Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Dark Tower - The Movie and TV Series. No. Just don't do it.

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar

The Dark Tower - The Movie and TV Series. No. Just don't do it.

And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

This sounds terrible. The story seems as if it's not going to translate well in film format. I know Lord of the Rings was supposed to be unfilmable and then it worked out great, but at the same time that is mostly a linear and grounded storyline even if it is complex. The Dark Tower absolutely isn't and actually includes references to being a book series within the narrative so I don't know how that will work. Maybe we'll be surprised but I'm in the 'this is a bad idea' camp at the minute.

Also, I hated large parts of the final books and think the storyline becomes too spastic even in book form.
    Last edited by JAE; 09-09-2010 at 02:10 PM.

The final books seemed rushed to me. The last one aggravated me to some degree. My husband is finally almost finished reading the entire series. He had previously stopped at book 4. He's frowned through most of this last book. I told him he wouldn't like it, but that he probably should read how it all ends.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    "No," was IMMEDIATELY what I thought when I read it.

Ron Howard is the only glimmer of hope it gives me. That and if they change the fuck out of post-accident crappy plot developments in the last 3 books.

I could see the first book could be translated well as a sparse Western, like David the Hawk would be cool... IF it was done right.

Some other elements, like Eddie's fight at the gangster club, when Jake was kidnapped by that freaky pirate dude, Blaine, etc could be done well too.

But.... lobstrosities? The twin people of Calla? Detta/Odetta? Some things would almost certainly be comically bad.

Plus I also learned he is supposedly working on a new book in the series. I don't know what I think about that.

It is I, you son of a bitch. blissgurl's Avatar
    NO, NO, NO! Just....NO! Can you tell how I feel about this? LOL! While reading the books I pictured them as movies in my head, but I also thought that if anyone ever dared to try it would be one gigantic mess. Yeah, Ron Howard is a fantastic director, but I don't know how even he will make it work, especially with the do a movie, do a tv season, do a movie, etc. thing. These books, even the last few, are so dear to me that if they changed much it would probably really upset me. The Lord of the Rings is, too, and they did change some stuff in those films, but I completely understood why they did what they did and they were still done very well.
    I am curious about what they would do with Oy, what they would have him look like, but, then again, if it were way off from my imagination it would probably piss me off, lol.
    @ Scarlet, yeah, if it wasn't done in just the right way, the lobstrosities & Detta/Odetta could wind up being uber cheesy!

Stephen King exclusive: Who should star in 'The Dark Tower'? 'The Twilight cast, of course!'

With news that Stephen King’s enormously popular book series The Dark Tower will be coming to a big and small screen near you, we here at EW.com could not stop ourselves from reaching out to the bestselling author (and EW columnist) via email to get a few more answers about the highly-anticipated project. Here’s what he had to say:

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: The Dark Tower is such a dense series — did you always think it needed more than a single movie or TV show treatment?
    STEPHEN KING: I always thought it would take more than a single movie, but I didn’t see this solution coming — i.e., several movies and TV series. It was Ron [Howard] and Akiva [Goldsman]‘s idea. Once it was raised, I thought at once it was the solution.

What about Ron Howard and NBC makes them a good fit for the franchise?
    When working as a director, Ron is very similar to the way I work as a writer. We both tell honest stories that have (I flatter myself) style and substance but not a lot of show-offy frills.

In a perfect world, who would play Roland? Eddie? Susannah? Jake?
    The Twilight cast, of course! Just kidding. I haven’t got as far as casting in my thoughts, but when I write about Susannah Dean, I always kind of see Angela Bassett in my mind’s eye. Mostly I just want good people in those parts. Ron Howard will find them, I’m sure.

And who would you want to play?
    I’d love to be the voice of Blaine the Mono.

There’s a lot of blood in the series — how much is the TV series going to be censored? It likely would have been easier to join forces with a network without restrictions, la HBO, no?
    I don’t see that as a problem at all! We’ll have just enough latitude to make a great series. I’ve worked in network TV before, and every time I was squeezed a little, it just made me look for creative solutions. Besides, I always like to play in the biggest auditorium available!

I'll also say that I think this is one of the worst ideas ever, guaranteed to be screwed up. But I'll also admit that his Angel Bassett nod made me say, "YES!" [but still.. no.. just no no no. ]

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Blaine the mono with his thick Maine accent?

"Ayuh Roland. Come on in he-ah and do some riddles."

Quote Originally Posted by Em View Post
    I'll also say that I think this is one of the worst ideas ever, guaranteed to be screwed up.
    Exactly. This is doomed to fail. There are definite parts of the books that have cinematic potential - lots of places in The Drawing of the Three and The Wastelands as well as some of the adventure parts of the final three - but there's so much that just isn't going to work. And don't forget all of the SK interconnections - reading The Dark Tower without reading almost everything else in the King canon is almost a waste.

Ok, Angela Bassett as Susannah. Yes, she's be great. Over all though. Please stop the film mono, I want to get off.

And a new book. I just can't wrap my head around that.

Oh, Sue, I thought you knew about the book! I found out about that last year some time.... I thought we talked about it briefly, but I guess I must be thinking about someone else. hrm.

Is another book really necessary? Unless he's going to expand on Jerico Hill (which would be nice), I don't know that I'm all that interested.

I don't think it's needed, either. Any expanding he wanted to do could be/could have been tackled in The Dark Tower graphic novels, imo. I guess it'll be interesting what he felt so important to reopen a series he put paid to long ago, if nothing else, but it is annoying in general.

Here's a case of me being torn. While I love Viggo, I just don't think he's the right fit. I'm not sure anyone known actor is actually. Since Howard is going through with this I think he needs to use unknowns for this or relative unknowns.

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/wood...SyoAhcuPfV0a0H

It is I, you son of a bitch. blissgurl's Avatar
    ^ Yeah, I agree. I'm not sure how to feel about this - I'm still not sure I like the idea of them making movies /tv show of these books. But I think Viggo is a better fit than Javier Bardem, though, if it really is between those two (and I think Bardem is a fantastic actor).
    Suck it, Shawn.

I'm not sure what to think about the "epic movie", tv series, movie, tv series, movie... THING. what what? what the hell? This is not going to go down well.