Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fashion News

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    Granted it's for a limited time, but for the general welfare and safety of the public people need to calm down!
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

I'm not gonna lose myself again
    I stopped by last night after work and saw lots of empty shelves. It doesn't look like my store got a lot though, either -- maybe a half dozen racks of clothing, and houseware and beauty items were just on endcaps sprinkled throughout the store. I was expecting more volume of product. I ended up coming away empty handed.

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    I'm not hoping for anything much and I have seen nothing aside from the commercial, so it's not like I had my heart set on any particular item. Really I'm going to Target because I need cat litter, if there is anything left, that's just a bonus.
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.

I really want one of the black cardigans with the white wavy stripes.

authentic hotdog cart vendor Frangipani's Avatar
    i pretty much want to get this whole look
    Slippin' on my red dress, putting on my make-up

Quote Originally Posted by Churumbela View Post
    I'm not hoping for anything much and I have seen nothing aside from the commercial, so it's not like I had my heart set on any particular item. Really I'm going to Target because I need cat litter, if there is anything left, that's just a bonus.
    Going to Target for cat litter is my downfall! I can never escape with just the litter.

The Missoni stuff doesn't really interest me too much. The blue maxi dress is kind of pretty, but I don't know if I want to do a maxi in fall. The black heels are also cute.

Never been in this forum before but it seems like the mos appropriate place to post:

H&M launch The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo clothing range
    The Swedish high street store will launch designs by Trish Summerville, costume designer on David Fincher's version of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. But what would Lisbeth Salander say?

Lisbeth Salander is many things. A heroine, a techno-whizz, a hard nut with a soft centre, and, yes, the fictional character at the centre of Stieg Larsson's hugely successful Millennium Trilogy. But fashionista? Considering Larsson went out of his way to portray Salander as a goth-punk styled sartorial rebel, we're surprised to see H&M have produced an entire clothing line in her honour.

"Salander's look is very real and very lived in, with pieces that her character has worn for a long time," said Trish Summerville, costume designer on the latest version of The Girl With a Dragon Tattoo and the designer behind H&M's new range. "I wanted the collection to have the essence and strength of Salander, with a fashion edge, and I'm pleased with the result! My goal is for women to find pieces in it that they love and then mix them with their own wardrobe to create their own personal style."

Since their publication in the mid-2000s, The Girl... books (also known as the Millennium Trilogy) have made the late Larsson one of the most successful novelists in the world. Clearly, H&M have spotted a niche and gone for it. The range isn't available until December 14 (a week before the film is released) so all we have to go on is the picture above. Hard to think a high street collection stems back to a book originally called Men Who Hate Women.
    I'm no expert on fashion but I am pretty sure Lisbeth wouldn't be amused.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Wow. That's…kinda fucked up.

I think it's cool! I reallllly want that black jeans jacket with the faux leather sleeves.

I got invited to a Jeremy Scott party tonight!! I am so excited!!!! ( hope there are gift bags )

I don't get it. The clothing is far from being sexually provocative.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Queen Up In Pumps View Post
    I don't get it. The clothing is far from being sexually provocative.
    That's not it, though. The blogger's argument is that H&M is glamorizing Lisbeth's "style," glossing over the fact that her "style" was developed (and in response to) being raped and abused.

But Lisbeth's style is developed from a number of influences-- ethnic, outsider, rape
    . It's a mash-up of wearable gothic street punk looks. I'm not dissing the blogger though; she seems to have had a visceral reaction to the H & M campaign due to her experiences, and I really can't argue with that. I'm just having a hard time looking at the clothing and seeing "rape," because to my mind that's not the character's defining feature.
    Last edited by Banjee; 12-21-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Yeah, I don't see how it glamourizes rape. I see it as toned-down, high-street goth chic. If you took away the 'Dragon Tattoo' label, that's what everyone would see it as. There's nothing THAT extraordinary in the collection and certainly nothing that mocks or glamourizes abuse. I see how some would be uncomfortable with the idea of a collection based on the film, but Lisabeth's style is quite eye-catching in the movies, above anyone else's. Honestly, it's more eye-roll worthy in terms of opportunism than anything to me.

I do love the red leather jacket though. I'd totally wear that. Sadly, it's sold out online here and no H&M within travelling distance actually has the collection instore.