Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Screaming Kids in Public Places

A close friend of mine has twin girls who are constantly chattering and squealing. She's told me on numerous occasions that she doesn't like to take them to restaurants, etc., because she worries their incessant chattering will bother other people. They're not even that bad, I've babysat and taken them to restaurants before. I wouldn't take them to a quiet, fine dining place, but in a booth in a Mexican restaurant you can't even tell.

But I have this other friend who has one child that she pretends doesn't exist when she goes to restaurants. I've had to stop going with her because the last time we went to a restaurant, someone from the opposite side of the restaurant came over to our table and said, "Is that your child? She is walking all over the restaurant, talking to people who are trying to eat." And my friend goes, "Oh, she's so social! Hee hee." Even when she was in the booth with us, she was jumping up and down in the seat, squealing. My friend's response was to talk louder so I could hear her. I was mortified, but she's not my kid and it's exhausting for me to take on the parent role every time I'm with her.

I love the "if I ignore it/talk over it, it will stop" approach to parenting. It clearly works so well, particularly in public.

There is some neighbour in my complex that has a kid that screams incessantly for hours sometimes. I can hear the thing through my windows and have to crank the volume if I'm watching or listening to anything. And honest to god, if I knew which apartment it was, I'd call the cops. Public is bad enough, but at home, makes me want to pull my hair out.

I took my 4-year-old cousin to see Toy Story 3 a month or so ago. We went to a 6pm movie on a Monday night and we were the only ones in the theater until about five minutes before the movie started. A young couple with two small children came in and sat directly behind us. One of the children was probably only a year old, the other was maybe 3 or 4.

As soon as the movie started, the older kid got up and started running and jumping up and down the aisle. This continued for about ten minutes while his mom constantly yelled, "COME HERE! SIT DOWN! STOP DOING THAT!" Neither parent made the effort to get up and physically place the kid back in his seat. Common sense tells you that's the next logical step when yelling at your child for ten minutes doesn't work.

Then the smaller of the two started screaming and crying. And crying. And crying. Finally, my cousin turned to me and whispered, "Ryan, I think that boy needs a Time Out." Eventually the couple got up and left, and we were able to enjoy the rest of our movie.

When a 4-year-old is annoyed by kids, you know it's bad.

There was a bunch of kids running around in the store I work at. They were knocking into displays (which miraculously didn't tip over) and just being obnoxious. I wasn't working at the time, and I just had enough. I yelled "Hey, this isn't your personal playground!". The mom just gave me a look, I gave her a look and went on my way.

When my mom was a cashier, some lady and her kid were in her line, and the boy was playing with the receipt thingy. My mom calmly said "please don't touch that, hon". Well, the mom got mad and went to the service desk and complained that my mom yelled at her son. The manager went to my mom and asked if that was true, and the customer behind that lady said "She didn't yell, that kid was going to break something". The mom got even more pissed and said "I won't shop here again!". Good, and take your little asshole with you!
    Last edited by Mori; 09-20-2010 at 08:28 AM.

authentic hotdog cart vendor Frangipani's Avatar
    ^ Thats worse than the parents who encourage strangers to discipline their kids for them. Being ACTIVELY aware your kid's a fuck knob, letting him do whatever he wants and then getting pissed at a person just trying to protect their property? argh

Also, I think its terrible that it's come down to parents and their brats holding businesses hostage with their money and poor behavior. Families are a huge source of money and business is business, I guess.

The restaurant I used to work for was hosed down everyday with a powerhose, so that place was made for kids. But I hate seeing kids when I'm trying to have a nice dinner out.
    Slippin' on my red dress, putting on my make-up

Well, thankfully my mom didn't get in trouble, but people do get away with a lot of shit in my store. Not really kid related, but they are afraid these people will go to the higher ups and cause a commotion. I have to say, though, I don't think many people do know about the complaint process, but the store managers are so paranoid that they just give the customer what they want anyway. The system really sucks in retail.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Regarding the article I linked in the original post of this thread: there have been over 10,000 comments on it. Hot topic indeed. Some of the responses are well thought out & come from parents who don't tolerate bellicose shenanigans from their kids, especially in public places like restaurants. However, there are also comments which indicate that the onus really falls on others to STFU, stay at home, or avoid public places altogether.

You want a peaceful dinner? Learn to cook and eat at home!
    Sometimes the best way to handle a stubborn roudy loud child in public is by ignoring their tantrums because attention only makes it worse. I will not have my childs education dictated by those who have no tolerance for children.
    The quiet place with no noise and no kids, it's called your house.
    first off,,all you insensitive assholes can go suck one!!!!i am not going to apologize for having an upset child,,,for what ever the reason my daughter is crying,,she will cry!!!whether it be in a restaurant,or where ever we decide to be at the time!!!!ALL I'M GONNA SAY IS,,IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT,,,THEN YOU LEAVE!!IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANY CONSIDERATION FOR MY CHILD,,THEN WHY SHOULD I HAVE ANY FOR YOU!!!!!
    children are a blessing from the Lord. if you want silence go to your home and lock yourself in a closet.
    I'm a fairly reasonable person, but this stuff is too much.

