Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Screaming Kids in Public Places

I don't care at all as long as they're not being a hostile or deliberately ostentatious arse about it. It's easy to be discreet about it so people don't even notice. Case in point: I once looked up from a plate of soup in a museum cafe to meet the full-on, nasty glare of this bint who was titleeeching her kid at the table opposite me. I hadn't even SEEN her before that moment, let alone known she was breastfeeding, and she was glaring at me with such grand have-at-it hostility that I assumed she actually wanted to start a fight with someone. Ugh. I surmised she was a psychotic hosebeast of epic proportions, finished my soup and sauntered out, safe in the knowledge that I have better and far more interesting things to do in life than try to provoke people with my tits in a restaurant.

It doesn't bother me really. Most mothers aren't making a spectacle of it. Usually they throw a baby blanket over their shoulder to cover it and you don't even realize they're breastfeeding.

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    It doesn't bother me if there's at least a modicum of discretion involved. Not because omg boobs are gross, but there is a sort of intimacy about it. Moms shouldn't have to go feed their kids in the toilet, because gross.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Some even wear special clothing for 'easy and discrete access' while in public. You never even notice. So most people think like that; perfectly fine as long as it is done in a respectful way. Discussions about it online often explode in ridiculous shitstorms, heh, but okay, it is the webs. Toilets are definitely not an option. I agree Kari, that there is something intimate about it. It can even be a most beautiful thing to behold in that way!
    And no, it is not the naked boobthing per se. It is just general nakedness I guess, that rubs me the wrong way, as if having a child puts you beyond etiquettes like "don't make too much noise while peoples are eating" (and there are ways to breastfeed discretely). I was always taught that it is disrespectful to wear clothes that show too much nakedness to a place where other people are eating; for men even more so than for women. For example, like how tanktops show your armpits. Fortunately, most people seem to agree.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Well I had a Kala moment tonight. We'd made dinner reservations at a smallish, cozy restaurant. On the opposite side of the restaurant from where we were seated there was a table of maybe half a dozen adults and half a dozen children, I'd guess aged between 2-6. They were pretty noisy from the moment we got there. My annoyance turned to anger, though, when the 4? year old stood in front of the waiter with her fists clenched at her sides and started screaming at him at the top of her voice, "I WANT SCAMPI!! I WANT SCAMPI!! I WANT SCAMPI!!! " I felt so sorry for the guy; if I were in his shoes I'm sure I would've gotten fired that night. For a little kid to treat wait staff like that indicates some truly terrible parents/ parenting both at home and in public. The fact that none of them felt outraged enough by her actions to jump up and immediately correct her and apologize profusely to the waiter absolutely disgusted me. I marched myself over to the table.

Me: Hi. We don't eat out very often, but this is a special occasion for us. Your children are completely ruining the evening.
    Table: Well we're almost through. We'll be leaving soon.
    M: Oh, are you? (checking their plates out) That's wonderful.
    T: We've been trying to tell them to be quiet, if you hadn't noticed.
    M: Yes, we've heard you telling them. And the fact that we're still hearing your children behave so badly shows just how ineffectual you all are.
    *silence*
    M: Yeah, so, fix that.

A couple of the parents took their children outside of the restaurant and must have tried to take some corrective measures, since when they returned the children looked like they were crying. They all left soon after, thankfully.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Not quite screaming in public, but just as bad. I was at a local nature preserve looking for early spring flowers and found a lovely patch of crocus blooming ... Except there was a family there with two kids who'd already discovered it. And guess what the kiddos were doing? Running all over the blossoms and PICKING THE FLOWERS. The mom and dad didn't do shit to try and stop them. So I walked over to them and in as nice a voice as possible said "If you pick all the flowers then there won't be any more left for other people to see! And when you step on the blossoms you are ruining them." The mom and dad gave me a dirty look but piled the kids into their SUV and took over.
    These parents don't seem to be instilling into their children any kind of healthy respect and appreciation for nature in all its magnificence. They also aren't teaching the kids about the concept of sharing for all to enjoy nor are they educating them about boundaries: this was a public preserve not their backyard garden.

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    ^do not get me started. Watching idiot parents let their kids daily desecrate our garden area. Seeing parents let tbeir kids destroy and climb over clearly marked no trespass areas in state parks. So infuriating.
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

Parents, please, don't take your 3 year old kid that can't keep silent to Jurassic World IMAX3D? Silence is not f**king optional. Yes I could have texted security or leave to get them, but that would also ruin the experience.

Momma gorilla is doing a much better job than momma human.