Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Screaming Kids in Public Places

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    The rooms at Mohegan Sun were also (last time I was there, which was years ago) a great deal more expensive.
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    (and near the exhibits, where there are signs asking not to make too much noise as so not to disturb the animals). .
    This is what pisses me off the most about loud kids in public places like the zoo. Without fail, every time I go there are kids throwing things, screaming, running around and acting like idiots and at the very least you'd think a mom would say "oh, the sign says to keep your voice down" but no! I've seen moms point to it and then seconds later let their kid screech at the gorillas. It makes it so unpleasant. For every fun kid you see enjoying his or herself at the zoo, there's another one ruining the experience for everyone, including other kids.

Quote Originally Posted by MumbletyPeg View Post
    This is what pisses me off the most about loud kids in public places like the zoo. Without fail, every time I go there are kids throwing things, screaming, running around and acting like idiots and at the very least you'd think a mom would say "oh, the sign says to keep your voice down" but no! I've seen moms point to it and then seconds later let their kid screech at the gorillas. It makes it so unpleasant. For every fun kid you see enjoying his or herself at the zoo, there's another one ruining the experience for everyone, including other kids.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was the reason the gorilla at my hometown zoo was nearly suicidal and always throwing shit at people. Or maybe that's where it picked up that particular skill.

For some reason I rarely, if ever, run into screaming kids in a restaurant. Supermarket yes, but not restaurant. But when I do run into them, I hate it, but I tell the kid, hey get it out now kid, cause you can't act like that when you get older.

I know it is unbearable, but truth is it is the only time in their lives that they can scream that loud to get out their dissatisfaction. What I really hate is when parents just ignore them.
    Life. Some of it's valuable, some of it's junk, but all of it is odd.

Worst ever: was the screeching sprog, running amok at my orthopedic surgeon's waiting room for over an hour. Imagine a bellowing child hurtling himself around a room filled with pre and post-op patients, while his mother blatantly ignored his behavior. Finally another patient lost her shit and told the mother to take him in hand before he hurt someone. I don't know who I was angrier at, his mother or the doctor's staff for not stepping in and telling them to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by ontheindianside View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was the reason the gorilla at my hometown zoo was nearly suicidal and always throwing shit at people. Or maybe that's where it picked up that particular skill.
    Almost all the animals at the SF Zoo seem pretty sad, and the worst ones are the ones most likely to be impacted by a lot of shouting/screaming. The gorillas are really off and the rhinos make me want to cry because they're a bit insane from the place. Lots of their birds look like they're in bad shape, too. I know the zoo took a hit after the tiger attack a couple years ago so maybe finances play into it, but it's hard not to make a connection between depressed animals and unruly zoo visitors who have no qualms about yelling at animals or throwing things at them if they're not "active" enough.

Somehow, the aquarium never seems to be as bad. I don't know if it's because it's in an enclosed space or if it's the lighting; since it's a little bit darker in an aquarium, I suspect that it makes people less likely to be rambunctious. This is good for me because I looooove the aquarium. I could spend hours watching jellyfish and nautilus.

authentic hotdog cart vendor Frangipani's Avatar
    omg ^ the renovations at the Academy are freaking incredible. I'll miss the 2 headed snake they had but yeah. Their aquarium is beyond awesome (thats the one youre referring to right?) best aquatic displays with the healthiest specimens I've seen in the country. Even better displays than Monterey Bay.
    Slippin' on my red dress, putting on my make-up

^ I LOVE the aquarium at the Academy of Sciences in SF! Although, the last time we were there (first Friday of 'spring break' this year) there were children EVERYWHERE!!! They were running, screaming, crying, etc. you name it... I even had a little kid run right into my side, like he thought he would go through me, and his mother gave me 'the stink eye'! ugh.

My sister and I took so many pictures of those jelly fish at the Academy... the floaty-ness and pinkness is hypnotizing!
    You don't have to do everything all by yourself.

Yup, I'm talking about the academy of sciences.

I imagine it gets pretty bad on the free days. After I posted that, I remembered that most of the times I've been there have been either down days or member times- the last time we went, it was some special member-only hour early in the day. We had a membership last year because it's actually cheaper than just paying every time I want to see a jellyfish. I know a girl who works with the cephalopods, too, so I like to go and check up on how my bros are doin' in that section.

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    Speaking of screeching apes, we went out to dinner tonight to celebrate my son's 18th birthday. Two tables over was a family of 5. The two immature male apes kept getting up and down presumably to use the restroom which is located very near the kitchen. I mean how many times does a person need to pee during a meal? The small female ape kept shrieking at the top of her 3 year old lungs. Not one hush or removal from the parents. They were too busy trying to talk over the shouting child adding to the cacophony. It was a very small Japanese restaurant so even if we moved, we would have still heard them perfectly. So aggravating!
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

You'll never leave Harlan alive. orange shampoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    My husband and I went to the Bronx Zoo last weekend, and let me tell you, the screechfest was out of control. I realize it was an open space so there's not much you can do, but a lot of these parents were just completely ignoring their children outright while they stood and SCREAMED at the top of their lungs (and near the exhibits, where there are signs asking not to make too much noise as so not to disturb the animals). After a while, the noise started to get to me. I can't imagine if I'd had to abide it indoors.

Additionally, I saw not one but 4 shit filled disposable diapers left on the ground. Worse is that they were about 5 feet from the trash bin.
    I really wish they'd have child-free days at zoos and aquariums. I get so frustrated trying to enjoy myself with all the screeching, getting stepped on, knocked into, etc. I just love it when the parents don't even care to notice -- like everyone is invisible except for their precious crotch goblin(s). Barf.

It was especially bad when we went to Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle. We were watching the snow leopards run around when a kid shoved himself in front of me once, twice... the third time, I wasn't having it. I stopped him and told him to knock it off. It's not my damn responsibility to discipline someone's spawn. (I'm surprised I wasn't arrested for OMG child abuse or somesuch.)

At that same zoo we witnessed a lazy-ass mother letting her little boy, bare ass hanging out and pants down around his ankles, piss on the side of the path. WTF is wrong with people?! The restrooms were maybe, um, 500 more feet down the way.

We're members of a smaller zoo/aquarium that's closer to where we live, and going early = FTW. If you show up right at opening you can have the exhibits mostly to yourself. It's surprising how much more active the fish/seahorses were without all the noise and banging on the glass!

too many screaming kids at the mall. why did I even go?

I truly feel for everyone who has to work there. I couldn't stay in Macy's since they were just so loud.

Quote Originally Posted by Churumbela View Post
    And for God's sake, DO NOT CHANGE YOUR BABY'S DIAPER ON THE TABLE, YOU NASTY PIG.

That is disgusting! I can't imagine changing a baby's diaper anywhere but a bathroom or maybe in my car. On a table that people will eat off of? YUCK!

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    Yeah, you know, that's how I would expect most people to feel about it, but it's pretty amazing just how many people think it's an acceptable location.
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.

it's still human poop...

eek...