^ This. I really don't understand the lack of parenting and why it is acceptable. My mum had no qualms about pulling us from the store cart full in the aisle when me and my brother acted up. Or apologizing for getting in someone's way...

The whole stay home theory is such a joke. No one is going to stay at home from a job that encounters rotten kids. I had a friend get plowed over on a Friday waiting b/c some kid on heelies thought rolling around the restaurant was more fun than sitting in the booth. And she was seriously injured. And I bet there were no repercussions for him either.

Quote Originally Posted by Girl Friday View Post
    ^ This. I really don't understand the lack of parenting and why it is acceptable.
    I think it's part of the Mommy Industrial Complex and the re-romanticization of motherhood - the same process that glorifies breast feeding and denounces you if you choose not to do it, tells you you're not a good woman/wife/(certainly not a person) if you don't want kids, and makes parents in general think that their lives - and those of everyone around them - should revolve completely around their EXTREMELY AMAZING CHILD.

And those comments are amazing. I'm baffled. I should stay at home because I want to enjoy everyday activities like eating and shopping around other people who have some sense of decency and respect for their fellow humans? I'm not the one who chose to have a little creature that I have to take care of for 18+ years. And if your kid is so rotten (or neglected - but, you know, by upper/middle-class white ladies, so it's okay) that you have to let it scream until it wears itself out, you should learn to cook and eat at home. What crazy people.

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheindianside View Post
    I think it's part of the Mommy Industrial Complex and the re-romanticization of motherhood - the same process that glorifies breast feeding and denounces you if you choose not to do it, tells you you're not a good woman/wife/(certainly not a person) if you don't want kids, and makes parents in general think that their lives - and those of everyone around them - should revolve completely around their EXTREMELY AMAZING CHILD.
    And most importantly of all - a parent is her/his child's BEST FRIEND.

authentic hotdog cart vendor Frangipani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by other pete View Post
    And most importantly of all - a parent is her/his child's BEST FRIEND.
    thats sick, my mother did that too much to me and all i did was pity her for it in the end. i really despise that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    Regarding the article I linked in the original post of this thread: there have been over 10,000 comments on it. Hot topic indeed. Some of the responses are well thought out & come from parents who don't tolerate bellicose shenanigans from their kids, especially in public places like restaurants. However, there are also comments which indicate that the onus really falls on others to STFU, stay at home, or avoid public places altogether.

I'm a fairly reasonable person, but this stuff is too much.
    Part of me agrees. Not with the all caps crap and the "blessinz from ze lord" stuff. When I was on @ I argued with that point of view regarding annoying cell phone users on the train. I draw the line at ear splitting noise, danger to others & property damage and rule breaking. Remember that story about that lady who let her kids sit in the handicap section because 'it was only for a few stops!'. yeah, not ok.
    Slippin' on my red dress, putting on my make-up

Re: Kala's quotes: the sound of semi-literate trash defending itself. They're almost as shrill and repugnant as their offspring. OK, more. At least the kids aren't yet typing badly-parsed defences of the indefensible in screechy-font on the internets. Yet.

Then of course we have the smarmy religious types with their 'childrens r a blessings!' bollocks. Yes, maybe they are a blessing, but nobody wants to hear your blessing expressing itself to the full extent of its lungs in public.

I have no problem with kids in eating places provided they behave or are taken in hand immediately should they start to misbehave. It's quite possible. It just takes actual, you know, parenting.

I used to eat in posh restaurants in hotels with my parents from age five. However, if I so much as threatened to pull any shenanigans whatsoever, there would be consquences, and not ones I would enjoy. Result: I could safely be taken out to public places, sit and eat quietly, not throw food on the floor (my mum would never, ever tolerate that shit) and listen while adults were talking instead of interrupting.

Quote Originally Posted by gog View Post

I used to eat in posh restaurants in hotels with my parents from age five. However, if I so much as threatened to pull any shenanigans whatsoever, their would be consquences, and not ones I would enjoy. Result: I could safely be taken out to public places, sit and eat quietly, not throw food on the floor (my mum would never, ever tolerate that shit) and listen while adults were talking instead of interrupting.
    Same here! I loved going to restaurants when I was little, and I knew that if I misbehaved, I would no longer be afforded the privilege of eating out. We didn't have a whole lot of money when I was growing up, so eating out was a BIG DEAL and any misbehavior from me that could ruin our night out came with punishment. When my dad threatened to put me in the car - I believed him!

Hell, my mum once DID put my sister in the car. Only took once.

I don't eat out much at all these days, but last time I went somewhere nice (a country house hotel) with my parents and nephew, there was a family with two little boys, not much older than 5 and 7, who behaved absolutely beautifully. Quiet, well-mannered, eating like human beings using the correct utensils. It's sad that seeing that - even at posh places - is quite unusual these days. I felt like someone should give the mum and dad a medal or a round of applause or something.