkman.

3. A new, sleeker AppleTV, with more storage and easier functionality.

Screw the TV. The iPod is in need of an upgrade. I hope it's both the new iPod AND the cloud-based music service.

Yeah I could care less about AppleTV or cloud computing but I've been looking for a reason to re-invest in an iPod since my 5th gen video iPod died (Well me prying it open and breaking the screen didn't help but the battery was screwed anyway).

Though I don't know how you could improve the iPod touch besides increasing the memory or processing power. A 60GB or 80GB iPod Touch with snappier processing would be cool but I can't even imagine what the starting price would be.

EDIT: If Apple would just release one product that sacrifices aesthetics for a huge, powerful battery that lasts 3x as long as their normal batteries I would totally go back to them. I'd gladly shell out the money if I knew I was getting something of true quality and not just something that's pretty.
    Last edited by SageBrushFire; 08-27-2010 at 05:35 PM.

I never understood the appeal of apple-tv in the first place.
    post28!

In the garden of your mind. Tellurium's Avatar
    Does anyone know anyone who actually uses Apple TV? Honestly?

The cloud-based (seriously?) music service does sound kind of cool though. I agree that any improvements to the iPod touch are likely to raise prices way disproportionately to how much they enhance the average users experience, so I guess the cloud one is the one I'm hoping for.

flayed on the marble stairs
    I don't even see how you could really improve the iPod touch aside from the size and performance aspect, and I don't think that'd be enough to lure other people into getting one. I do need a new one desperately; however, so I'd probably wind up purchasing one. Decisions. The Apple TV doesn't sound like a big thing to make a fuss about, so I figure it's the cloud-based music service. I guess we shall see!

^Yeah I'm guessing that's it too which is depressing because I'm really not into all this cloud based crap. It's completely useless. The price of computer components is so incredibly low now days and the performance to program-requirement ratio is so insanely disproportionate it's not funny. There's no reason to have other computers do the processing or store the files for you; I can't help but think it's just a way of being able to better control people's computer habits.

Of course I don't know exactly what the OP means by "cloud-based music service," they could be talking about something totally different.

Maybe none of those rumors are true, maybe they have something significant to announce :P

Quote Originally Posted by Tellurium View Post
    Does anyone know anyone who actually uses Apple TV? Honestly?
    Me! I have one and I use the shit out of it! I download and rent movies on it on a weekly basis.

Aside from the initial cost, is it expensive to use?

A lot of new LCD and Plasma TV's are coming with features like wireless connection to youtube, hulu, netflix and other video content providers. I think stuff like that (and the dramatic increase in available internet speeds) will pretty much make AppleTV and similar devices obsolete. Of course that kind of plays into the whole "cloud computing, content is hosted instead of owned" thing but I don't think it's a big deal for movies; I'm absolutely in love with the convenience of Netflix streaming, I saved well over $150 by being able to watch Doctor Who online instead of ordering DVD sets. (And It's not like I'm going to watch the whole series again, I'm not that type of person, so if they take them down it won't hurt my feelings).

But yeah, I can't imagine AppleTV going anywhere if companies eventually start making TV's that have all the same functionality built in. It wouldn't surprise me to see HDTV's with Solid State Hard Drives built in either for buying/downloading movies (I guess on a big TV you could use a small HDD or a regular HDD but they're a bit loud and hot).
    Last edited by SageBrushFire; 08-28-2010 at 11:12 AM.

an affordable (flash drive) ipod with over 32 GB is what I want....

Quote Originally Posted by pan View Post
    an affordable (flash drive) ipod with over 32 GB is what I want....
    I have a cheapo little MP3 player from Big Logs and it lets you use MicroSD Cards up to 8GB. I think that's a pretty nifty feature. It would be awesome if they added that because MicroSD cards between 2 and 8GB are really cheap right now. Personally I think you could use it as a way of further organizing your music by having certain genres or artists on different cards. Then you still have all your music but you don't have a crapload on all at once and have to sort through it.

The iPod's menu is pretty good though; it's not hard to find the song you want. At least the option of an SD card would allow you to expand your memory without having to wait for the next generation (then again maybe they don't want that... )

All I really want in the iPod Touch is the iPhone 4, minus the phone, complete with both cameras.

Apple TV running iOS built into a half decent television with a watered down ipod touch style remote bundled in..... now that would sell if it was the right price, even if that was a good hundred dollars above existing TVs
    GSV Tarendai

Pretty soon they're gonna put the iPod nano inside the headphones.